1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C8 Corvette Reveal

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Jul 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Part of that is protecting the image of the brand.

Busas might have been pretty cool bikes if Suzuki had refused to sell them to people that were going to put stretched swing arms and 330mm tires on them.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And your opinion is that it stopped other people who wanted them from buying them? Do you know for a fact that Suzuki agrees with your calculation?

As for Ford, they sell Fiestas and pick-ups. Gets real about image and shit. They are a generic constructor. What's best for them should probably be not alienating fans by acting like they're not good enough.
    Ferrari's entry-level car is a 600+ HP convertible. They don't have the same target customers.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Papa, how many of their pick up and suv buyers are going to buy the GT? A handful maybe.

The people that are going to buy a GT are the people that buy Ferraris (or get turned down for Ferraris) , Lamborghinis and Mclarens and then there's the speculators. The speculators I'd bet are the ones who would have snapped them all up if Ford hadn't weeded them out.

Do I agree with this shit? Doesn't matter, I'm not their target market. Given powervall money, I'd still not buy much more than a 911, maybe a carrera s.

ducnut likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

When you sell every one you make and have a two year waiting list, you can do pretty much whatever the fuck you want.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Not really following your logic here... they compared the same base truck with 3 different engines, both stock and with the same amount of tuning. How do leap to slapping a turbo on the V8? Makes about as much sense as "what if they added a supercharger, NOS, and drag slicks to the 2.7?"

ducnut likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Research their issues.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Are these eco fords the ones that blow spark plugs out of the head?

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Thought those were the old modular 4.6 and 5.4 engines.

ducnut likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But there isn't one with a stock turbo on the 8, they are comparing stock to stock and stock with a tune to stock with a tune. You could go find 1000hp or more and drop it in there too...

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I haven't heard of any even rumor mill stuff which we do normally get on here pretty quick so what are the issues?

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That depends whether they manage to blow out before the 100,000 mile change interval manages to bond them to the head so that you snap them off trying to get them out.

ducnut likes this.
  12. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

The Harley dealer I worked for in the 90's took that view. They reasoned that they are losing money selling at MSRP, when that person turns around then next day and sells for 20-30% more to a private seller. They wanted that 20-30% more profit. I understand it as a business practice. But looking at it as a buyer, it still seems kinda shitty.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Then buy a Honda. Maybe one day Unicef will get into the motorcycle/car business, but until then............

[​IMG]

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The issue is not the GT. Plenty of douches willing to subject themselves to ridiculous shit just to look cool. It will sell.
    The issue is the regular guy who reads about that shit and buys a Camaro instead of a Mustang because "fuck 'em."

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Both of those cars have such a cult following that they're rarely cross-shopped anyway, but I think your concern is so far down the list that it need not be considered.

It's akin to saying "I'm not going to have sex with Jessica Alba because she's a Patriots fan".

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No...you should not have sex with her because she is carrying the herp which she may or may not have gotten in the back seat of a Mustang or Camaro. :D

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Goddam numbers. I re-read the article three times to make sure I had it right. :crackup:

FWIW, a base C6 is faster than a C5 Z06. Looks like significant progress has been made these last few generations...

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's rich coming from the guy who just said that there are enough people who will not buy Busas because of those who stretched them to impact Suzuki. You don't see the irony here? :D

I said Camaro/Mustang because I don't know the rest of the model range. But you can swap any two models you want in my argument.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was just trying to make a bike analogy with the busa thing. Harley would have been better understood. There's a whole host of people who refuse to ride them (myself included) because we don't want to be associated with those douchebags.

I see your logic, but I really don't think it holds a bit of water in 99.99999% of the buying public's mind.

20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

What about us wankers that work around cars like this and drive them for a living? Because we also think they sound like dog crap.

Steeltoe likes this.