1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cast Iron

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Sep 21, 2014.

1. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

That was a lawsuit concerning the effect of chemicals used in the process of making the nonstick pans leaching out into the water supply. It has nothing to do with toxic chemicals released using nonstick pans..... despite your condescending tone. Who needs to get a clue?

tophyr likes this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Buy the pans, increase DuPont demand to make more. More C8 in the waterways....propagates it throughout. His post with the article he cited is a superficial "Pans are Safe"
    overly simplified summation of the bigger picture.

It's like someone that protests animal cruelty outside a slaughter house going to the grocery store and buying a packet of sirloins and not having a clue as to how those steaks got there in the first place.

'Nuff said on that point.

The dude is a notorious mental checkers player. Metalhead's posts are entertaining.....he's just stupid..."Hey guys...my ex wife wants to stick it in my ass again....how should I position myself for maximum agony". Despite me and others constantly and consistently answering his queries in the notorious Divorce Thread with constant advise to NEVER trust an ex-wife, and ALWAYS cover your ass. So please, pardon my impatience.

There's football to be watched....so Peace!

badmoon692008 and JCW like this.
  3. StaccatoFan

4. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

That article nails it. I use a chain mail scrubber for mine for burned on food.

Bottom line for me is that Teflon pans are more convenient for a small enough range of scenarios by a rather small margin. For a lot of other scenarios they are terrible or not even an option. Since they are basically disposable vs. buy for life (hell multiple lives) I am just not going to buy any again.

Now, copper on the other hand... need to get me some of that.

BigBird likes this.
  5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    Chain mail scrubbers are game changers. I rarely use any water in my pans anymore. I just scrub off whatever crust is on there then wipe it down with a paper towel. Doing it this way rarely requires me to apply another coat of oil for storage.

6. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I have a clue, the stuff used then is not now. Read the article posted and you would realize that.

7. StaccatoFan

no...you don't....

DuPont just spun off another company to avoid their name in the lawsuits, made a minor chemical modification and renamed the C8 compound.
    I read it...and there's also an entire documentary about it and all the cancers and birth defects caused as well as the lawsuits from all this on Netflix titled
    "The Devil We Know".

BigBird likes this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

But are the deaths covid-related? o_O

BigBird, Phl218, 969 and 2 others like this.
  9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have a bunch of cast iron that I use when it is appropriate. That does happen to be most of the time especially on the grill. I also have several heavy stainless pans that I use for a variety of dishes on the stove. I also have 1 heavy stainless non-stick 12 inch deep frying pan that I use for certain dishes where the size, shape and non-stick matter to me. I like lots of pans, just like I like lots of knives. I could get by with my 12 in deep cast iron frying pan and my 6" chefs knife for everything, but I don't have to.

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

12 inch deep is a pot not a frying pan. :D

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Pretty sure he means a 12 inch diameter, deep-sided fry pan, aka a sauté pan, which by convention have 90-degree sides.

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Thanks Cap’n Obvious

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I was simply clarifying what comparatively deep, vertical side-walled pans are called.
    --C.O.

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Do you cook your eggs/etc with some sort of grease in the pan?

I hate grease. To the point that I don't cook my eggs in almost anything - the barest droplets of bacon grease that wouldn't drip out of the pan, or a half-second spritz of Pam if I didn't cook bacon beforehand.

I have never, even in my chef brother's finest cast iron, seen anything cook well or easy in CI dry.

15. Knotcher

Just wiped with avocado oil. Pan has to be hot before the eggs go in. Don’t touch them for a bit. They don’t stick and they aren’t greasy.

lopitt85 likes this.
  16. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but I don't want to eat any aerosolized, chemical concoction. I'll stick to butter and bacon grease

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

you realize literally everything is a chemical concoction, right? but whatever floats your boat, butter and bacon grease are more saturated but tasty too

Knotcher likes this.
  18. Knotcher

I don't think there is much to concern ourselves with regarding a bit of saturated fats.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Toxic ‘forever chemicals’ more common in tap water than thought, report says
    "Testing done by an environmental watchdog shows a class of chemicals called PFAS are running through dozens of U.S. cities. Here's what you should know."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/pfas-contamination-safe-drinking-water-study/

I was thinking copper was hype, is it a serious contender? We don't really cook/eat red meats, so is it good for fish, etc?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  20. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I have been seeing more infomation about polished cast iron pans and I am curious to polish one of mine to see if it improves the slickness of it. What are the downsides of doing it?