1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dash cams, who's got them and what is best

Discussion in 'General' started by colin96, Oct 22, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I use the Blackvue DR900S-2ch 4k with magic box(always on/records on motion and shuts that function off dependent on car voltage, etc.).
    Easy to install and very good clarity and Front/Rear protection, parking mode.

Blackvue has one now that you can add a SIM card too and check on the car remotely for the same price as what I paid
    https://www.thedashcamstore.com/bla...ifi-cloud-capable-dashcam-for-front-and-rear/

EDIT: I believe if you add it to your cart, and complete all the info, and don't press checkout. in a day or so, they'll send you a 10% off. Not sure if that still works, but it may

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    younglion likes this.
  2. Nine29

Nine29 Well-Known Member

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

do you go to a doctor for medical advice? nope.
    just ask the beeb, Dr. Beeb, BuD

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You don't have to call it "Doctor" ..... :D

BigBird likes this.
  5. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Got this one last year in my Durango and works perfectly with a 128gig SD card
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075VRXRD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front and back
    Night vision
    Park

I also added the GPS for speed: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072BPP411/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And got this one for my bike: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07M5TBLRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a 128gig SD card

PLZ note that the prices are Canadian... so surely cheaper down where you are ;)

6. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

We’ve used the cheapo one Walmart sells for 2 years. Works great minus replacing the cord twice. They replaced it both times. Hyperion makes it I believe. Sends the 1080 video right to my phone.

7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

We’ve used the cheapo one Walmart sells for 2 years. Works great minus replacing the cord twice. They replaced it both times. Hyperion makes it I believe. Sends the 1080 video right to my phone.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Does it send it twice? :Poke:

9. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I'm in Victoria, BC, which granted, is further south than damn near all the rest of the country but sadly things aren't any cheaper here.

;):beer:

10. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Ah didn't know... Indeed quite expensive your neck of the woods !!!:confused:

Well still not expensive the items I posted ;)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rexing V1 Pro, easy to install and works great. Under $200 on Amazon.

younglion likes this.
  12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

So let's say your dash cam/rear view cam catches some asshole bumping your car in a parking lot or hell even something as small as a door ding but the douchebag wasn't polite enough to leave a note or maybe doesn't even realize they did it and your cam also catches their license plate. What do you do? File a police report? Seems a little bit of a waste of resources but I gotta say, gouging one of those types of assholes would make me happy. How would you proceed? Just give the report to insurance and let them pay for the repair and the douchebag probably never even knows?

While I also would like to get cams for my wife and I's vehicles primarily to cover our asses, the thought of being able to catch inattentive parking lot cock sneezes and make life really inconvenient for them for a bit also makes me happy. But not sure how plausible that is.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Leave a note on the windshield letting the owner know that you witnessed the incident and you have it on video.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes file a report - you'll need to go there, the cops won't come out for that - and then put the claim in to your insurance company to get it fixed.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, crap, your own car. Never mind. :oops:

16. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What are the chances that said individual ever even knows they were caught besides you leaving a note for them? I'm guessing police won't even pursue something that minor, nor would insurance find it worth the required resources to have it pursued, right?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The cops won't for just a door ding no, the insurance company can look up their plate and contact their insurance.

OGs750 likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’ve given my dash cam footage to some LEO agencies for aggressive/reckless driving and tailgating incidents, only had one call me back and ask if I’d testify, never heard more about it after that.

BigBird likes this.
  19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yep file a report. It may change how or what part of your policy covers the damage.

Went off shore tuna fishing for the first time off Ocean Shitty, Maryland about 17 years ago with some guys from work. Charter boat and all that. Had a blast.
    Came back from the trip to find the passender side front of my Accord smashed into and did significant damage.

Called OCPD and filed a report with them, and because I did...the damage was covered under the Uninsured Motorist part of my policy. Deductible $250.

If I hadn't, it would have been covered under the other parts of my policy that carry a $1000 deductible.

Police report saved me $750.

Quicktoy likes this.
  20. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

This. You're insurance will go after the other driver and get them to pay. You won't need to interact with the other party at all.

21. BigBird

BigBird blah

my wife was asked by a detective for the dashcam footage. we sent it over, but never heard anything. it was crazy though. a driver in a new body 750il crashed into the back of a car, and then almost hit 3 other cars getting away from the scene. the ROAV by Anker videocam was able to clearly see the license plate of the other vehicle. So I do also recommend that camera on a budget.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FVX74Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    younglion likes this.