1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable news

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gixxerreese, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're presented as ex-military and you really believed they were going to be 100% unbiased? Seriously?

:crackup:

Oh my god no wonder scammers make so much money in this country :D

2. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

Sad to say, but thats what happens when you dumb the people down so much they will believe almost anything.

When you say scammers do you mean politicians?

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Gee, I wonder what you could possibly mean by that...

4. Ganja Dude

Exactly what I said. What did you think I was trying to imply by saying that?

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I am playing with you, dopey. We both know "almost anything" means "pot is bad for you." ;)

6. Ganja Dude

Gotcha, must be the pot making me paranoid again. :D

7. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

The point being that any commentary by current or ex-military, especially Generals, is considered unimpeachable and no one is allowed to "legitimately" disagree with them unless you be considered an American-hatin' lunatic.

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Well, if it has to do with what's going on in Iraq chances are they know more about what's going on than 99.9% of America and quite frankly, no one else is really qualified to dispute it other than other military personnel.

Of course if they are lying that's different. :p

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Independent? Free thinker? Intelligent?

Sorry, that’s much too difficult for those who need simple labels to make their lives easier.

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Cite, please.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I was thinking crotchity.

Butt I must stuff all dem pigeons in de proper hole.

12. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

There's a thread now with the link in it.

13. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

It wasn't disclosed that many of the commentators make a living lobbying for military contracts. There is a difference between simple bias and an outright conflict of interest with Pentagon shills delivering propaganda fluff disguised as independent analysis.

14. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

Here's my real point and what I think MR516 was getting at too. The DOD maintained a "military analysts" program made up of former generals.
    They were provided with talking points and flown off on junkets to Gitmo, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. to be briefed and strategized. These same retired generals then came back and dispersed across the airways as "former" military without revealing that they were in fact, still "working" for the Pentagon. If they are claiming to be former military and and that they are independent analysts while not disclosing their current affiliations then that is misleading, unethical, and even illegal since the DOD is not allowed to propagandize within US borders.

All of this is not as much of a knock on the military as it is on the cable networks who frequently knew about the program but went along it for various reasons.

In many cases the generals were also being paid as consultants or sat on the boards of defense contractors who stood to gain financially from DOD contracts. I'm pretty sure that's a conflict of interest.

Regardless, the program was suspended months ago after it came to light:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/26/w...igg&adxnnlx=1216671331-DsUuWBx0+IEGvSU1uL4rMg

15. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Not if you can read.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

So who do you get to run these large DoD contractors if you don't use former military personnel? Sorry but the military background tends to make you the most qualified applicant in most cases.

Illegal to propagandize within US borders?? What exactly does that mean and where does it come from?

17. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

As far as paying commentators that's relatively benign. The Bush Administration has used much more deceitful tactics in the past: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-01-06-williams-whitehouse_x.htm

"Seeking to build support among black families for its education reform law, the Bush administration paid a prominent black pundit $240,000 to promote the law on his nationally syndicated television show and to urge other black journalists to do the same.

The contract may be illegal "because Congress has prohibited propaganda," or any sort of lobbying for programs funded by the government, said Melanie Sloan of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. "And it's propaganda."

They've secretly paid commentators in the past with tax payer dollars to promote their agenda.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Commentary by anyone is their opinion, nothing more. I don't believe what talking heads on the television tell me any more than I believe what politicians say in campaign speeches.

19. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

I never said I had a problem with DoD contractors hiring military personnel...not sure how you're getting that from what I posted. My post is about the conflict of interest involved in being a lobbyist/consultant/board member for a defense contractor, getting briefed on DoD talking points, then going out representing yourself as "independent" on cable news.

20. Ganja Dude

You may not believe what they say, but the problem is that many do. Which is where the problems come in when you have so called independent ex-military talking up stuff that they are paid and told what to talk about by the pentagon.