1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we discuss TWA 800?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Robby-Bobby, May 12, 2019.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I thought the actual evidence showed the explosion originated in the center fuel tank, and the blast pattern showed such?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. But there was some smoke in the air I swear it! :crackup:

Where's the leprechaun in Mobile video to show what people will believe? :D

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I believe we're looking for a shovel. If it's a conspiracy, gotta find the entity that buried it.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

How many people would know what a missile looked like would be a pertinent question. The next question would be what missile is capable of the range, and what is the launcher. Depending on the answers to #2 that might mean the hardware was large, did anyone see it? If I was interested and available for the investigation that is where I would start.

Though I think Mongo called it on being BS

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Pretty sure at least 3 of those witnesses were military, one helicopter pilot and another retired high up all accounted it as well.

It wasn’t just some lady’s grandma who “might have seen something”

I know you’re having fun at my expense, and I’m definitely not a typical conspiracy person but come on, HUNDREDS of people saw something from the ground up. Then hit the plane.

The official story makes asmuch sense as a velvet painting of a dolphin and a whale getting it on.

What about the evidence of the fbi folks coming into the warehouse and switching labels of parts from the debris field? Why would they come in after midnight-3am?

Guess I couldn’t bother you to take an hour and watch the documentary?

7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Several military witnesses, a helicopter pilot, a high up retired officer, etc. again, not all them were just regular people. That’s what might bug me the most. Actual reliable witnesses imo.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I'll watch it. Where did you find it?

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

10. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

"IF" it was a missile, what was accomplished? Who stood to gain from it? What terrorist groups accepted responsibility?
    People don't shoot down planes for shits and giggles.

11. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

The accusations right after it happened was it was a miltary training accident that went wrong.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't matter what they did or do - eyewitnesses, even trained one, suck at recalling what they truly saw.

I've heard these conspiracies since the crash. The actual physical evidence clearly showed an internal explosion. As for watching - no, I won't watch it if the point is to dredge up old conspiracy silliness. As for the official story - shorted wiring igniting fuel vapors is nonsense?

No radar contact with anything remotely like a missile - real actual active radars that would have picked one up. No sign of high explosives on the debris. Nothing but some people thinking they saw something. There is just no way it was a missile. No clue what the people saw but a missile it wasn't. Nothing from the ground took that plane out.

FWIW I'm not messing with you and I'm sure the show painted a very compelling picture but the real facts don't come close to bearing out any of that.

13. Spang308

This sums up my conclusion when I was reading up on it 20 years ago.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure we went through it all on here then :D I did go check some stuff but it all jived with what I remember from when it happened too.

15. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

For anyone interested in this I highly recommend "NightFall" by Nelson DeMille. 100% fiction but man, what a good read.

16. Spang308

Same. I spent a lot of time following this years ago. Another hour won't hurt.
    Rob, which documentary? There are a million out there.
    Got a link?

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

A missile is a self-guided rocket. The guidance system in smaller missiles is optical, it sees in infrared and needs a heat signature for targeting. A strike, dead center of the wingspan on a multi-engine aircraft, would have to have more sophisticated navigational parameters than what the current inventory provides. Proportional navigation systems, found in "sophisticated" small missiles, take into account the flight speed of the target and adjust the POI forward of the heat signature, but they don't split the difference between two heat sources.

How far can a small (man-portable), anti-aircraft missile fly? Two+ miles. There would have to have been a boat along the flight path, accompanied by a big "boom" when they pulled the trigger. Some seconds later, depending on distance, the payload will have been delivered and what was flying is now dying.
    If a missile-armed aircraft were the culprit, it would not need line-of-sight to a get a "lock" and could, therefore, be an over-the-horizon launch...very sophisticated missile.
    Don't know whether Sidewinders, et al, leave a smoke trail but a Stinger is a smokeless stick flying at Mach 2+...you'll never see it coming with the naked eye. You might hear it being launched if you're not the target.

18. sheepofblue

Assume they were correct. What was the altitude and what missiles are capable of reach?

19. sheepofblue

2 miles direct or ground track? I suspect the commercial jet was already quite high by the time it was over the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIM-92_Stinger this states an increase to 25K without ground range specified (the two have to be related). So if the commercial flight had gotten to altitude.....

Of course non-shoulder based stuff would be different but also harder to conceal.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

IMO, one would be better served spending that hour listening to the latest "Hidden Brain" episode on what science reveals about how humans come to form what they believe. It's from yesterday, so not posted up yet, but will be within a few days. I'm guessing you have no interest in that, though.
    No. :D

Last edited: May 13, 2019