1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child on motocycle.

Discussion in 'General' started by bodell, Jun 20, 2012.

1. bamamike

bamamike Active Member

Nice set up, but it would make me nervous. My son is 4 and i have been riding him for two years. I bought a XR 650 L. He has full dirtbike gear and hes up front betwen my arms. I am ok with this. Your setup is nice but i couldnt do it that way. My .02

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I started riding when I got out of diapers. I never had a seat like this but eventually I moved to the back of a Goldwing with a similar setup. When I started I sat between the tank and my Dad. I really missed that view when I got moved to the back. I'd echo what Dawn said as I fell asleep alot! My dad would always tap my leg when it was time to wake up.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

fact: most accidents happen only a few miles from home at speeds between 30-40mph.

opinion: i stopped carrying passengers of any age when i realized i couldn't guarantee their safety. i'm not living with a maimed or dead person on my conscience if the situation can be avoided.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Looks good to me and the plan sounds fine, I say go for it. I take Olivia for rides and just avoid the urban jungle (don't have a fancy seat like that and Conrad can't reach the pegs yet, and besides, he has his own bike :D)

5. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

you sure your kid is ok with being seen on a Concours?

6. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

Because that is the area most traveled, not because it is the most hazardous. I am considering safety, not frequency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics

I take it you drive your car alone too?

My child's life is paramount to me; not only the protection of it, but also its enrichment. I am weighing the value of each in this decision.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

not saying you're doing a bad thing by your child, but i question whether it's your ego you're trying to enrich?

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That fact won't make any difference after a crash, will it?
    In the end, its strictly your decision, but you should consider if you're going to be okay with the results if it goes wrong.

9. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

:crackup:

10. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

There is always this option:

[​IMG]

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

What a dumb ass, dragging his kid in a crate like that. :tut:

The strap should be lowered on the crate to help aid in clearing obstacles.

12. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

Glad I survived this then. I'd still say anytime before about 5 is too young.

[​IMG]

13. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I did that on nearly an identical bike. 1973 Yamaha CT175. I did get off the right side one time when he dropped me off and burned my leg on the expansion chamber pretty bad. It grew back.

14. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Brad, go for it. My dad put me on the FRONT of his RM250 from age 2 to ride riverbeds and the orchards above our house, and when I got a little older (4) I rode on the back of his honda hawk up and down decker canyon in CA. I survived, I loved it, and it planted the seed in me for a lifetime (well up 'til this point, at least) of 2-wheeled fun. Of course it wasn't as safe as sitting in a car seat in the middle 2nd row of a fucking Suburban but life is all about experiences, and calculated risks are part of it. Keep the wheelies to a minimum, ride during high light and low traffic times and trust your daddy instincts.

15. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

By the way - I'd appreciate it if you didn't make fun of me in front of my internet friends.

16. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I used to ride all over with my dad as a kid.

Now that I have kids, I wouldn't put them on the back of my bike for all the money in the world. Two years ago, an incident happend to a very good frined of mine and his son on a motorcycle that hammered that point home with absolute certainty. No way on God's green earth would I ride with my kids on the back now.

However, I love riding with my kids, so they have bikes of their own, and we ride together off road. Much more fun, much less stress.

17. unfast1

unfast1 Well-Known Member

My daughter wants to ride with me everyday. Just go around the block. I trust me. I trust her. I don't trust the unknown drunk coming down the road.

Not worth it IMO.

18. 178SV

178SV now retired...

19. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I have heard different versions of this question being batted around various Internet forums for years. It is a highly-charged and emotional issue, with valid and passionate points being made both pro and con.

It occurs to me that I have never heard a story of a kid being injured or killed while on a short ride with Mom or Dad. I'm sure it has happened, statistically, but I have never heard of anybody "in my circle" including forum members, customers, friends, etc., having it happen.

Anybody have any first-hand experience with this?

If so, what was the impact on the family and/or the parent who made the "let's do this" decision?

It's a tough call. I have never been more relieved than the day when both of my kids decided, on their own, to stop riding. I felt like I had dodged a bullet. I suspect they might like it if I ever made the same decision, but they seem to understand that motorcycling is such an integral part of who I am that I would die inside, just from stopping.

I'd be a lot more afraid to let a teenage daughter get on the back of a street bike with a young, testosterone-addled boy. Something about the scent of newly-minted estrogen makes young guys insane.

Brad, thanks for bring this topic back here. I am always interested to hear the input from other guys on the subject.

20. Phillip Gross

Phillip Gross Member

I used to take my oldest son on slow rides on back country roads when he was a baby. Of course I was in my early 20s and rode my Harley almost daily back then. I'd put a belt around his waist and through the front of my belt. It was a great way to get him to sleep. Then I'd rumble up to the front door and my wife would come out and take him to his crib. So I started mine before he could walk. He's 9 now and did pretty well last season in SEMRA. I don't know if there's any correlation, but who knows....