1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cast Iron

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Lodge makes stuff that is cheap, holds heat like cast iron, heats even enough, holds seasoning well, will last forever, and handles eggs no problem. 20 bucks probably. It's not smooth, but it doesn't have to be.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I have their enameled dutch oven. It gets used way more than my bare cast iron.

3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Technology has moved along. There are a ton of things that cast iron still does incredibly well, and better than many other options. But when I'm banging out a bunch of eggs for people I'm going to use every tool I can to make it easier and faster. And I don't care if someone screws up a nonstick pan. I'll throw it away and get another. They mess up my cast iron and I have work to do.

JCW likes this.
  4. Knotcher

I hear you, but I haven’t ever thought that something was easier in the nonstick pans.

As to people hacking them up, yeah, but I don’t let noobs play in the kitchen.

I think the only real drawbacks are weight and learning curve.

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

That's a good looking griddle. You snag it off ebay? I've been looking for a large logo Griswald pan for a while now, but the prices people are asking is insane. More so because they usually do a half ass seasoning job and claim it as "restored". Fuck that. I'd rather get a rust bucket, strip and season it myself.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I've posted on this as well : older are better because the surface becomes smoother/polished. The sand casting surface isn't the best. My finest pan got dug out of the ground randomly, and after a lot of resto, has a nice fine polished cooking surface.
    So are we ready for a beeb CI stock competition?

7. Knotcher

Yeah. Reputable eBay cast iron seller. I plan on stripping and seasoning but maybe I’ll be surprised.

8. Knotcher

The older castings were finer which is why the cooking surfaces are smoother. There are some new companies making them that way but they are expensive.

OGs750 likes this.
  9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You can find new ones that are smooth, Field cast iron is one. They will cost more than a lodge, but totally worth it.
    Id like to get totally away from the throw away coated stuff, but i'm not that good yet. Cant cook eggs on CI without floating them in a puddle of grease, and we eat eggs almost every day. Anyone tried the newer Carbon steel pans yet?

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I haven’t tried a pan, but I have a carbon wok that I’ve seasoned and I love it. I treat it much the same way as my cast iron. Wipe it down, apply a light coat of oil, and you’re good to go.

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My Mom always cooked on cast iron, but I've never really given it an honest chance as a daily user. Even though I've got all her pans now, and have picked up a bunch of others at yard sales etc for cheap (I can't turn down a good deal....). I've grown to like my t fal pans, but always preferred the cast iron for developing some good crust on stuff like re fried potatoes and hashbrowns. Cast Iron just can't be beat for that. This thread makes me want to clean some up and put a few back in circulation. The only time they really get used anymore are shore lunches or dutch oven cooking in a campfire.

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with scrambled eggs on CI as some here are seeming to have. My mom started teaching me on a cast iron skillet when I was in grade school and started with eggs. I use butter or left over bacon/sausage grease, make sure the skillet is hot enough, and be patient with the eggs. Dont go all screwy trying to scramble them too quickly, and dont cook them too long/dry. Nobody want those crumbly/dry ass eggs. :crackup:I learned with a flimsy little metal spatula (you know the kind that makes that boing-oing sound from the cartoons when you use it) and it's still my preference.

13. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I don't know about you guys but several cast iron pans I cooking them I'm guessing as normal as you folks do?
    I will lightly grease a pan maybe with butter/oil etc.. or something to help something not stick, I don't let them sit I generally clean them fairly quickly and then they are flash dried in the burner till the water evaporates and they never rust.
    That's all I got!

14. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I can whip up the fluffiest scrambled eggs with the perfect consistency in a nonstick with just the right amount of butter... ill do it in the cast iron for shits and giggles but a nonstick is just easier.

My steaks and burgers go on the cast iron all the time. (Along with roasts i want to sear)
    Clean it with hot water and a light brush off with stainless steel if needed. I preserve the seasoned coating but I dont obsess over it.
    Honestly, it's a tool for a job. Doesnt have to be the Swiss army knife for my eggs too.
    If you want it to be, all the more power to you.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Doesn't non-stick have a toxic coating that wears away and leeches into the food?

~sent from mobile

JCW likes this.
  16. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

dont cook eggs or flaky fish in cast iron. Ive got a 30 yo seasoned pan and still wont do that ish. When I do I regret, or deal with the loss of food stuck to the pan. Cast iron, never soap unless you boil it off and then scrub it out and re season. You can take a wire wheel to a cast iron pan and salvage it. Any mineral oil will work to season, no food based oil as it spoils. To clean I just use hot water, and a scraper, if needed you can buy steel wool with out cleaner and its great, I just toss the pan on a burner then rub down with a lil oil before putting them back in the cabinet.

17. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

JCW likes this.
  18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I'll admit I worry about that sometimes esp when the wife leaves the burner on and overheats it...:mad:

BigBird likes this.
  19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a different seasoning method. Mineral oil won't polymerize on the surface of your pan.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President