1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecticut School Shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Dec 14, 2012.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Thanks thrak! :beer:

This sort of shit causes everyone to get emotionally charged and tend to dig their heels in to their preconceived biases. I'm no less guilty of it myself, so I can relate to his passion for his position. I hope my delicate psyche can handle it. :D

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Stabbing victims usually survive.

Slashing victims tend to die from exsanguination. Stab wounds close, slashes don't.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

4. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

It appears many of you attended the DougK school of rationalization. The current crop of psycho gunman is increasingly targeting children in large numbers. Pro-gun positions are in dire need of major updates. If dead children don't give you pause, what will?

5. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Kids. My daughter starts kindergarten next year...i can't even think about what the parents are feeling.

Why don't these fucktards just off themselves at home?

I'm starting to think that all the attention the media gives these atrocities encourages the next dipshit to make his "statement".

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And the current crop of obese children logically dictates we outlaw spoons.

I mean, if we're going to follow the same specious logic "for the children"... :rolleyes:

7. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

When I was in High School, it was common to be able to walk out into the parking lot and see several pickups with gun racks - with guns in them. No one thought much of it. Sure, there were fights at school, but no one would ever think of pulling a knife (which many of us had - pocket knives), let alone shooting someone. Worse thing that happened is someone would get a bloody nose or shiner, and everyone would carry on with maybe a bruised ego.

My kids tell me about kids getting expelled from school for having a copy of Guns and Ammo or Field and Stream. Somehow there's a big disconnect here.....

You have people blaming violence in the media - maybe - but we watched lots of Cowboy and Army flicks when we were kids, too. Video games hadn't been invented yet, so I'll give way there - another maybe. Society in decline, loss of morality - possibly, and if so, not something that can easily or quickly be corrected or reversed. Politicians like quick and easy solutions and unfortunately will take advantage of these kinds of things to push through 'common sense' initiatives.

How can someone kill a bunch of kids? I just can't understand it. There can be no justice for this kind of lunacy. And it bodes badly for all of us.

I'm a firm 2nd Amendment proponent, as in trading liberty for 'security' is a false bargain - only Big Brother wins there. The shootings are seriously bad craziness and can't be something we're allowed to accept. I just hope someone can figure out why these things are happening.

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Have you ever stopped to think that if we didnt have 'No Gun Zones', which are clearly marked so everyone knows where no one will have a gun, then when things like this happen the victims have a chance to protect themselves?!

9. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Some reports are showing that the mother was a teacher at the school and is dead and that the body of his father was found dead at their home. Supposed to be someone else in custody in connection. That's just some of the most current news.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You think children and teachers should be packing to go to school?

11. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Children, no, but I wouldn't be opposed to teachers being allowed to carry if they have the proper training.

By the way, the one in custody is the brother of the shooter apparently.

12. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

wow. jumping to conclusion time: he is just as guilty and I am soooo glad he will pay dearly. that mf'er that offed himself robbed the victims' families of that last justice

13. gaitherb

gaitherb Well-Known Member

A couple of people have posted about the 22 kids in China that were stabbed by the deranged man, none of those children died; one child is in serious condition and I believe the teacher is also in serious condition. I'm not comparing atrocities and certainly not negating the impact of a child being stabbed by a crazy person while at school. It's all horrible and senseless.

But I believe it's been posted already, guns are more efficient and effective killing tools than knives...for all the reasons that have already been posted.

Killing sprees in schools is a problem in the US... 30 since Columbine. Yes, other countries have shooters that march into schools and kill children, but it appears the US is certainly outpacing the rest of the world.

I'm just asking the question, can you fashion any gun laws that would help reduce the number of people killed in a killing spree (e.g. size of magazine, number of rounds a person can purchase before requiring a special permit); bad people will do bad things and no one is suggesting that gun laws will stop these types of mass killing in the US.

I'm just curious if there are any laws that could be fashioned to limit/reduce the scale of the death that we see in these mass killing sprees.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I blame extremely realistic FPS games and a complete detachment from reality of most youth. No fear of any repercussions from anything, no respect for authority, no real sense of right and wrong.

15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Sigh, I hate to comment but I'll throw my thoughts out there. Narcotics are illegal, yet cocaine flows into our country like a river. We'll never stop it. Make guns illegal and they become just another commodity that has great value on the black market. This is ignoring the millions and millions of weapons that are already here and can't be traced.

Much like the war on drugs, I fear the war on guns will never end, regardless of what laws are enacted to stop them.

16. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I have 2 points of view of this whole thing.

The first is that I am glad that this effer is still alive because I want to know why he and his doucher brother did this.

The second is that I wish the media would stop sensationalizing stuff like this, stop letting them "get their message out." In my mind the fact that the media does this is why some people go this route.

The problem is that my 2 POV's are very contradictory, and I don't know which is more important to follow.

17. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

No amount of chains on the sheep will reduce the damage of a wolf!

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Unfortunately, you're wrong about that. Many people are suggesting that.

The common element in these shootings, knife attacks or bombs made from fertilizer are the defective psychopaths using them.

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

There are varying reports about a second person being held. I think I'll wait till the evening news.

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I play video games. I own firearms. Lots of people do. They don't shoot up schools.

Again, the problem is the individual.