1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a bike on ebay

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Oct 4, 2012.

1. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I just made a deal with this guy on ebay. He's in Florida. I'm buying the bike for $4k. I offered to paypal him $1k and bring him the rest cash when I get down there to pick it up. He in turn says give him $200 paypal then wire transfer $1800 and give him $2k cash when I get there and he'll email me copies of the title and bill of sale. Am I gonna get screwed for the $1800? I really don't wanna wire transfer that much money...

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't he take cash with a deposit? That's how I bought mine off ebay.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

All this should have been spelled out in the Ebay auction. If it wasn't, $1K is more than enough "good faith" deposit before you see the bike in person.

4. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

It says $400 within 24 hrs, full payment in 7 days. I offered him more because I won't be able to get down there in 7 days.

5. Tristan

Personally, I wouldn't give more than a $200 deposit and would bring cash for the rest.

6. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

How about the wire transfer? Anyone done that before? Dangerous?

7. Tristan

Well, if you bid and won knowing you couldn't meet the terms of the auction...he kinda has the upper hand. $400 seems like plenty to guarantee you'll show up, but at this point you're gonna have to work out something that'll please both of you.

8. Tristan

If he just wants the wire transfer to skirt the Paypal fees, you could Paypal him marked as "gift" with no fees. Either way, he has the $$$, the bike, the title, and you have your fingers crossed.

9. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Where is FL is he? If he is close to me and you need a help with storage or something let me know.

10. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

It says Miami in the ad. I offered him $4k to end it early. His BIN was $4500.

11. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

I would NOT do that (mark as "gift") in this situation or with $400 for anything really. If he screws you, PP will say what-evs. It was a gift, right??!!

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Walk.

The hell with buying bikes on ebay thousands of miles away not in person.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I will be in miami next week. Personally I wouldnt trust ANY sale down there.
    I find it odd he couldnt sell the bike local. Motorcycles dont collect much dust there.

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Send the $400 deposit and pay the rest upon pickup.
    Or, pay full amount in person.

I've bank transferred several times to sellers. I use it as a bargaining/lowball offer tactic.
    Seller wanted $7K, I offered $5K with promise of funds transferred within the hour..SOLD.

Post up his ebay handle.

Have someone living near to him go check out the bike/seller. Pay them $100 for their time.

15. I am glad not everyone thinks like you. If they did, there would be thousands and thousands of legit eBay sellers getting a bad break.

I have bought 4 bikes off eBay (sight unseen) and sold 2 bikes on eBay. The closest of any of those transactions was 550 miles away.

16. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

It's a bmw gs, so I'm not too worried about the squid sport bike factor. If the wire is safe, I will wire him $1k...

17. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

He ended the action early? If so, I'm pretty sure eBay "rules" don't apply anymore. I wouldn't send him any more than the $400 he requested for a deposit. You run the risk of loosing that money and any associated travel costs if you get there and don't get the bike. If you can't get down there in 7 days, so be it. The way I look at it the seller has two options - wait until you get there with the rest of the money OR don't wait and try to sell the bike locally before you get there. Minimize your risk, you have everything to loose.

18. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

He hasn't ended the auction yet. I made him the offer he said yes but wanted $1000 more up front and wire transfer not paypal...

19. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

He's got good seller feedback. Looks like he sold a couple boats on there.

20. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

Still need someone to look at the bike for you? I'd go as long as you're willing to cover my gas expense:beer:.