1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cripple triples

Discussion in 'Tech' started by baconologist, Dec 6, 2015.

1. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

Yes, that is how my triples are converted. I have two 2008+ R6s with the following done:

1. Remove main FI and add a dummy with a closed loop of water
    2. Remove shower FI and add a dummy with a closed loop of water
    3. Remove spark plug and ground to frame (let it spark)
    4. Put in a pop off valve (or a dead spark plug) to stop debris from getting in the cylinder
    5. Map

That is all you *need* to do. Can be done in a couple of hours and can be converted back in even less time.

There are details of all of the successful methods at http://450triple.com.

2. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Closed loop of water? What? Both the primary and secondary injectors are on a common rail. Got a picture?

These (less one bikes) seem like a hack to get into a class that A) people can't build a decent bike for for a reasonable cost. B) People can't figure out a solution to get there bike to be competitive (hint: its the rider, not the bike), C) People took autoshop in high school and now think they should be running GM's engineering division or VW's for that matter.

Yes there is some merit to the "I don't want" that much power. Unfortunate as it is, the answer is in their right wrist.

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Not really. Step one is to get bike with right amount of power. Step two, immediately following step one, is to increase power :)

4. Fuel lubricates fuel injectors and fuel pumps. You can't just run water through it without damaging the injector or have it sieze up in the long term. We tried this years ago (10+) using a fuel pump and a couple injectors to pump water for some stupid smokey burnout idea someone had using a bunch of crap we had laying around (don't ask it's not even worth explaining). It failed because the internals of the fuel pump and injector both fail without proper lubrication. The pintle in the injector will sieze up. In that closed loop system without air being introduced I venture to say that it'll take longer to fail but that's a terrible way to do that.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Let's not rule out the shear difficulty of getting parts for some of the bikes with the "correct" amount of power. A ton of VFR400 parts are now "NLA" and we won't be getting anything as nice at the "correct" hp area for the foreseeable future. The CBR250 is a turd, the 300's aren't much better and that little KTM thing everyone will be running in Moto America is a glorified third world moped. So what are the options for a trick small bore machine other than to create what the OEM's won't do for this market place?

6. TWF2

Why do you have to make something if OEM does not make anything in that size? Plenty ~300cc from oem. There is cbr 500 but nobody wants it either. If not enough jump to 650 class.
    What is point of making triples out of 600's when they make more power than 650 class. There is sv, kawasaki, fz7, ducati...
    This bikes are not in between 300's and 650's power wise. They would need to make 50-60hp to fit there.

7. emry

This debate is silly. Get the rules to support a class for what the OEM's make, not what you can fit into the rules......There is no market for trick small bore (or large bore, Muzzy's Raptor comes to mind) race machines.... You are looking at 20,000 (world) vs 20 (national race class) in unit sales middle weights. OEMs survive off mass wholesale unit volume. If you want trick, design it yourself, have lunch with Buell and put it into production and make your millions. Otherwise race a scooter like everywhere else in the world does.

The whole debate about cripple triples just screams "I can't competitively race a 600 but I bought one" or "the 600 class is scary, where can I race if i bought a bike i shouldn't have?" Oh, same issue.

8. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Geez, who pissed in Emry's Wheaties? Lots of racers enjoy doing something that is a little different but which fits into a slot in the rules and maybe requires a bit of ingenuity. If it was otherwise everyone would be racing bone stock 600s. The result of a cripple build is a competitive 450 with a modern frame and wide wheels for a budget amount of money. Lightweight bikes are fun as sh*t to race, and don't burn through tires. And I'll bet AFM won't turn away the entry fees from their 450 class, which sounds like it is doing pretty good.

And Zoran doesn't get why someone wants a "lightweight" bike that makes more horsepower than a 650? One of the main points in bike racing is to come to a race with more power than your competition!

9. TWF2

You don't get what thread is about. :)
    OP does not want more power than sv, he wants something in between 250 and sv.

10. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Who goes all the way back to the beginning on something like this?:D

Cripples are not really what he is looking for, and there really isn't a lot in that category, and not a demand either. Maybe you can build him another SV500...

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

So before I start a kissing match or make people complain, is a Daytona 675 legal if it's displacement is shrunken?

I've been thinking about it and even spoke aboutbit a while back but mongo was busy at the time to officially tell me one way or the other.

Would be cool to build since I've got a few just sitting around....

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yes.

And I have no clue what the hell would be the point of injecting water into it. It's simple, buy an extra set of injectors, get some gas PROOF epoxy, block off the injector, unplug the coil and you're done.

13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Yep. He wants a "modern" bike that is legal for D super. CBR500 is about it. Other choices are Honda Hawk, FZR400, EX500, Duc800. Another choice is Aprilia 450/550 motard but those things are grenades.
    The best thing the OP could do is move up to a LW Twins legal bike, but he doesn't want to for some odd reason....

14. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

I am not going to get into "Yet Another SV650 Only" argument. That has been beaten to death.

The 450 triple is a viable platform, helps to solve the gap between 40hp bikes and 120 hp bikes and are fun to ride.

They aren't going away; they are becoming more popular.

You can run water through a fuel injector in a closed loop without a problem. There are several 450 triples doing this that have been running water for 3+ years without a single issue. My current bike ran WERA, AFM, CVMA and OMRRA last year without a single issue in the injectors.

There are some in New Zealand that don't bother running any liquid through the injectors.

Some people run fuel through them, one guy uses gatorade for some reason.

There is an effort to eliminate them completely by creating a dummy electronic bit that lets the ECU think an injector is there and firing correctly.

[​IMG]

15. Venom51

I don't see why it wouldn't be.

But Emery will label you a punk ass scared little boy for not racing it as a 675 as the OEM's intended. :D

16. Venom51

Couldn't possibly be that the 50+ year old guy that asked the question doesn't feel the need to run a 600 and dislikes Suzuki motorcycles enough to never own one could it.

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

True. Kind of like how I hate Hondas..

18. Venom51

Yep. We all have our odd ticks about such things.

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Doesn't the R6 require this otherwise it throws a code? Or is it the Coil. I can't remember why but I recall that the ECU needed to be tricked. I ran a CBR600RR how I had it. But I see how you did it. Makes sense and looks easy. But don't even get me started on Gas Vapor igniting.....

20. emry

Yep, it will set a code on an R6.

Now I get the water bit, pretty funny actually. Getting an inductor that has the same value as an injector would fool the ECU quite handily, most ECU's just look for the flyback voltage to raise above a certain level..