1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child on motocycle.

Discussion in 'General' started by bodell, Jun 20, 2012.

1. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

Several years ago, while traveling abroad, I purchased a GIVI motorcycle child seat. I had no children at the time, but felt that it was a rare opportunity and snatched it up.

My son is nearly 3 now so I decided to fit the seat to my Concours for a test run thru the neighborhood. Needless to say, he loved it. The seat is very well made and attaches in a way that gives me 100% confidence in its safety.

I did some research and in NC there is no age requirement for a child passenger. The only requirement is that the child's feet must reach the footrests, which they do.

I plan on taking him for some leisurely back road rides and bike nights once his street gear arrives. (He only has moto gear currently)

I know that my parents will have a heart attack when they see the attached photos or hear my plans. I am just curious to see how well they go over here.

Attached Files:

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  3. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Looks safe enough to do wheelies with him on the back!

Seriously, it looks way cool. Only you (& the government!) know what is safe for your kids?

4. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

(& the government!)

:crackup:

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You must really trust all those dipshit drivers out there. Good luck with that.

7. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

You asked, so I'll tell you honestly, I think he's too young still. Around the neighborhood would be fun and cool, but I wouldn't take any child that small anywhere where we could get hit at speed, or have a tire blow, or hit a bumper cover in the road or something. Such a simple accident could have major life altering effects on a kid that young. I bet he facking loves it though! That's just me.

8. 418

418 Expert #59

I dig the seat but I wouldn't feel comfortable unless there was a harness on that thing.

That's a pretty cool setup, if it's done right.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Cool set up. I wouldn't worry about it anyways, you can always have another one. :beer:

10. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

:stupid:

Our daughter at 5 would fall asleep on the back of dad's Goldwing :eek:

So as soon as she got quiet, he got her talking again.

Dawn

11. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Looks good man!

12. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

Very cool...

But I do have one thought...What age is too young? Is it OK for a 10 year old to decide to road race and potentially die in a track accident? Are they any more able to make a life altering decision than a 3 year old? Either way, they are not considered adults until 18...So the parent is making the decision for them.

Just curious...I LOVE the sport, but always wondered if I could ever let my kid get out there with ME making the decision for him / her. They really have no clue IMO. I know I didn't...I was absolutely fearless and thought nothing would ever happen to me...It took me until I was about 35 to realize it COULD happen to me...But I was an adult who made my own decisions.

Just something I have always thought about (especially when seeing / reading about some of the YOUNG racers out there who have passed on the track or that have life altering injuries) but this made me think...What's too young?

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My first thought is, don't do it. He may love it, you may love it, but you have to factor in the idiot who makes a left turn right in front of you. Regardless of whose at fault, you have to deal with the aftermath. After seeing thousands of track crashes, I don't think its advantageous to be tied to the bike, and the street has so many more dangers than the track. My personal bias says, wait until he can ride his own bike in controlled circumstances and put him in the best protective gear possible. The street is unforgiving.

14. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

As a Dad, and a grandfather, and having taken my son and grand kids on my bike. I would suggest that a 3 yr old is to young to take anywhere other than around the neighbor hood. I didn't take my Son out on the local city streets until he was 10, and that was with strict instructions about what to do.

I never took him on any roads that had a speed limit of more than 45mph, and I rode with extreme caution. I would wait until he gets older, regardless of how safe that seat maybe.

15. bodell

I appreciate all of the responses so far.

Let me add that I live on the absolute outskirts of town and am considering 3 places to take the boy.

I think it would be cool to pick him up from preschool once a week. It would be fun to take him to bike night at Easy Eddies, and he could ride with me to the BW Fuel Warehouse.

All of these rides would be under 15 miles, on single lane, 45 mph country roads.

As for gear, I have ordered him a HJC full face helmet, and this jacket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/XS-XL-ALLST...411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b33e7c53 He also has boots and jeans.

I don’t know if this changes anyone's opinion, but I wanted to be clear that I am not looking for daily shirtless wheelies thru rush hour traffic.

16. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

I like the seat. I wish I would have had something for my kids when they were small. Brad, I think we all can do without seeing you doing shirtless wheelies!!:Puke:

I could have sold you the same jacket in great shape.

17. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

Wow, your son looks exactly like mine except my son has blue eyes!

BTW - Nice Giant, is that an X1 29er?

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree.... However to each his own... Nice Bike and a great Pic...

19. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

I would recommend checking out Held for kids jackets.

20. bodell

X3 Upgraded to all slx