1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecticut School Shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Dec 14, 2012.

1. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

2. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

No simple solution to a multi faceted problem. It'd be wise to not let the anger boil for either side, it always clouds judgement. Of course, that's next to impossible in cases like this, but we should all try to stay calm.

make sure you hug your family later. you never know.

3. pg_rider

pg_rider Doesn't race anymore...

Would some sort of card reader system at schools help prevent these mass shootings? Everybody -- students, faculty, parents -- has to swipe in to get through the door...

4. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Sucks he got out so quick, he should have been tortured to death.

5. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

They do at our school.

6. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I've been hearing a Sig and a Glock, nothing about .223. But the news is changing rapidly on this apparently and honestly will take several hours for the news media to stop rushing to get something out and get all of the facts somewhat straight.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How do they get back out?

How do you prevent people from "stacking" on an opening door?

Short of manned outposts and double-locked-entries, no, it wouldn't prevent it.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Best comment so far. Little kids were just slaughtered right before Christmas. Can you all at least save the in-fighting for a later time?

And you know what....that stupid little thing that I was pissed at my kid about the other day really doesn't mean shit right now. I'll spend Christmas with him.

9. mx3TT

mx3TT Well-Known Member

Right. I live and went to school 20 minutes from there. The last couple of years before graduating (2003) we have an officer in place in the high school and middle school. There has been too many of these shootings to not take action. Every school needs to have armed and trained officers at every entrance.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

How? A firearm has no intention or motive. People always were, and always will be, the problem.

11. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Guns are definitely part of the discussion but what do you do when theyre gone...ban knives?

http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-n...abs-22-children-at-chinese-elementary-school/

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's why I said "might". You never know. A local lawyer (and friend) was involved in a shooting a few years ago. They were in a card game when a hood walked in and robbed them at gunpoint. One of the guys was carrying and while the gunman had them on the ground, he drew and came up firing. Both he and the gunman were hit but both lived (??? they were face to face ???). My friend was upstairs in his office, grabbed his gun, and ran downstairs. He fired a couple of times as the guy bolted but missed. In this case, had the first guy not been carrying, maybe nobody would have been shot at all, or maybe everyone would have been executed in cold blood. If it's up to me, I'd rather have a more effective defense than hiding and hoping I don't get shot.

13. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Hell ya! What a piece of crap. If you are that f'ed in the head take yourself out. But kids.. I just don't get it. Sad day indeed. I feel for the parents.

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

First reports that I read said ".223 rifle."

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

For the following response I am not talking about you specifically. You might be a trained knife fighter; I have no idea.

I am also not a proponent of gun bans.

But..

No, you can't.

A knife requires you to make physical contact with your victim. Knives, in very general terms, create smaller wounds. Knives can be used to inflict wounds as rapidly on one victim as a gun can, but they cannot be used to inflict wounds as rapidly on many victims as a gun can.

If an attacker walks into an area and his victims scatter, an attacker with a knife can only hurt those he can catch. An attacker with a gun can hurt any he can see.

If noble Mr. Jones is protecting his class of kindergartners, and a psycho with a knife walks in the class, Mr. Jones could potentially fend off the attacker long enough for the children to escape by grappling with him (and probably, yes, in the process dying). If the psycho has a gun, he can end Mr. Jones before the teacher gets within 10' of him.

So... no. I am not remotely proposing gun bans or anything of the like as preventative of things like these. If someone wants to commit atrocities, they're going to commit atrocities. But the atrocities committed by Joe Psycho with a knife are not as likely to be as prolific as the atrocities committed by Joe Psycho with a gun.

Guns were invented for a reason: They are more effective killing machines than knives.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  16. mtcam77

mtcam77 Well-Known Member

Just heard the "expert" being interviewed on CBS describing the .223 vs a handgun in terms of "it's extraordinary accuracy, particularly at close range and the size of the bullet, which is much larger than a handgun". Another was saying that, since he was wearing a military style vest and camo, he would be a much more difficult target for police. F'ing idiots. It's sad that some never miss an opportunity to further an agenda, even so soon after such a tragedy.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Now it gets even weirder.

Just reported that the shooters mom (who they think is the dead body) was a teacher at this school and the classroom that he went in to was her class.

18. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

No need with the personal attacks... his questions have merit weather you want to address them or not.

Same day...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-14/knife-wielding-man-injures-22-children-in-china/4428958

A KNIFE!!!!! Ban them! :eek:

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Not unusual, little reported statistic is that 85% of gunshot victims survive. Ironically, stabbing victims generally die due to significantly more tissue damage usually associated with a stabbing, plus the people are closer/crazier/rage.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How much noise does a gunshot make?

What is the reaction to a gunshot?

If you're hell-bent on killing a lot of people, high cap mags and multiple weapons is the easiest way, but slashing your way silently through groups of people is more effective (both from a tactical standpoint of not raising alarms and the physiological damage from bladed weapons).

And for the record, I'm not trained to kill. :up: