1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable news

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gixxerreese, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Cable news is not at fault. The fault lies with the viewers who believe the crap they're being shown. Reading is fundamental.

2. scotth

scotth Banned

since faux new has painted it so.

I'm not saying that the 'truth' is the sole province of the democratic party (or any party), I'm saying that the media report what they think sells. which is usually bad news, or something salacious, or a scandal. they like to be able to say they found something and broke the story and people watch/read/whatever.

I think since reagan, and certainly the last 20 years or so, the people that call themselves republican (see below) have just managed to be more inept, or more stupid, or to look worse while being as bad as everybody else.

the media reports that, and the response from the republican masses (half of which are below average...) is to shoot the messenger instead of hear the message.

basically, somebody said something bad about your kid. instead of discipling the kid, you get mad at the person. I know, I know you'd never react like that. let's just say all your friends do.

so to put it simply: it's not that there's a liberal/left/democratic bias in the media, it's that the 'tards really are that bad.

rupert murdock finally came along and realized that there was this mass of idiots that were tired of being told their group was retarded. in effect, he said, no, it's not that they're retards, they're all great people. it's that nasty media! they're distorting everything! I will give you a place that caters to you! and the 'tards (half of which are below average, remember) thought it was a revelation. (note: this is not new, and it's not unique, murdock is just the most recent to exploit it so well.)

put another way: it's not that your more-successful coworker is somebody's favorite nephew, it's that you really just aren't as good as him. but I know you love the story that it's nepotism.

I'm not at all saying democrats are the shining beacons of propriety, just that in recent history they've managed to suck ever-so-slightly less.

nor am I saying the 'media' (however you want to define it) is some en masse bastion of truth and unbiased reporting. I am sure they're wrong as much as they're right in many respects. just that I doubt a mass liberal bias in journalism. I suppose we could argue that since most of them went to college (and since we all know them thar coledge pepple are democrats) that education made them liberal (and in fact people have been saying education is a liberalizing activity since people began to get formal educations), but I doubt you want to go there.

and I don't think the whole democrat/republican thing holds an ounce of water. nelson rockefeller wouldn't recognize w as a republican. I'm not sure george h.w. bush would recognize the people currently calling themselves republican as republicans if their leader wasn't his kid, which is why I use the 'currently calling themselves'. if you look at what republicans defined as being 'republican' even 20 years ago then compare it to what the current republican leadership is pushing, you don't see much overlap. (and the same has happened to democrats as well, etc., etc.) so I'm not arguing from a ideological perspective. I'm saying that the members of your tribe actually suck (irrespective of what they're calling themselves) and that someone is pointing this out in print and broadcast media doesn't make them 'liberal', it makes them astute.

3. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Interesting. So half of the Dems are below average too. What a revelation! Half the people are below average. :up:

4. scotth

scotth Banned

dammit! piNCutA was going to see that and take offense. now you've tipped him off.

quick, edit and delete... :D

I used to have a professor that used to look out over the class as if evaluating our very worthiness of existence and say contemplatively, "remember, half of you are below average..."

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Ironically, it can be just as dangerous as TV.

Paging RoadracerX! :D

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

So only unemployed retired Admirals and Generals are allowed to be analysts on cable news? Sorry but retired brass tend to stick close to home for their second careers. Finding a truely independant guy like that is not easy.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Fahrenheit 451

Newscasts are quickly forgotten. The written word lingers on.

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Where did I say that? I just asked what made it illegal. I had never heard that.

9. 999

999 Well-Known Member

I think that it was a reference to the Smith-Mundt Act, which addresses American propaganda efforts overseas, but prohibits those efforts from being broadcast here.

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Oh okay. I really had not heard anything about that stuff. I knew propaganda was used a lot in wars and other things but just never thought about it being on US land or not.