1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil Asset Forfeiture

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by charles, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

His job is to enforce the laws. The federal laws are very clear, the issue is with the lawmakers not him.

sheepofblue likes this.
  2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If the Govt can use the money I paid in taxes to prosecute me then absolutely.

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

That is an idea that I can get behind. As far as I'm concerned, if someone wants to keep a million bucks in cash in the glove compartment of their car then, considering the fact that they have possession of it, it's theirs. Why does the frigging Government feel that if someone is found to have large amounts of cash in their pocket then it must be assumed to be ill gotten gains? The original intent of this law had merit however, as soon as it was passed into law local LE started licking their lips in anticipation of "extra cash to spend."

kangasj likes this.
  4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Lots of stories out there of people driving somewhere to buy a used vehicle with cash and getting it stolen by the cops.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This. I was just considering this the other day in regards to my convertible thread in general. One of the better deals was a private party in Illinois. What if I get pulled over on the way to buy the car and have $20-30k in my pocket? They'd take it and I'd never see it again.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And that's the fallout from the WOD.
    Stepping on the Constitutional rights of innocent people.
    Remember when you used to hear "better a hundred guilty men go free than one innocent man be convicted"?
    It seems just the opposite these days.
    Seems anything can be justified if it's the WOD.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

WOD? Workout of the Day?

Lawn Dart likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

War on drugs.

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Unfortunately unintended consequences like this seem like they always pop up whenever the government gets involved. IMO, unless they have proof that the money is from something illegal they need to keep their dickskinners off of it.

kangasj likes this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Unless they can convince a Judge to issue a warrant for the money, then absolutely they should be able to use it to defend themselves. You suspect that the $ came from selling drugs, but without proof the gov should not be able to legally seize it.

Have we forgotten 'innocent until proven guilty' in this country? Its hard to believe so many here are willing to allow the gov the unimpeded ability to steal personal property with little to no recourse for the public.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I understand that, and from a purely academic pov it makes perfect sense. But in the real world, we all know that with enough money, you're essentially above the law, so the idea that a criminal can use the profits from his criminal enterprise to avoid prosecution seems wrong.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I agree

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm just going to pretend you didn't change my words and relish in the rare occasion that you agree with me :)

pickled egg likes this.
  14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

If it's so obvious that the money was illegally obtained than any defense will be for naught.

That doesn't change the fact that the gov is stealing from private citizens without due process.

And to be clear I'd much rather that money go to an attorney than to the government.

kangasj likes this.
  15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Or we could just legalize everything and remove the profit motive from drugs. The addiction rates would scarcely twitch in the short term, those who have the propensity to overdo it will die off, and drug abuse will end up dropping in the long term.

OH, wait... my bad, there's no money in that solution.

kangasj likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Legalizing it wouldn't remove the profit motive, it'd just change who is raking in the cash :D

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's not really the issue. What he's done is gone beyond mere enforcement and removed the prosecutor's discretion in seeking/recommending sentences for a crime he personally feels is bad. It's a broad stroke order that would unfairly affect countless people. The only saving grace is that the AG has no authority over the courts, meaning judges can still use their discretion in handing out the actual sentence.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Curiosity thought - what true weight do his orders carry? Either way, the laws are on the books, he's saying enforce them. If you don't like that then get the laws off the books.

sheepofblue likes this.
  19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Nope they prefer the old way where the king picked and choose which laws were good enough.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really