1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child on motocycle.

Discussion in 'General' started by bodell, Jun 20, 2012.

1. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

You need to get your head checked. Your 3 yr old on the back of a motorcycle? You know you're a redneck if...

2. All seems safe to me. Modify this carrier and everyone will be happy.
    [​IMG]

Oh. when I said all seems safe. I meant you probably don't realize it's a horrible idea. But, Go ahead. I'm cool with natural selection and all that jazz.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I can think of one local case where grandpa took his grand-daughter for a short ride and ran into a drunk driver. Luckily, the worst injuries were his, but they've both endured multiple surgeries for a couple years trying to repair the damage. It wasn't his fault, but I'm sure he wishes he'd never put her on that bike. We all know racers who won't ride on the street, and its not because they're pussies. I just feel that adults can make that decision for themselves, but I'm ambivalent about making it for a kid. And I cringe every time I see a teenage boy with his girlfriend on the back of his sportbike.

4. emusic2010

emusic2010 Sales - Podcast - Racing - Track Marshal - Coach

I know if I was his age I would love it. He will be telling stories about you to his friends for years. As far as people saying how unsafe it is, we all ride motorcycles.. Obviously there are dangers, and we can't live in a bubble forever. I've always been one to be in favor of more training and less preaching about gear. That's not to say I don't wear gear. I strictly ride the track now so it's a must. Just saying that you know your abilities and limits. I love it.

5. F. Richard Head

F. Richard Head Davie's "Daddy"

Very scary prospect, but I see the draw.

First, I question your compliance with the law. His feet fall far short of the footpegs unless the law allows for footpegs as part of an add-on seat.

Second, he seems pretty far back. I'd want him essentially sandwiched between my back and the seat.. not to the point that he can't breathe, but he's going to have to make an effort to get free.

I don't ride the streets anymore due to safety concerns in the Phoenix area, but that's different than your situation. With a level of diligence of an intensity that God has never seen... I might do it... :)

6. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I thank you all for your opinions, except for the natural selection jag-off. Now that everything useful has been said, and in the spirit of the beeb, Let’s take this thing full retard.

I think that Americans get softer every day. Most kids are pussies compared to the kids I knew as a kid. (Some of which have chimed in on this thread)
    This is mainly because parents are over protective pussies themselves.

The first symptom is imagining the absolute worst case scenario and convincing yourself that it is likely to happen, instead of realistically considering its likelihood. (for you statistics lovers)

The second symptom is your son wearing eyeliner and spending 18 hours a day in front of the TV/computer/cell phone instead of breaking his arm on a dirt bike.

Were you right to make him a pussy? Well, he didn’t break his arm, but I bet he makes his son a pussy too.

For those of you that don’t have a pussy at home already, here is a photo...
    [​IMG]

If you already have a pussy at home, I attribute that to reverse Darwinism, (Survival of the weakest) and it is your fault.

I will be picking my son up from preschool Monday on the Concurs. He will love it, and it will be one more life experience that will help make him awesome, like the kids that I see racing WERA minis.

7. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Haha awesome

8. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Way to sum it up Bodell, that is the fucking troof.

I wore a bicycle helmet for the first time the other day (on a bike tour on vacation) and felt like the biggest pussy ever. Imagine what it will be like in another 30 years...... Kids wrapped in foam rubber when they leave for school and everyone graduates regardless of grades so they don't get their feelings hurt.

10. bodell

11. bodell

To those who say no kid on a bike...

Are your feelings any different about a child in a motorcycle sidecar?
    How about a smart car or convertible mini cooper?

What is the minimum size/weight/number of wheels of a vehicle before the "acceptable outcome" of a worst case scenario crash is achieved?

12. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I scrape drooling retarded bicyclists of the road voluntarily. That bicycle helmet will save your life if you whack your melon at 15mph. Don't feel stupid for strapping it on.

13. No.
    No.

The bigger the better. Error on the side of safety when it comes to your kids. Obviously you don't think this way. It's cool I won't convince you. Just like the fools who think it's within the law to ride their bike on the street so it's "safe."

