1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capital Punishment Question

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by guerrilla, Nov 4, 2003.

1. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

I was reading in today's Baltimore Sun about the case surrounding the sniper killings in the Virginia Area!

There are two options in the event of a conviction Life without Parole or Capital Punishment.

I am positively on the fence on the death penalty issue. I feel that there are flaws in our criminal justice system that make it VERY difficult to JUSTIFY killing someone.

With that being said it is the law and I support the law as it stands. If the individuals are found guilty of a CAPITAL MURDER I have to agree that CAPITAL PUNISHMENT is the only solution.

If we as a society have deemed that these individuals are NOT candidates for rehabilitation because their crimes were so heinous, it bothers me that we would be forced to support the life of an individual that has been judged unworthy of that life!

YOUR THOUGHTS???

2. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

Oh this one's gonnn be good :D

Very complicated issue with tons of misinformation and very strong opinions. I could dig up tons of figures as we go, but not inclined to spend the time (why am I doing this at 6 a.m.?)
    1) economic: cost of appeals far exceeds the cost of life imprisonment
    2) irregardless of this sniper fool, my big problem is the socioeconomic and racial, cultural bias: ain't to many rich white boys on the row. Think they'd ever fry Skaekel (sp?). the poor get terrible legal representation, but is their murder any more heinous than a rich guys?
    3) just too barbaric: there's been much done to make it appear civil, why, lethal injections are practically humane & fun. Why not show them on TV? It'd be too upsetting? Be damn good ratings boost, can you imagine the commercials? :D
    4) this sniper guy is a disgusting hunk of vomit, then he lured a teen into it with him... but if we can toast him, how do you draw a line??? The Green River killer got 46-plus, and he's gonna get life
    5) DNA testing has cleared many off death row recently, if you execute the wrong guy, how can they fix THAT one?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Capital punishment in the US lets them off too easy and takes way too long.

Change the method around to a Soviet style. Either work them to death on some grandiose project (litter clean up seems to fit that bill) or wake them up in the middle of the night (on their execution day, which they do not know) and put a bullet into their head.

Or better yet, bring back stoning into the US. Sell the rocks to the mob at $2 a piece and use the money to support the victims of the person about to be executed.

4. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

I have no problem with the notion of killing someone for their crime. The two punks who beat my uncle to death for the $30 he had in his wallet are two people I could off and sleep like a baby at night. They deserve to not only be put to death, but to be killed in a brutal, violent manner, just like they did to my uncle.

However, more and more I'm not sure I'm comfortable letting the state do it. These folks have shown, time and time again, that they can screw up a wet dream so I don't know if I trust them with making life-and-death decisions about people. When you consider that juries are made up of the 12 stupidest people they could find and that DA's are more worried about win-loss records than finding truth, it raises questions about the whole system in my mind.

But if they do it, I think it should once again be done in public, at noon, in the middle of town. You don't get the deterrent effect by conducting executions in secret in the wee hours of the morning. Take the SOB out, tie him to a post, and shoot his ass for all the world to see. Then the folks who are on the fence about committing serious crimes can see the fruits of that course of action and hopefully choose differently before someone gets hurt.

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

it's actually quite simple. take the names and faces out of court, and use a case# and presented evidence. that takes a "hung" jury out of the equation for race, and should appease yamaclown for the matter of "not enough whitey" on the row. secondly, if you willingly take a life, how else could you pay back society except for handing over all your good organs, and sustaining someone else's.

6. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

Would you want any organ from a psycopath?

I hate when someone makes it a socioeconomical and racial biased issue. Poor is poor and black or white if you're poor you will fry! Race has little bearing on the issue!

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Magillia brings up a good point. Harvest their organs for those that need them. A bullet to the back of the head provides the death that would allow this.

Let something good come out of these trash heaps lives.

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

haven't seen a succeful brain transplant yet, so yes i would.

although you should sign a consent form and give it a try. :D

9. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

Genesis 9:5
    And surely your blood, the blood of your lives, will I
    require; At the hand of every beast will I require it. And at
    the hand of man, even at the hand of every man's brother,
    will I require the life of man.

Genesis 9:6
    Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be
    shed: For in the image of God made he man.

I must be too easy to convince, things like the Holy Scripture is why liberals don't like God

10. WeaselBob

No, you're too close minded to let in reason: Jesus was a liberal you fool :D

and why your use of it in this fashion is blasphemous
    The book is a spiritual guide that's been altered to fit people's agenda (i.e. King James), no better or worse than any other religious scripture (quaran, torah, etc). It's a spiritual guide, not a tool for winning arguments or proving your point

and for every bible quote you offer, someone can counter with another.

11. WeaselBob

1) many states do not allow DR inmates to donate organs
    2) not saying people are sentenced because of color, but the rate of sentencing is disproportionate to the racial makeup of crimes (sorry, that's not too clear, is it? Let me try again)
    1) black or brown convicted are sentenced to execution at a much higher rate that white convicted of the same type crime
    2) black/brown murder of white are sentenced at a much higher rate than white on black/brown.... both of these regardless of the racial makeup of the jury.

We do agree on the economic issue, if you poor gonna sizzle (or now-a-days just take a long nap). Poor guys can't afford OJ's multi-million $$ dream team. You think even a middle-class killer coulda beat that evidence?

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure. I'll take a spleen and maybe a pancreas. I'll wear them like people used to wear coon skin caps. Start a new fashion trend, psychopath organ hats.

13. WeaselBob

long as they ain't fur, fashion disaster to P.O the animal rights folk

14. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

this is not true according to npr convicted of the same crime white will get the hardest sentance. However more black are convicted of captitol crimes. I think because the whites sneek into the ghetto bars at night in black face and shoot people.

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

That's Grape Ape, you IDTIO :D

Signed,

Beaglie

16. dtalbott

That's actually a very good idea, Brad. The only problem is it assumes that the members of the jury can actually read and comprehend what they have read.

17. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

one of the reasons I hate voir dire is you can strike all the people that can think.
    so it becomes a jury of the least qualified rather then a jury of ones peers.

18. 418

418 Expert #59

Kill'em all and let God sort it out. :D

19. WeaselBob

Naw, I think Dave's hit on something that should stick
    [​IMG]

"We’ve got a gorilla for sale
    Magilla Gorilla for sale.
    Won’t you buy him,
    Take him home and try him,
    Gorilla for sale.

Don’t you want a little gorilla you can call your own,
    A gorilla who’ll be with ya when you’re all alone?

Spoken: How much is that gorilla in the window?"

Take our advice,
    At any price,
    A gorilla like Magilla is mighty nice.
    Gorilla, Magilla Gorilla for sale.

20. dtalbott