1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cripple triples

Discussion in 'Tech' started by baconologist, Dec 6, 2015.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Talk to Zoran the SV master. He will build you SV400, SV500, SV600. Whatever you want.

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They guys racing the cripples in the AFM are competitive with the SV's now that Catching isn't racing all the time. Modern bikes with less hp means great handling and WFO more of the time than not. They're faster than my ZXR400 that currently makes about 70 Hp and handles better than anything else I've ridden/raced.

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

They not beating sv in corners :). There is nothing wrong with sv handling.
    OP is looking for less power, basically something in 300-500cc range would be ideal. sv400 (50hp) or sv500 (60hp) would fit but he does not want sv and those are not easy to get. Other option is CBR500 but is also twin like sv, with less power than stock sv400 :)
    Inline 4 are also option, like gray market 400's or fzr400 if any survived. This are in 60hp range.
    btw. I still have zx400 collecting dust in my garage, will sell it cheap :)

4. TWF2

Those you can buy, in Japan :)
    I do have top end from 400, left over from 500 conversion. I should bolt that top end to 650 bottom and have long stroke small bore something.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Air compressor?

6. TWF2

They come handy :)
    Or pit bike

7. Newsshooter

So you building a cripple or were you just stirring things up on Barf? :)

8. TWF2

No, building FZ07 now that we got those cripples out of our class :)
    Not interested in cripples.

9. Newsshooter

That's what I figured, would be fun to see Dan on well built cripple blitz the field though, while they're riding pretty well there hasn't been anyone fast on them yet.

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

sent you an email Z

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Guess I'll have to make a guest appearance on one and change that! :D lol

12. Newsshooter

So you're "fast" now? :D

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

He meant he would show up to prove that they were relatively fast. As in relative to him they would indeed be fast. :D

cajun636 and Newsshooter like this.
  14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

What Kenny said... Unfortunately lol

15. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

BTW, a triple has been run in WERA already. I ran in three events last year, Autoclub, Las Vegas and Miller. The bike is legal in Formula 2, DSB (but not DSS, I am working on Mongo :) and Heavyweight Twins which can be interesting.

The bikes are extremely competitive against SVs to the point that the win comes down to the rider and not the bike.

The bikes tend to loose 33% of the horsepower, not 25% which people are trying to overcome. The additional loss is due to the piston still existing in the bike to keep the balance on the crank.

As for converting one, they are getting easier and easier. You do not need to crack the motor, you don't even need to pull cams anymore as the bike can be disabled physically from external (disable fuel and spark in the cylinder) making the conversion doable in an hour or two.

With all of the "last generation" 600 race bikes on the market, it is easy to get one and convert it to race in the 80hp categories. When the current R6 turns into last generation you will be able to get used 600 race prepped bikes super cheap.

16. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

Is that how ppl are converting their r6's in the AFM? Can you explain a little more on this process?

I'm extremely interested to get back to racing with the AFM and a 450 seems perfect.

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Seems like way too easy to bend the rules. By doing it electronically. Flip the map switch and the ecu goes into a different program. Zoom zoom...

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Wouldn't you lose less hp by doing the extra work and popping the motor apart to take the valves out and take the rings off the piston ? Seems like it would be worth it.

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Unfortunately it's not that easy. I mean it could probably be worked in and done that way but it's not currently.

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

This plus some other stuff yes..