1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil Asset Forfeiture

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by charles, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

kangasj likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's nothing really new or surprising. Same old shit, the cops can take your cash and you have to pay to prove it was yours.

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

And in most cases it is still Wrong..
    I can see taking it when they arrest the people, putting it in a plastic bag and when the people are found guilty of a crime related to drug dealing then taking the cash.. but the tales in this story, it is just State Robbery.

Imagine this, Hooker works her ass off all week.. makes $10k, has a tag light out and Cop pulls her over, takes her cash.. Right or Wrong?

Banditracer likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree. Should be simple, go ahead and seize it, then if no charges filed in say 14 or 30 days return it with a set amount of interest (which is taken from the other seized money they wind up keeping). That'll keep them from stealing peoples money and the interest losses will make them be sure they're going to bring charges before taking someones cash. Also if no arrest right then and there then no way in hell can they take anyones money.

5. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Really? These seizure laws weren't always in effect. There was a time when they had to prove you were guilty of something before they started stealing your assets. It started during the war on drugs...

sheepofblue likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You know how long ago that started old man? :D

kangasj likes this.
  7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

:moon:...Old man.....Well....I was a young man back then....:crackup:. I think it got really bad during Reagan....oh shit, back futher than that. I saw an article where they were doing it during prohibition...but they ramped it up in the early 80's...

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I won't take cash to buy a used motorcycle or car because of this crap. I don't carry any more cash than I can afford to lose.

Assuming the chart is correct, the mix of states with the most and least protections is interesting in that it doesn't seem to be slanted to any political party. There are left and right wing states at both ends of the state chart. I am sad to see my state of Virginia only at a 3, but at least that is better than a 1 or 2.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_forfeiture_in_the_United_States

9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Greed has no party affiliation. Neither does graft.

All politicians are thieves, liars and scum. All.

gixxerreese, Britt and 418 like this.
  10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Do you believe everything journo's write/say? Serious question.

Man, you certainly do a good job hiding your Liberal bone.

I actually lost interest after reading Brandy's $4600 was seized.....why? Because it's BS!!!

But the journo's did their job, they captivated a few of you with their BS.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yeah...those civilians just don't get it again right Krupke? It was just about as easy and winding you up.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

No not by a long shot but I've been reading the same stuff over and over for 10 years from many different sources so I tend to think there's something to it.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Actually, The whole thing is fking BS...but, you ain't gonna stop it...they won't stop on their own either.
    If I had to pick and choose..I'd rather they take DopeDealers $$ and Not My Hard Earned $$, or TheHookers, or Strippers who had a Great Weekend ..see a difference?

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm kinda partial to the "how about they don't take anybody's fucking money" camp.

crashman, Sweatypants and sheepofblue like this.
  15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Not gonna happen...they already got use to it...FreeShit.

They have a Cop Beeb, it is just like this only they brag about how much shit they take and how they do it..I kid you not.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But your acceptance of it as "the way it is" is why they're still allowed to do it. I know it sounds cliche, but those fucking thieves do still work for us, and if enough of us refuse to allow them to do bullshit like this, they'll have to stop.

Banditracer and sheepofblue like this.
  17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Tell that to DHS...and get back to us.

18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm sure the NSA has already forwarded my concern to them. There will probably be a black fan parked down the block from my house when I get home tonight.

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member