1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C8 Corvette Reveal

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Jul 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

To be fair, last couple years some higher level trim Camaro's could give a base level Corvette troubles in the performance categories. And be cheaper.

noles19, XFBO and BigBird like this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's why Chevy will not try to make it difficult for you to buy a Corvette. :D

stk0308 likes this.
  3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

No one cares. :D

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The earlier versions are worse, because they’re only direct injected. Due to emissions, crankcase vapors are plumbed into the intake tract. That oil gets cooked to the intake ports and valves, causing carbon buildup that eventually starts holding valves open. The later versions have a second set of injectors in the intake tracts that are supposed to wash the intake ports and valves and help prevent carbon buildup. However, that hasn’t proven to be reliable, either.

Ford decided to mount the turbos in the exhaust manifolds making the assembly integral. The extreme heat generated in the exhaust tract cooks the bearings and seals, causing more oil issues for the intake tract. When they fail, the entire topend of the engine, intake tract, and charge cooler have to come off so the oil can be cleaned out. It’s a whole lot of shop hours.

The aforementioned spark plug issues are a nightmare, as well. There’s actually a thread repair kit for them, now.

I’m not a tech. However, a close friend is an independent tech and regularly gets stuff referred to him from dealerships. He had a carboned up F-150 EB in there, last week. He got in a referred Fusion EB, yesterday, with layered issues the dealer techs supposedly can’t figure out. Stopped in, today, and he said the charging system is producing ~8V and mentioned the dealer just put in a new transmission. I shook my head and told him the transmission was probably a lack of voltage to properly operate it and the electronics. He thought so, too.

The other brands aren’t immune to issues, either.

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't think those EB engines were ever built to last much beyond 100k. I put that out when they were released and not many agreed. One thing about these DI engines - the dirty valves is an easy fix. Route the PCV through a catch can and you'll be fine.

ducnut likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A catch can is probably good for any engine, especially with ethanol fuels and complex intake manifolds. When I pulled my failed Silverado engine, the inside of the intake was coated with oil. Moroso make one specific to this truck I’ve been looking at getting.

7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Is that a newer ecoboost thing? I remember when they came out and someone was reviewing the 3.5L. They talked and showed pics of how small the collector on the exhaust manifolds were, in order to increase velocity and spool quicker. Their point was an aftermarket header with bigger collector could be a big power gain.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You can do an image search on the manifolds and see where the turbos bolt directly to them. Ford’s ad-speak is the increased exhaust heat creates more energy for higher outputs and efficiency. Unfortunately, it cooks them.

Yes, the outlets are pretty small. Yes, it’s for exhaust velocity and quicker spool times. That’s why they run two smaller turbos, as opposed to a larger single. People who buy 1/2T pickups want that uncompromising and quick acceleration. I get it.

For reference, 1000rwhp, single turbo setups, on V-8 engines commonly run 2-1/4” downpipes, so I’m not sure the EB’s manifold outlets are a restriction at their advertised power level.

9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

67404024_10157560555049266_3583029355191730176_n.jpg

Fitting for some of the replies in this post...

418, G 97 and Steeltoe like this.
  10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Also most performance shops have a way to clean them via walnut shell or bead blasting. I had my last BMW checked and done at 50k miles. It cost about $400 and didn't realllllllly need done but i wanted to see if the oil catch can was working and it was in for a minor service anyway.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

True but man those Camaro's have huge blind spots and are somewhat challenging to see out of etc. I also don’t find them to be a fun car to drive. :)

stk0308 likes this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I did mine on my old Hyundai with a portable media blaster and walnut shell. It wasn't hard at all but it was an I-4. A V engine would be much more difficult. I believe there's some sort of foaming treatment they use now that's supposed to eat up the deposits. I need to have my truck looked at. It's a 5.3L DI and I don't think it has the upstream injectors to keep the valves clean. It just rolled over 100k and seems to be a little down on power and shuddery.

ducnut likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The SS is fun to drive but agree on the blind spots, they are huge.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I used to have a 2012 (wife's, not SS though) and never really liked it. I thought they made the new ones easier to drive and easier to see out of, but from what I can tell by the various car review sites, it's worse and is getting soundly trounced by the Mustang.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There will always be better vehicles out there, doesn't make the others less fun to drive. Granted I like driving to start with so that helps :D

16. I’ve put probably 8-900 miles on various newer Camaros and although it’s a fun car I cannot get over the blind spots.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's fun but I was always nervous I was going to hit something - so I never could really relax and enjoy it like I could other cars.

G 97 likes this.
  18. That was exactly how I felt and I’m ok with driving the Jeep with no mirrors, I drive a new kind of rental car about 35-40x a year etc so I’m used to cars new to me. The Camaro blind spot I couldn’t get by. I’m sure if I had more seat time in the zL1 I put about 250 miles on I could get used to it. That’s a fun fun car. Well and the fact it had a new set of rear tires and they don’t care how much abuse the car gets is a plus :)

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I drove one from Vegas to Cali and back, not sure which track but it definitely got better with more miles.

20. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I've owned Corvettes and they don't "feel" as cramped, but you can't see out of them well either compared to a pickup. I loved my 14 1LE Camaro, handled so good for a heavy girl. But then a baby had to go and ruin that.