1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy Colorado - opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Feb 16, 2018.

1. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

http://www.fuelly.com/

Thats a good website to search for certain vehicles and see what people are reporting as their true mileage.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

What years your f150? Will it last another year? The ranger comes back in 2018. Also the new 2.7 ecoboost is a real nice engine in the f150s.

Was looking real hard at getting one.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to replace the '99 F-250 next year. I'm torn between the endless options. I rented an Eco Boost F-150 for NJMP and it was cool, but we weren't towing. The spectrum is from Mid-size pickup to full retard (Cayenne S).

Really I only need light towing duty, my #2500 6x12 is about it. But I do like the utility of the truck.

I also like the fact that I live in an area where fancy cars (and even fancier trucks) are the norm. I enjoy the statement that the '99 F-250 makes.

4. James_56

James_56 Well-Known Member

I'm north of the boarder in Canuckistan :) so with the god awful cold we've had this winter it's been low and toss in the snow tires I've got on it sapping even more I really can't complain. Its been pretty consistent at 12 litres/100km (20mpg) combined. In the summer it was better. I only have 20k kilometers (12k miles) on it so really just broken in. I'll be curious to see what I get this summer.

5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Tacomas are awesome, but they are way over priced and get realy bad gas mileage. Colorados are ok but a 1500 is barely any more money and you get a truck V6 in those.

6. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

We had a 2005-ish Colorado as a work truck for the machine shop. Extended cab, basic interior, 3.5L 5-cyl, RWD. Absolutely loved that thing. Easily handled 1k lbs in the bed, and every so often took it up to a bit over 2k lbs when we had to pick up material. Never had any issues with it over 186k hard miles until it was rear-ended and bent the frame. The engine was the party piece. With our other truck, 2003 Chevy 1500, you would definitely feel when you had a load in the back. The engine, despite being bigger, needed a bit more pedal to get it going. The Colorado was just torquey no matter how much you had back there. Fuel-wise, we were averaging around 25mpg, which was fantastic considering what it had to do day in and out.

I've heard that one of the cylinders needs head work to fix an issue with a soft valve seat. We had to get it done to the replacement Colorado, but wasn't that expensive to get done. Only thing is that the replacement has the Z71 suspension, and I hate it. Compared to the RWD one, it rides and handles terrible from what I was used to. I hate the ride on 4WD trucks anyways. Too tall and stiff. That RWD 1500 rode like a Cadillac. The 4WD replacement for that is bouncy and not nearly as pleasant.

But alas, the idea of the work truck is dead, and most people want 4WD so they can make it up their damp driveway without worrying.

Boman Forklift and Lawn Dart like this.
  7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:crackup:

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

o_O

Where you getting those numbers? just curious.

I was actually very interested in their diesel option but saw their actual mileage as advertised on their site wasn't any better than the Ram Ecodiesel I wound up buying, I just took a peek and Chevy is still advertising 20C/28H, still impressive if you ask me but a smaller truck.

To the O/P, I'd ask what do you actually use your p/u for??? Depending on that answer would dictate if it's worth having a full size p/u or not. I used to have a Dakota and hated not having the ability to lay sheetrock or plywood flat down, if that doesn't matter and you don't care having a smaller cab and marginally better mpg then go for it. The price difference between my EcoD and the diesel Colorado similarly equipped was maybe $2-3k.....maybe.

9. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I have a 2014 F-150 SuperCrew, 4wd, 5.0 v-8. I have averaged 15MPG for 85K, driving mostly on mountainous highway roads (I live and work in WV). I get upwards of 20MPG when I get to the flatlands of Ohio or the south. Far, far less if towing or in 4wd

10. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

From my truck. I regularly see those numbers. I've seen people report a pretty big range on the colorado forum, some are lower, some are in line. My commute is 26 miles, probably 20 highway. I don't know if I just got lucky but I'll take it.

XFBO likes this.
  11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Dang, that's awesome dude! How big is your trailer and estimated weight?

I LOVE my Ram, I'd say combined I average 20MPG, on trips I'll get closer to 26-27MPG travelling between 70-75MPH.....BUT when I hook up my 7x16 trailer, and it doesn't matter if loaded or empty, I'm lucky to get 12-13MPG. :eek:

12. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

6x10, steel frame. I think the title says it weighs 1000. So with a bike, scooter and gear, 2000? Economy drops like a brick above 70, so I try to keep it there.

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I know internet tough guys don't like them, but the new Ridgeline is awesome. For light truck duty, it would definitely be my choice.

BigBird and Jon Wilkens like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing about being tough, it's just useless as a truck. May as well get a real SUV and have more covered room in the back or get a real truck and put a tonneau on it. The in between is for nothing more than looks - and it (along with the Avalanche) just don't look that good :D

15. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

New ridgelines are great besides having a odessey front end.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Odyssey would be more useful :D

17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Thats why I got rid of my Ram... my 4Runner with a v6 tows just as well and I get 18-20mpg w/ a 6x12 behind it, instead of struggling to get 12mpg.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Coming from a Highlander Hybrid, I'm quite interested in the Ridgeline. More towing capacity than I have, more cargo area than I've got, especially if you put a cap on it. A bed that I can put trash / dirt / etc in without grabbing my trailer, it'd make a nice upgrade. Rides and drives nicer than any compact or full size truck I've been in. About the only thing I didn't like on the one I test-drove was the 6 speed gearbox, I've gotten spoiled by my hybrid driving like a CVT, you can tell the Honda has a traditional auto. (On the flip side, Ford's 10 speed in the F150 is a damn good CVT impersonator.)

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

17 Taco, no regrets

20. I have the new Canyon w/ V6. I was looking at a full size but when I drove this I was sold. Big enough to haul everything I need but feels small and nimble when driving. Interior is much nicer than the Tacoma IMO.

1315927278420330.jpg

TLR67, Lawn Dart and Razr like this.