1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Football Playoffs/Bowl Season

Discussion in 'General' started by Spang308, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

The point was (and is), that according to the NCAA the targeting rule applies to the head/neck area. It still wasn't targeting by white IMO....but insofar as Thrak arguing the hit was legal because it was to his neck, that's incorrect.

2. Dragginass

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Regardless who hit who or how high, LSU is owed a collective thank you from all football fans for knocking off UCF and putting a stop to their bullshit national champions claim. That shit was offensive. It was kinda cute as a joke until they hung signs in their stadium. You knock off Bama, or whoever happens to be #1 at the time, then you're national champions. Not going undefeated in a non power 5 conference and winning your also ran chicken shit bowl game.

scottn, Stumpy, R Acree and 1 other person like this.
  4. Spang308

5. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

That's a legal hit.

6. Dragginass

Yet the author of that article disagrees with you. How do you get your neck bloodied if you get hit in the chest. Dude launched at his head.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The hit is perfectly legal, #91 didn't touch the head/neck area of #9 at all. The mark on #9's neck was due to his ill-fitting helmet, nothing else. Actually looks like the strap is the culprit in the larger abrasion, and that's due to how it is routed across the bottom rather than across the side.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  8. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

The author can disagree all the wants. He didn't go for his head. He hit his side chest.

brex likes this.
  9. Spang308

You need to watch that video objectively. The UCF player at no point in no way contacted Burrows head or neck with any part of his body. Furthermore, he never made contact with Burrows with his helmet or led with his helmet.
    It was completely a legal hit. It was brutal and possibly unnecessary based on how the play was playing out, but it was absolutely legal. He hit him in his chest with his shoulder. Layed his ass out, but it was legal.
    White's targeting was a complete joke. You have every right to be pissed they upheld that call.

brex likes this.
  10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

1. Why won't Alabama schedule UCF? Hell, they play The Citadel.

2. UCF beat Auburn (who beat Alabama) in their chicken shit bowl game last year. You remember, Alabame didn't even make it to their conference championship, and STILL got invited to the playoffs. That was as much a crock as UCF hanging a banner.

11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Stuff happens when someone gets rocked. Shoes fly off feet when hit right/hard enough.

20 years ago, there was an interesting video on this subject of hard hits if anyone interested. It centered around Bobby Boucher Jr, a linebacker from South Central Louisiana State University.

SpeedyTide and brex like this.
  12. Dragginass

Lol I did, so did millions of others. Disagree if you want, but it absolutely was targeting by rule. Some of you are missing the fact it doesn't have to be "lead with helmet" or even a hit to helmet. A hit from the shoulder to head or neck area is targeting, so if you're going to argue it wasn't targeting, at least understand the rule.

I'm glad it happened, because all it did was light a fire in Burrow.

On to 2019.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Final word to the officials. Everything else is bishing.

14. Dragginass

They get the final word, but it doesn't make them right. Even ignoring the Burrow hit, the enforcement of the targeting rule has been absolutely atrocious all year, across the board.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yeah, WE understand the rule. The hit was not on the head/neck area. You need to understand the rule and see where the hit happened. It doesn't fit any part of the targeting rule at all.
    Millions of us got the call right, as did the officials.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I didnt say he got hit in the neck, I said his little boo-boo was on his neck when you incorrectly stated it was on his face.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Y'all are way too heavily invested in this.

stk0308 likes this.
  18. Spang308

Ask Saban. Bama's out of conference schedule is a complete joke. They never play a tough out of conference road game. If and when they play a legit opponent, it's usually at a neutral site. Not sure on Bama, but I know Clemson is required by the state to schedule one of those cupcake games with an in state school. That's why they have Citadel, etc. on their schedule.
    On your second point, Alabama was a one loss SEC team that played a power 5 conference schedule in arguably the toughest division in football. Once in the playoffs, they beat down Clemson and went on to defeat GA in the title game. If you honestly think they didn't belong, I'm wasting keystrokes here. They clearly were the best team last year, even though they dropped a game to Auburn. They weren't a 2 loss team nor did they get blown out by a mid pack Iowa or Purdue like Ohio State did.
    They deserved it and they went and took it.
    UCF plays far weaker opponents and then got up for a day against an Auburn team that probably didn't even want to be there. As much as I love the playoff scenario, it has cheapened the rest of the bowl games. That and the amount of bowl games. Any team that's 6-6 is bowl eligible. I enjoy the games, because I'm a fan and it's cool to watch college football on a Wednesday night in December, but make no mistake, the blue chip programs are eyeing one of the four playoff spots and once a (legitimate, not make believe) national championship is off the table, the situation heads south for them. When in years past have you seen so many kids electing to sit out of their bowl games. I get it. You possibly could flush millons down the drain by sufferimg an injury like happened to Milton. At the same time, you're part of a team. Not all your teammates are destined for the NFL. Step on the field with your brothers and help them win what may be the last football game of their lives.
    Whew...long rant. Short version: Saban/Bama schedule what they can get away with and still be considered legit from an out of conference standpoint.
    They deserved everything the got last year.
    UCF was not and never will be national champions with the schedule they play and the conference they are in. For the record, the teams they played in the regular season got smoked in their bowl games. Teams that played them close also.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Check Alabama's opening opponent for next year.

20. Spang308

Haha...see?
    Vs. Duke in Atlanta. And Duke isn't exactly a powerhouse program. Last year was FSU in Atlanta.
    That said, they play a string of cupcakes, but their schedule is backloaded with some of the toughest teams in the country down the stretch. They play A&M in October and then in November play LSU, Miss St, cupcake, and finish with Auburn. What begins beating up children and taking their lunch money ends with a stretch that not many would want to play, let alone go undefeated against.