There's no way for me to be kind about the idea. I'll bail out before I go full asshole/douchebag.

Good luck with that.

... my conscience is clear. I'm out.

14. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

:crackhead:

Were you picked on growing up or something?

15. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

:crackup: :up:

16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Enjoy your ride on Monday bodell.

When people start to realize that the only thing guaranteed to happen, is everyone is going to die, somehow, some way, when it is their time regardless; the better off this country will be.

But hey, I'm not going to make this Dungeon material...

Have fun though, some of my best memories are from going riding with my parents wehn I was a youngster. Oh, I was in two crashes with them too...I'm still here. Alive and well enough that I just might take Draik to ride vain of all racers' existance "The Tail of the Dragon" with me this weekend...but that is a whole other thread...

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:up::bow:
    F**k all of the safety nazis!:D
    I was staying out of this thread because of the potential for full retard but well said. Its a big scary world out there and there is risk in everything. You hear of kids dying in car crashes, bicycling accidents, bathtubs and almost every other place you can imagine. Are the risks higher on the back of a bike in a seat like that? Hell, I dont know but if you enjoy having the little guy with you and he enjoys riding then you are doing the right thing.
    Parents are doing their kids more harm than good by wrapping them in bubble wrap and insulating them from lifes bumps and bruises. Todays kids are for the most part a bunch of pussies and the whiney safety parents are the reason. Walking around being scared of what might happen isnt living

18. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

EXACTLY!

19. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

I am in no way going to give my opinion on what to do with YOUR kid...My six year old daughter (now eight) has raced a few hare scrambles, plays soccer, swims, tennis, etc.

But I am pretty surprised that nobody commented on my earlier post. I am willing to bet that most of the negative comment people have no issues with children racing road bikes. I personally (again I do NOT judge others IF they allow it) would not let my kids road race until they can make the decision themselves at a legal age. I feel the risks are too high for life altering injuries or death for ME to make.

Some critiqued the OP for doing this for HIS ego. You mean there are not parents out there that want their kids to race for their satisfaction? I think so. Plenty I bet.

What makes it OK for a 12 year old (or younger) to make a decision to go 130 mph and possibly hit a wall, get run over, etc? They don't have a clue what fear is. I guess many think the 12 year old has "lived a full life", "died doing what they loved best", etc. Really?? I have read many of these comments on this board (since we have lost a few young racers lately). Not much different than the 3 year old to me. Neither have lived or made ANY real LIFE decisions. They are just doing something "fun". It's a hobby. How many of them will earn a living doing it. Not many. Also, the PARENTS have to sign a waiver for this activity. The kids CANNOT make this decision.

Again to be clear...These are MY opinions...I do NOT judge the OP nor anyone else for making these decisions for their kids. I make the same calculated decisions but on a different scale I think.

Anyway...To the OP...Good luck and be safe...I bet he will enjoy every minute!!!

20. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

For me Bodell pretty much has it right. It's up to you how you raise your kids. I also think a lot of kids today are a bunch of poof's! Being that I'm getting to be an old fart myself (48) I grew up when it was ok to hurt, maim, injury and disfigure yourself as a kid at will! It fact it was rare to not have some kind of scabbed up limb to pick at?

Ok, picking up the kid from school! I can remember the first time I went to pick up my boy from his private church based school. I drive into the school playground that also doubles as a carpark at one end. You should have seen the faces of the teachers screamimg at my kid to stay away from me? Like I was some evil pedophile trying to snatch a kid up on my motorcycle. Yea motorcyclist we are the devils spawn.

Both my kids love anything with wheels on it. Yep they have gotten hurt, got the scars to prove it. You can't protect them from everything, or wrap them up in cotton wall. Plus even my 8 year boy told me broken collarbones don't hurt that much? Hell, he only cried for about 5 minutes before he sucked it up. Computer games are the main dangers for kids these days. Not getting out and about in the real world riding on the back of a motorcycle.

Have fun with your kid, of course try to keep it safe. To your kid your Indiana Jones giving everyone the bird. Enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012