1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a bike on ebay

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Oct 4, 2012.

1. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I'll wire you the money John and you can give him cash and take the bike, haha. A little bit of a hike though huh?

2. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Me: Hi, I'm located in Philadelphia and interested in the bike. Would you be willing to end the auction for $4000. $1000 immediate paypal deposit and the other $3k in cash when I come down to pick it up. I'd plan on flying down taking the bike back on the auto train from Sanford. It's ready to ride right? No mechanical problems? Reliable?

Him: Ok , let close a deal. but do not send me the money via pay pal . Just send me via pay pal 200 us . You can send me a wire transfer for 1800. And them the day that you pick up. Bring me 2000 cash. I'm will send you copy of the tittle. And a biil of sale. Thnks regards. Simon.

Me:I'm not really comfortable leaving that much of a deposit or wiring through the bank to be honest. I can gift it or give you a few extra bucks for the fees if that would make you feel more comfortable. $1k is a pretty big chunk of money to begin with. You can call me at ***-***-****

Him: I'm not really in a hurry to sell the bike, as you like, you can check my feedback. then you better expect bid runs and then we'll talk. Thanks for your interest, I'm always the order. regards
    Simon

Me: I'm not trying to be rude at all. In the listing you only ask for a $400 deposit. I thought $1000 was more than generous and fair under the circumstances.

3. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

It would work but then you have the issue of the title. If you can get that sorted out, I'd go since it's not too far of a drive. If this were closer to the holiday season, I could possibly arrange for a front door delivery :crackup:.

4. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I thought it would be a cool excuse to go to florida in october, haha

5. caferace

caferace No.

Not worth it. Dude can't even spell... :)

-jim

6. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Yea, he uses some weird phrases. Definitely a foreigner of some kind. Hopefully not nigerian, haha. Last thing he said was $400 deposit is fine, but then the price is $4500. Along with some weird phrases and misspellings thrown in...

7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Show me the tittles :D

8. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

my advice: DON'T end the auction early and DO pay the deposit via paypal. both ebay and paypal have measures in place to protect you in the event that somebody tries to screw you. unfortunately i've had to use all of the above as both buyer and seller.

- jim

9. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Yea, screw it... I'll decide over the weekend how bad I want it. If someone else scoops it then oh well.

10. caferace

caferace No.

Good thing you put that space in there. :D

-jim

11. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

It's perfect weather to hang out at Frenchy's and Shephard's :beer:.

12. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Hell yea! I'll be down for spring training 100%. We'll be booking as soon as the schedule comes out. Staying at Shepherds again.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

...RUN!!!

14. Some of the comments he made and the broken English would be enough to turn me away.

At the very least, I would do everything legit through eBay and Paypal.

Have you talked to the guy on the phone?

15. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Yea, same here. I gave him my number. He didn't call...

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

If wire = bank to bank then I don't see a problem. If he's asking you to use Western Union, MoneyGram, etc.....stay clear of him.

I have an app on my phone from Chase that allows me to 'wire transfer' so I don't see it being an issue in these modern times.

Good luck!

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Ask for his number. Also do NOT wire the money. Go paypal or not at all. Paypal almost always sides with the money giver.

Or just say you will be in Florida the day that the auction ends.

Also I would have him send me a copy of the title and bill of sale and also a picture of the current newspaper next to the VIN number.

But also voice your opinions about it. Tell him your suspicions.

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I would only do that if it is a credit card. The banks will tell you to go F yourself. Believe me I know. I have to deal with this shit all the time on fraud cases.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I had to check out the auction and that is a very nice GS for a pretty damn fair price, especially if you get it for 4 grand. I have travelled all over the country to buy cars and bikes that I really wanted. Done all kinds of payments, but lately the way I've gone is to either give a Paypal deposit like he is asking, take the full amount of cash in person, or the latest is to Paypal the full amount (less deposit if one is put down) while you are standing with the guy. Never had one problem on any transaction.

If I would have seen that GS before I bought my RS this past June, I'd have bought it!

And before I do anything I make sure to have a nice, long conversation on the phone with the person I'm buying from. I can usually tell by the tone of the conversation that things will go smooth; or not.

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

If he's that suspicious, why not post up where the bike is located and ask a forum member who lives nearby for a favor to go give it a look?
    Maybe even wire him the money and go pick it up for him?