1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy Colorado - opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Feb 16, 2018.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Get a full size truck. Be a man, doing man things... 15188207942911.jpg
    :D

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Those are really nice looking trucks.

3. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

I wish they still offered the Colorado with the 5.3 V8. That was a fun little truck.

4. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I have a 2016 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road 2 x 4 with 57,000 miles

I haven't had any issues and get between 20-22 MPG

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  5. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Two things will survive the apocalypse...cockroaches and Tacomas...get the Taco. :D

OldSchlPunk and BigBird like this.
  6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about getting a new Colorado or a used one from back when they were actually a mid sized truck?

7. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Lots of Tacoma's here! I have a '17 double cab TRD Off-Road, 6 speed manual. I really dig it.

I looked at the Colorado, but I'm a manual transmission snob. That's what led me to the Tacoma, and I'm happy with it.

Img_2045sized.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    BigBird and trussdude like this.
  8. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

We have an AWD Ridgeline...it tows our 6x12 race trailer better than my full sized 5.3l silverado AND with better mileage doing it. Comfy, very useful and does just about everything our full sized truck does. IF you plan on any towing, make sure you get the AWD as it increases the towing capacity to 5k. How you use it will dictate if it will work for you or not. But don't discount a Ridgeline, very handy truck.

BigBird likes this.
  9. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

what on earth kind of intake problem do you have that's not worth ($ wise) fixing?! Are we talking something fell into the intake ports and broke every valve head off and jammed into pistons and cylinder walls?!

On the new truck side - Chevy makes a pretty basic silverado that's tough to beat in my eyes. The LTZ version with the 6.2 is great. If you're more concerned with comfort/quiet the RAM is the way to go at the moment I think.

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Man, these new 3.5L taco's seem to finally be getting decent gas mileage based on this thread.

11. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Long story, but I've already had one estimate over $6K. Ford sucks for direct injection problems. One dealer service manager actually said to me, "That's just how the truck drives now".

I've driven the Silverado, and nothing against anyone I may know who has/had one, I hated the interior. It was a fine truck otherwise.

12. nlzmo400r

Jesus, that's expensive unless it's completely new heads or something. Sorry to hear it. Good luck with the new truck whatever you decide on.

13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

once you start pricing them, you realize the Colorado/Canyon platform is close to the cost of the 1500 series trucks. just go half ton for the interior size alone. sooner or later, you will wish you had more room or a bigger bed to haul something with.

my .02. Ski

14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I think that's actually Ford's fix. Through this process, I learned that Ford actually has no process for cleaning up this problem. They don't support walnut blasting the intake, they don't support other types of forced induction cleaning because it ruins the turbos, so their process is to piss off customers by having a ridiculous replacement solution, or coerce them into trading it in on a new truck. The '18 Ecoboost has more power, better mpg, and hybrid port/direct injection.

I'm taking one last shot on Thursday with a place here that might do some cleaning cheaper, but I don't have my hopes up.

15. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

Can you find a DIY guide online? I've had to walnut blast the intake manifold on my mazdaspeed3 twice now. It's a pain to tear down but it really works.

BigBird likes this.
  16. nlzmo400r

Ohhhh, so the issue is carbon build up on the intake valves? And the official ford 'fix' is to replace the cylinder heads (or at least the valves)? Yowza. Honestly if you're debating about trading it in vs a $6k repair - just do a ton of induction based cleaning to see if it works. Even if it fucks the turbine wheels (which is HUGELY unlikely) you're just gonna trade it in anyway :)

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Serves you right for buying a Ferd Ranchero, Genius! :D

18. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I'm trying to get into a Canyon Denali. Not sure I can stomach the price tag even at the unicorn price I found on this particular 2017 model... but I think Broome would approve.

Which is really all I want. Broome-approval.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

You're the first person that I've ever heard from that wanted a CVT over a gearbox.

Chris and Rising like this.
  20. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Methanol/water injection kit. Lower IATs, lowered EGTS, cheap to buy (I use windshield washer fluid) and it works on cleaning out direct injection buildup.