1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craigslist - Cash only!

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyTide, Jun 19, 2018.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

So, looking at a motorcycle, and guy seems adamant on cash only. I asked if he'd accept a certified check from my bank. He still prefers cash. Communication (emails) thus far seems legit (I know, I know...). I'm not keen on traveling with a lot of cash regardless if he's legit feller.

What could be his reasoning you think? Only off top of my head would be planning to rob me, or someone? I actually don't think this is the case, but why else?

2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

My buddy got burnt for 30k on a "certified bank check" cash only for me if I'm selling something also.

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Bank check. With that you have to get a legit name. It helps if it goes south. And make sure you get a middle initial for the check. Helps with tracking people down. Photo their Driver’s license if you can.

vizsladog and SpeedyTide like this.
  4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I've pretty much paid cash for every bike purchase I have made other than at a dealer. Even a bank draft or a money order can be cancelled. I wouldn't look at that by itself as a red flag, but I always take precautions.

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Probably wants to tell the wife he only got a couple grand for it when in reality he's getting much more :)

Mgossel and TLR67 like this.
  6. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I'd go with him to his bank and he could cash/deposit it right then.

j cal and Gorilla George like this.
  7. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I sell cash only. Cash doesn't bounce.

8. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Pain in the ass for the seller. Show up, count out the cash, do paper work, shake hands, load up and go.

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Agreed, with precautions cash only

10. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Probably wants cash so you can't try and rip him off with a fake check. Take cash, problem solved.

11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Just take cash and a pistol or go with a friend. Preferably a buff guy. There's so many scams nowadays that cash is just the least hassle especially when buying a bike off of someone. No funny stuff.

vizsladog and TLR67 like this.
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bank checks can take time to clear as well.... cash only here to people I don’t know

13. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

This is the first thing I thought of after reading this post. :crackup:

image.jpeg

TX Joose and cha0s#242 like this.
  14. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

When looking at stacker trailers a few years ago, a seller wanted cash only. It was a used trailer so only about 20-25k, but the bank had their fare share of questions about why we needed that much cash (as opposed to a bank check or something). The bank suggested the seller was trying to avoid child support or some other mandated payment. Not sure how much the bike is, but sometimes getting cash is a hassle...

15. If I don't know someone, I prefer cash or I want the check to clear before I release the item.

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Tough shit for the bank. You don’t need to know jack shit about why I want MY f@cking money. I don’t give a shit why he wants cash or what he may potentially try to hide it for. Not my problem.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Face to face deals and cash. That way there's no regrets.

Funkm05 and DrA5 like this.
  18. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Agreed, but it was a really more of a casual conversation than a CIA interrogation before letting us have our money. So we didn't feel the need to get defensive over small talk.

Funkm05 likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Lotsa people like/prefer to meet in and around police station parking lots if they’re nervous about the cash aspect.

TurboBlew, panthercity and G2G like this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How much cash are we talking? There’s a certain amount (I think $10k) that the bank has to report when you deposit. Up to that amount I always prefer cash.

dobr24 likes this.