1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Motocycle Paint + Race Bodywork

Discussion in 'Other' started by D-Swens, Jul 25, 2008.

1. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

Just got back a helmet that I did a while ago to touch up some really minor damage, durring the touch-up, I updated the lid by adding some 24k silver leaf on the front and back, and some silver metal flake in some of the graphics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. D-Swens

A Doug Chandler Rep I did for a really cool guy out in Cali:up:

...on a brand new Arai that I hooked him up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. shocker69

shocker69 Well-Known Member

sick work once again.

4. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

helmet looks sick, how much do you charge to do a helmet?

5. BuiltforSin

BuiltforSin In the grass

The green Arai looks awesome.

6. D-Swens

Thank You much, greatly apprecieated:up:

Thanks dude, I'll make sure your bike is on point too.

7. D-Swens

Thanks a lot, I'll make a new post to try to describe the helmet process and price ranges involved. Because helmets can be so incredibly custom, use a lot of really expensive Kandies, Pearls, Gold/Silver leafs, metal flakes ect, and have such a range of finish qualities, the price ranges can vary greatly. In general, the final price is based mostly on the complexity of the job, followed by materials involved, and the desired finish quality.

I really firmly believe that you should strive for perfection when it comes to the quality of paint work on a helmet. Despite its relative size to an entire bike, the detail work involved in creating a truly awesome looking helmet can easily take 3 times as long as a bike, or a lot more in some cases. Just as an example, after the diss-assembly and basic masking and sanding prep work are done on a helmet, I use dental files and pics to go in and prep the inside and outside of all the moving parts, vents, holes and channels ect.

In general, custom helmets start out around $250 - $350 for basic designs in cool colors with a great finish quality. That green Arai above was in the $400ish range. Helmets involving more custom Kandy and metal flake colors, with many layers of color, and some more serious custom artwork involving Name/numbers, metal leafs ect generally run in the $400 - $650 range for something that should really bring some attention at the track. In the $500 - $800 range and beyond, we can start talking about a one-of-a-kind creation that should be one of the cooler helmets you should ever see. That really allows me to open the door and put as much time into it as I want to, in order to really strive for perfection and innovative color and fish attributes that will really exemplify "custom" on a whole new level.

Helmets are generally a great thing to give me a call about and talk about design ideas and price ranges, and I always do my best to talk you through the process and try to figure out how we can get the most out of your target price range, and help you develop your ideas.

I've got about 10 custom helmets in process at the shop right now, hopefully soon to become some of my best work ever. I'd like to think every helmet can be better than the one before it...

Thanks again...

8. D-Swens

A slick new BMW I just finished to go with the OEM Acid Green Tank...should be easy to pick out on the track:D

The windscreen completes the front plate when installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

dont forget if you want your helmet to really pop, ask swenson about silver leaf, gold leaf, and verigated gold leaf

10. bird_dog0347

bird_dog0347 Major League Infidel

Wow man, your work is great and prices are basically what it cost me this past weekend to do it myself! While I don't regret what I spent on it compared to your work, I do take a lot of pride knowing I did it myself but I gained a TON of respect for just how hard it is to do a 2 color job and make it look good. For what you are charging, I don't know how you feel it is worth your time man... Props to you on some amazing work, and next set of body work might just go your way in order to save myself the trouble since the cost will be close to the same!

11. tterrag

tterrag Well-Known Member

helmet

Verigated leaf will be put on my helmet. I can't wait to see it. Its gonna be different and cool. just wait and see.....

12. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

PM Sent

13. camden

camden Member

PM sent

14. D-Swens

Haha...thanks dude. Yeah it has to be a labor of love at least to some extent. Glad you got to recognize the extreme cost and massive amount of time it takes to make these 2wheelers look beautiful:D

15. D-Swens

It will definitely be a statement piece! I think my artwork will pale in comparison to what was already on there:D A lot of people have come into the shop in the last few weeks and seen the lid so far and thought it was really cool...I'll post up pics soon.

16. D-Swens

Back at ya guys...

17. D-Swens

Recently finished up this 1000RR project. All color details and fades ect done in paint, and Kruzel put some of his magic down on the really nice customized decal kit. Notice the custom "WERA" logos with the "Hanspree" look.

There are still a few more authentic touches that will be added once the stuff is mounted up (windscreen decals that go across the upper + screen ect).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. D-Swens

Just finished up this clean OEM style Kawi. Even on nice simple OEM style jobs, all details including the pinstripes on the number plates are painted and under 5 coats of high-gloss clear, perfectly smooth so that you can run your hands over and wipe down aggressively with rags and cleaners if you need to. You will never find pinstripping tape that lifts and peels on any job that leaves my shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. D-Swens

Got a chance to finally get my own ride finished up this fall, finally ready to be the race caboose for next season. These pics were shot on a cloudy, rainy day, which sucks because there is a TON of pearl and fade work ect that didn't show up. I'll add pics in the sun or lights as soon as I get it decaled up and fully assembled...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. tomato_racing

tomato_racing Well-Known Member

Looks great! Are those Sharkskinz on your bike?