1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canceled: AMA Races at Miller Motorsports Park

Discussion in 'General' started by SVbadguy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I'm not talking about just that decision Frank. The whole series is a cluster and it seems like it is only going to get worse.

I'll be asleep before the racing on Speed comes on tonight, but it will be tivo'd and I will watch it when I get a chance so I won't voice my opinion on the new tv schedule until I see what they came up with for an 11pm time slot 2 weeks after the event.

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Maybe what sucks is your ability to find things on the Interwebs. ;)

I'll help you out, here's 2008 archives, they've only been posted on the beeb about 10,000 times in the past. :D

http://home.ama-cycle.org/prorace/archive/schedule.asp?year=2008&rtype=rr

Herrin was on the pole last year with a 1:25.475, Hayes was 7th with a 1:26.605. That's 1.13 seconds.

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I have to to weld some parts, but I will come back to see the links..thanks Frank.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Thanks :) I looked at the amasuperbike site, should have known better as I guess they aren't part of of the AMA anymore. Yeah, it's closer now, but tell me what was wrong with the supersport class last year that needed fixing?

5. Knarf Legna

LOL, no, I don't have one, you'll have to get amafan to give you a link for that. :D

You want details? You see Britt, I can deal with the bullets, and the bombs, and the blood here on the beeb. I don't want money, and I don't want medals. What I do want is for you to stand there in that faggoty Carhartt uniform and with your chicken house mouth extend me some fucking courtesy. You gotta ask me nicely.

Again, I don't see how making a decision to skip an event where a business would loose money is a bad thing, but maybe that's just me. Sure seems to be just me and a very few others around here who's thinking like someone with business experience. It would have been unprofitable. How's that a bad decision? Anyone have an answer for that?

I really don't want to beat on the delayed broadcast dead horse again, either. Maybe it was another financial decision because the cost of live coverage couldn't be covered due to the lack of sponsors because of the bad economy/shitty past ratings/full moon. Maybe the format changed because what was done in the past, live or live to tape, wasn't working. Maybe all of us hard core fans didn't amount to a hill of beans financially, and weren't enough to justify the expense of continued live coverage. Maybe AMA Pro Racing realized this and is looking to generate a new class of fan. I don't know, but it is what it is, and all of the griping and whining in the world won't change it.

6. Knarf Legna

What did they fix? :confused:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Putting your series and it's riders and teams in front of one of the biggest crowds at a motorcycle roadracing event in the US is good for the series. Even if they don't pay you as much as you want it's a worthwhile event to do. Even if you promised too much in purses based on sanction fees you didn't have signed contracts for it's worthwhile to do.

But that's me...

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The rules are the same as 2008? I thought they changed them.

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Exactly :crackup::crackup::crackup:

10. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

They fuxxed it real good!:down:
    Basturds!

11. paunchy

paunchy Well-Known Member

This is great news! I'm actually quite a bit more tempted to get out to Utah for the weekend.

12. Knarf Legna

In general I agree... but not knowing specific details we're both just guessing.

13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Was it a big crowd last year? I was thinking it wasn't.

14. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

frank... how much is DMG paying you to be their constant cheerleader on here???? really though, they can do no wrong by you. you are like a drunk guy at 4am. the bitch is ugly, fat and hideous, but you are happy to take her home. at what point are you going to say (if ever) that they have screwed the pooch?

you mention the economy, bad ratings etc for the current tv program.... is it even possible in your mind that if DMG didnt do its damn best to piss all the manufacturers off, that they may still be willing to contibute money to the show?

15. Knarf Legna

I'm not the one who made the statement that they fixed anything. Basically last year's Supersport with some tweaks and more eligible bikes. Supersport was some of the best AMA racing, and right now it looks like nothing will change in that regard, in fact it might be even better.

16. Knarf Legna

About 50k for the weekend IIRC. Not good in SBK terms, not bad for AMA.

17. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

I don't agree, let the best ride, regardless of age.

Is RogerE really Roger Edmonson????????? If, what a turd, :( :stupid:

18. Knarf Legna

LOL, you and Mongo sound like a broken record. I call them as I see them, and I think DMG has made plenty of mistakes. What I'm not going to do is pile on like most others here while dreaming up stupid conspiracy theories, dumb ideas and totally disregarding common sense. This is professional motorcycle racing, a business, and if you don't understand that businesses need to first make decisions with regard to profit and to their primary responsibility - the owners - then you should take a basic business course at your community college.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, I've praised DMG stuff when I agree and I disagree when I disagree. You are the constant saying the same stuff broken record ;)

20. BHakalaw

BHakalaw Well-Known Member

You have one of motorcycle racing's biggest stages coming to town in World Superbike. Last year, AMA was dueled with WSB at Miller, and I believe it was a great thing for the AMA. Even though they were on "different" courses, many were speculating that Ben and Mat in the AMA were faster than the WSB guys. In my eyes, that gains credibility for the AMA. This year, even though Ben and Mat are in different series, if Mat's splits are comparable to Ben's in various sections of the track that are similar, even though Mat is no longer riding a true "Superbike," I believe this would add to the AMA's credibility. Everytime the AMA is dualed with WSBK or MotoGP, it gives the AMA another opportunity to show the rest of the world that the racing here is very high quality, can compete with the best, and deserves worldwide attention.

At this point, with all of the negative publicity in the offseason, in my humble opinion, the AMA needs to be doing everything it can to be gaining fans, not losing fans. In a successful business model, the more fans you acquire, the more money you make. Simple economics. This post doesn't require the discussion of all monies spent and received, so I'm going to leave that aspect alone.

Now, I wasn't party to any of the conversations that took place between MMP and AMA/DMG, so I can't speak to what actually happened, what was said, or why specific decisions were made. It would be mere speculation, and at this point, that wouldn't be fair to either party. What I do know is that if I was operating the AMA, I would be making some concessions to ensure that my racing program was in line with one of the hottest racing brands in the world, WSBK, as the benefits should far exceed the burdens in such a scenario. The fact that Ben has thus far dominated WSBK this year is a fact that the AMA should be exploiting the heck out of, esp. in conjunction with a dualed race between WSBK and AMA. Unfortunately, the AMA is not going to be dualed with WSBK at miller, thereby losing a prime opportunity to showcase how good the racing is over here in the states, simply because the parties couldn't come to terms. Somewhere along the lines, someones priorities got messed up, as goal No. 1 should have been to have those AMA bikes sharing the same paddock and track with the WSBK crew.

Look, I just as much as anyone wants motorcycle racing in general to succeed within the US, in whatever form. I have a passion for the sport and want to see the sport gain popularity within the U.S. as it has in Europe, as I belive such expansion is a necessity for the viability of the sport. However, it appears to me that the current direction of the AMA/DMG is not going down the path of attracting more fans, but rather, alienating the current fan base and minimal to attract new fans.

So, when it should be clear that the parties should have come to terms to have the AMA riders racing at MMP with WSBK to expose the AMA "brand" to new fans, which in my mind is a rare and golden opportunity, the parties were solidified in their positions, and thus, have foegone the ability to make happen what should be happening.

just my $0.02

Ohh....and by the way, my name is not Brian.