1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, May 12, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Just watched the series premiere on HBO. Was looking forward to it and this series looks like its gonna be a good one. The first episode is already getting great reviews.

https://www.hbo.com/chernobyl

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Haven't had HBO for several months now since they got into a pissing match with Dish and Dish doesn't carry it anymore.

t11ravis and MELK-MAN like this.
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Oh Boy..can't wait......I know quite a bit about the Chernobyl accident. Also SL1 and TMI. Lots of good practical lessons to be learned, like any accident if taken seriously. Another China Syndrome is not the way to do it. I wonder which way they'll go?

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I watched it. Excellent and horrifying at the same time, mainly because it's real. Made me go back and research the incident. Typical bureaucracy made something bad worse.

5. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Their willingness to treat the reality before them with the response equivalent to "FAKE NEWS!" was frightening.

Ducti89, rd400racer and Sabre699 like this.
  6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

There is an 10 part documentary on youtube about it. Fantastic. I love everything about Chernobyl. I will visit someday. I've been wanting to get hbo just to watch the series.

7. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I cant take the show seriously with everyone having british accents.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

:crackup: I had that exact thought while watching. And then I turned over to Hunt For Red October yesterday and all the "Russians" in that had English accents!

9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I really like it so far. Had been getting pumped waiting for the premiere with all of the promos. I was not disappointed.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've always been rather interested in the incident but there's so much information out there to sift through I wasn't sure what was historically accurate. Still not sure how much of this series is going to be. But either way, the first episode was great......I think that description above fits it well, "excellent and horrifying".

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

There have been I believe a couple of documentaries on Chernobyl. Is this another one or a “drama”?

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Jeremy Wade of River Monsters has done a documentary on the fish of Chernobyl’s cooling pond. Some of it seems exaggerated, but, still worth a watch.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Historically inaccurate if all the actors have British accents. :D

15. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Watched the premier last night. Wow. The old boy in the meeting room blew me away, historically accurate in how they operate. Which is scary to me.

rd400racer likes this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If you plan to scrutinize the minutiae of it then yes. But once you get engrossed in the drama of it and realize it was a real incident that happened just a couple decades ago, it's chilling.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Cultural appropriation.

18. Yeah, they need to speak English with fake Russian accents. That makes it real!

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

No they need to speak Russian with English subtitles.

I have watched the documentaries on Chernobyl, I prefer the raw facts as opposed to needing the dramatical embellishments.

BHP41 and terminus est like this.
  20. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I work at a nuclear facility and we get a LOT of Chernobyl history and 'lessons learned.' The industry has changed a TON in 30 years, but I'm excited to see what may be another perspective of the story vs. what we hear in the industry.