1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dash cams, who's got them and what is best

Discussion in 'General' started by colin96, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Because there may or may not be another part of the story.

2. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

She made it a point to tell me she was a lesbian

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Add this one to the checklist of reasons for leaving the states. A camera on 24/7 while you are driving when the odds are you may possibly get in 1/2/3 fender benders in a lifetime of driving. I just don't get it?

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Shouldn't you be hiding money somewhere?

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I am, but take a little chunk out on vacation fishing Panama and Belize for the next 2 months.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

yeah...it's pretty much everywhere you go now,well probably not on a boat, but definitely on land. And it's not exclusive to the US. Russia probably made them famous.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Has nothing to do with the states at all. Has everything to do with cool videos most of which come from Russia.

8. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Belize FTMFW!!!! I want to retire there. :cool:

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I love the music you hear playing on the car radios in those Russian videos.

Gino230 likes this.
  10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

A question for the lawyers- if you are involved in some kind of incident, and you have a camera, can you be compelled to turn over the footage or even better, punished if you don't?

You don't have to testify against yourself, so why should you have to provide video in the event you have it?

11. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Testimony ≠ Physical evidence

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

We just had a fatality and one of the vehicles had a dash cam. The driver voluntarily handed over the camera. If not, we would have seized it, then obtained a search warrant. We do the same thing with the CDR (black box) and cell phones.

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If it's my fault first thing I'ma do post crash is stuff the cam & all associated cable in the console.

If it's not my fault first thing I'ma do post crash is copy the latest loop to my phone & upload it to the cloud, youtube, and dropbox, and call my wife & tell her to download it wherever she is.

Then yall coppers can have it.

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Does it have to be a potential felony or fatality for you to be able to seize it? I am more asking out of curiosity. @auminer If they are able to seize it, I imagine you could be charged with destroying evidence? Seems crazy if it's your property.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

what would happen then if it was your fault, and you got seriously injured, and couldn't stash it. then I guess this applies

16. DaddyPhatSaks

DaddyPhatSaks Well-Known Member

17. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Bumping this.

Mine has died.
    Looking for the new latest/greatest

18. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Another bump...

I'm in the marketplace for a front and rear view setup and ideally installed because, well, I'm a useless twat.

I'm too scared to risk a cheap Amazon Chinese unit yet the name brands like Garmin are all seemingly $450+ installed - outta my budget.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I have 2 Garmin dashcam 56’s. They take a 256GB flash card, and I can get almost two days of video (1440p w/ audio) before it starts overwriting itself. Wanna say they ran me like $150 each plus the cards.

Each one comes with two windshield buttons, and with a little finagling and some double sided tape, you can use a CR2032 battery in place of the hexagonal button they ship with.

They’ve already saved my bacon. It’s curious how something characterized as a bizarre thing to try and protect yourself does exactly that when certain people file false police reports against you, and the time, date and location-stamped video is used in court to get the false charges dismissed.

Don’t leave home without it. :D

younglion and StaccatoFan like this.
  20. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I want one for my wife's car and then I'll see how it goes with her as a test mule! LOL...

From my limited research, a 32GB HD SD card (Samsung is recommended) works great, have the units hardwired into the car, and the newer ones have "night-vision" and "parking" mode that kicks in when an object gets within 9' of the front of the car.

HD 1080p seems to be pretty common so clarity should be good on all of them, I'm just hoping for real world users like yourself to chime in and offer actual reviews.