1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a company make you go on a business trip and then make you share a room?

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Mar 8, 2012.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My cousin called me earlier all freaked out because her company (a nationwide retail chain) is sending her to Cleveland to a management seminar or some shit. They told her she will have to share a hotel room with a girl from another district who is a complete stranger and that is their standard corporate practice. It is at the Crowne Plaza and I'm sure they are getting a huge group discount so WTF?

I told her no f@cking way would I ever agree to that, I've quit/been fired from jobs for way less than that. Who gets to wreck the bathroom first in the morning? Do you do the sock on the dorknob if you're getting laid? Is that even legal?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They can but why would they? I stay 60 nights plus with IHG (crowne plaza) and the perks they offer make stupid shit like double bunking a crime.

3. scotth

scotth Banned

I'm sure it's legal, a lot of companies do it. I wouldn't work for one, but a lot of people do.

4. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Hmmm

I had this happen, but it was with fellas from my own company, so I wasn't too pissed, but the fact is a bunch of 'em are heavyweight sloth-type snorers.

Needless to say I didn't get shit for sleep and the next day, looking like an extra from the Trainspotting toilet sequence I told the big boss "Never again", and on the next trip we are informed that if we want our own room we'd have to pay the difference, which I did.

My advice to your cuz is to tell them the arrangements are unacceptable and see if they'll get her a solo room, or offer to pay the diff.
    No fucking way I'll ever share a room (again) on a biz trip...

5. cpettit

That's what i told her. I travel for a living and there is no way i would even share a room with one of my normal co workers let alone a stranger. What if they are a slob or try fucking with you when you're sleeping? I would tell the boss i have a social anxiety or something. There's no way they can force you to bunk with a starnger or else get fired is there?

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Last place I worked for had us on the road most of the year. We nearly always shared a room. Luckily I worked with a buddy and we got along. No man should have to spend that much time sleeping next to another man unless you're in jail. Or into it I suppose. We had a lot of laughs though, brought our bikes nearly everywhere we went.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Also, if they won't get you a solo room, AND won't split the difference with you (which costs them nothing and doubles the number of stays they're booking earning them more perks points) try getting your involuntary roomie to split the cost.

If all that fails, you can always just scare the roomie into getting their own room altogether. Might I suggest a warning about your affliction of nude sleepwalking. :crackup:

8. scotth

scotth Banned

Heh. One of the 'suite' hotels in Pensacola, Florida still has me on a 'do not rent' list. Apparently the sight of a race bike in the living room isn't something the maid felt was appropriate and ratted me out to the front desk.

You say 'living room', I say 'garage'. It fit through the door, so...

Wait, that's how you meant 'take the bikes with you', right?

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I did it on rock tours but refused on one off events. No way would I do it for a white collar job.

10. Chip

Chip Registered

Tell her to never even consider going racing for a living...

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Depends. In many states you can fire an employee for no reason.

12. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Pics.

13. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Agreed, I'll add that I def wasn't working a white collar job :)

14. cpettit

She's a manager at a retail store, not exactly white collar but it is a huge nationwide company. I can't believe the answers here. I expected no, no and hell fucking no. Maybe i'm spoiled but i have never heard of anyone outside of maybe construction or racing sharing rooms on business. That seems like a real privacy and or health/saftey issue to me.

15. scotth

scotth Banned

I think it's actually very common. I hear about it all the time, and there's a reason hotels have all those rooms with double beds.

I think the recourse here is either don't go, or work for someone else.

Or try all those other suggestions. A lot of people that talk about it say their company has the 'you can pay extra for your own room' thing. Try that.

But it must be legal, because it's very common.

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Use to be standard operating procedure for my company. But I have never shared a room. A few well placed farts will get you far in life.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Of course it's legal. Employers can make all sorts of unreasonable demands. What would possibly be illegal about it? They're not forcing her to do anything. She can quit at any time.

I had to share a room with my old boss once. It made Jersey even more miserable than normal.

I just made a point to book a 5 AM flight so I was up before 3 and got packed with all the lights on, slammed some doors, drank all the coffee, etc. Next trip, I had the option of booking my own room.

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Your cousin's a candy ass! :D

19. gogunbaba

gogunbaba Well-Known Member

it is very common. It is pretty normal to share a room on a business trip in the company I work for.

20. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Tell her to thank her lucky stars she even has a job.