1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a company make you go on a business trip and then make you share a room?

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Mar 8, 2012.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

For a business function, hell no.

2. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

it was for a MMA league, that is no longer around.

and now I'm 100% self employed.

3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

No they cant make you share a room, but they can refuse to pay for a solo room. Your choice if you want to pay for one yourself.

<--- lives in a hotel room 4 nights a week with a co-worker, and 3 nights a week at home with my wife. It gets OLD.

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Not sure why that is even relevant but you have certainly showed everyone what you think. You will share a room with anyone for any reason....:D

And I work for the Evil Red Empire of Halliburton.

5. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I'm extremely curious, as a business owner, where the sense of entitlement comes from.

6. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

It's not like they're sleeping in the same bed.

...or are they...

7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I work for www.flottweg.com

We actually fuck with new people and tell them that they have to room with another person when we send them out of town. My hotel room is my private place. I could not work all day and then deal with that shit in the eve. I need my quiet time.

8. Mblashfield

I don't pry opinions like this from my employees so when it come this easy I'm ALL OVER IT!

9. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

Do companies do it? Yes. Is it legal? Of course. Would I work for one of those companies? No. I travel quite a bit for work and I have never shared a room (actually typing this from a room on the road) - hell, I was pissed when one of our clients booked us into a Hilton Garden Inn (those things are just creepy).

10. darylbowden

It comes from the fact that in some companies happy employees are a great commodity and in certain industries there is no shortage of poaching, so being cheap and making your employees miserable is a great way to lose good talent quickly.

11. Mblashfield

Endulge me....

You are on a BUSINESS TRIP. You are being paid.
    Why would you expect the luxury of something you provide for yourself on your own time?

12. Mblashfield

Do you believe in the tooth fairy and the money tree?

13. Mblashfield

If the big H took a dump and cut back on perks would you quit?

14. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

not my dollar, not my decision. That said I would pay my way on my own room.

15. Mblashfield

Thanks for your answers, really.

16. darylbowden

Umm, no I just happen to work for one of the largest and most successful digital agencies in the world - in a very senior position.

You can run your business however you like. However, at our company, we hire less than %0.5 of the people who submit resumes to us, so when we find the people who we really want, we aren't going to scare them off to any one of competitors hungry for the talent we've recruited and cultivated. We compete with Apple, Google and Facebook for talent, I'm guessing that's not the case for you.

17. Mblashfield

Good for you! Thanks for reply.

18. scotth

scotth Banned

What he said--it depends on the industry, but there's simply no way you'd get any of our people to share a room. They're professionals, and expect to be treated as such. And if you don't they'll leave.

That's not 'entitlement', any more than not spitting on them every day when they walk in is 'entitlement'.

No, you're getting paid to work from (roughly) eight to five. I don't expect you to share a bedroom with a co-worker when you're not out of town. What makes you think moving the employees to a different town is license to pretend it's summer sleep-away camp in the Catskills?

He would if someone offered better conditions, pay, etc.

19. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I guess i just don't know any different. It strikes me as completely unreasonable for an employer to expect someone to share a room with someone that they don't know. I am not being paid for my time after work ends in the evening what i do then is my business. I will go out of town for them, work long hours, even work through the weekend but when my time on the clock ends i am on my own and not sharing my space or privacy with anyone else. When i finish work at the end of the day i turn it off. No more emails, no phone calls (unless it's a real emergency) and i'm not even thinking about work. I think it is totally unacceptable to expect someone to put up with that shit.

20. Mblashfield

So I'm hearing take, take, take, untill things go bad. Move to next fat cat?