1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a company make you go on a business trip and then make you share a room?

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Mar 8, 2012.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

when my company sends crews out... they share rooms unless there is an odd # of folks.
    The employees are paid a per diem and the hotels are not flea bags.
    Dont like it... get your own room on your own dime if you want to work.
    We had a guy quit on a Tuesday when on a remote job. Wanted to be reimbursed for cab fare back from 6hrs away...lol. Just to be an ass I mailed his check, sans postage, to his last known address.

2. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Are you guys saying you don't get paid for the time on a plane or for the time at the conference?

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

You live in some alternate universe dude.

4. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

worked at a place where it was company paid 2-up or or you had the option of taking per-diem, and the per-diem rates meant you had to cover a portion out of your own pocket. I luckily never had to travel with anyone else

5. 418

418 Expert #59

As opposed to use, use, use until another person that'll do it for cheaper comes along?

6. cpettit

I get paid from the time i leave my hotel or house or wherever i am till i return. They can impose all the restrictions they want during those hours but once i step through my door it ends.

7. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

It's not take, take, take - it's called supply and demand. There is high demand for certain people and little supply, why the hell would you work for someone who forces you to bunk with a stranger when there are 100 companies who are ready to hire you who wouldn't?

Listen, not all industries are the same, in some it may be completely acceptable, but in others, it's not. Believe it or not, even though the economy is in the crapper for most of America, there are still companies and industries that are thriving and losing good talent costs a fuckload of money, no reason to risk that.

8. Mblashfield

I'm being very nice. You are in the minority. I can talk with you guys or buy a fucking book. I don't like to read.

Talk and learn or dont participate.

9. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

I make a salary, the years of working hourly ended in college. I work when I need to work and rest when I can rest - the hours aren't important, getting the job done is.

10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Screwdriver factories have no heart. Come on man, have a heart.:D

11. Alanjtc73n

Alanjtc73n Well-Known Member

Five years ago, my company made us share rooms. Then we had an individual undergo gender reassignment surgery. Next meeting, we all had individual rooms. As long as she continues to work for the company we'll have individual rooms. Win.

12. Mblashfield

Do you believe this is the reality in America?

13. Mblashfield

Like I said, more power to you. Congratulations.

You represent less than 1% of the workforce in this country.

I mean it, as a business owner, I could see myself envying you at times.

14. cpettit

I do.

15. Mblashfield

You could quit your job and get another equal paying job at 100 other companies tomorrow?

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so travel is included in your job?

17. Mblashfield

I understand this perspective completely.

18. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

As a small business owner, and responsible for my employees feeding their families, I see it this way:

Would you rather get a steady paycheck and share a room, or me spend your christmas bonus on separate rooms throughout the year?

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Some of us are salary and have negotiated additional pay if asked to travel. If they want me to travel to do something I could do from my couch...that costs extra. It certainly cuts down on the unneeded travel expenses.

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

In some industries, yes. The vast majority of others, no.

I really don't see the big deal for a company footing the bill for individual rooms. Its cool if the employees don't care, but it really ain't that much coin. If it is too expensive, then the trip wasn't needed anyway. I think that too many put too much value on these meeting trips. Looking back, I'd say half of the ones that I was sent on were a complete waste of resources....damn, we have a phone.