1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cast Iron

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Sep 21, 2014.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Only thing I can imagine is removing material will increase the likelihood of warping, but it's probably negligible. If you do it let us know how it turns out.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I have a few pieces of CI. My go to is my grandmother's 12" skillet. She used it to make homemade quick bread in it (essentially self rising flour and lard). I think she had it for 25-30 years before I got it. For eggs, I use 2 tbsp of olive oil and a little butter. That's all it takes for a good pair of SSU eggs.

3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Copper has amazing thermal conductivity so it heats quickly and extremely evenly as well as cools quickly. For some things, this is crucial.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

This... Trying to make any type of cream based sauce is a thin pot metal sauce pan is a crap shoot at best. Hate it.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Enough on the chemical crap....

On copper, I do need to use my revere ware stuff more, out of practice with it so last few tries haven't been great.

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

If you Polish a pan it can only be used for frying pierogi.

YamahaRick and Jed like this.
  7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Or doing egg whites.
    Bling.
    I have one copper pot I like to braise in (as is common in latin cookery) I picked up for a few escudos in northern Portugal 27 years ago. Still going strong.

8. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

I've polished several for myself and others. There is no downside other than the time and mess. Polished cast iron is really nice to live with, in my opinion.

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Can you elaborate on this a bit?

What tools/techniques were used? How much material did you remove?

Any before/after pics? TIA.