1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brembo calipers gsxr

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mpp12, Dec 20, 2011.

1. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

whats the 'v'

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Any R6's from 06 on will fit. 04-06 R1's will also work.

I just went to the hardware store and bought a couple of washers to shim it up. On the OEM 310mm rotors on my bike it took 1 1mm and 1 2mm washer to space it just right.

3. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

:beer:

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Year is not important, to make it easy all R6/R1 radial mount 4 piston calipers fit.

5. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

do the gsxr banjo bolts fit the r6 calipers?

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The banjo bolts fit, the only issue is that they screw into the caliper at a 90 angle different. GSXR calipers it screws into the back, R6/R1 it screws into the side. I twisted my GSXR lines to make them work. It's not perfect but it's doable and it's been like that for over a year now with no issues.

7. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

:beer:

8. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Banjos, yes...

Bleeders, no... GSXR bleeders are 7mm Yamaha are 8mm...

Luis

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Or skip all the bullshit and keep it simple, no line changes, no shims, same pads you used before. One thing I've found at the track, keepign stuff simple is a good way to go.

[​IMG]

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The only caveat being there, when I was scouring ebay for calipers, the R6/R1's were far more plentiful and cheaper compared to the K9 and later Tokico monoblocks.

11. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

The K9 are very expensive but they are even lighter than the R1/R6, there was a post on gixxer.com about it.

12. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

I went with the K9's for a few reasons.

Most line kits are too short, the Yamaha's will make this worse.
    I will loose the spacers
    I already have a new set of 355 pads.

In the end the K9's where cheaper.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

My spacers made by Zoran have a interference fit, they're not going anywhere.

Also, if I was gonna keep the TOKICO calipers, I wouldn't have bothered to swap the calipers in the first place. I have no faith in those things.

14. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

How big are the pistons on the 09 GSXR 1000 Tokico monoblocks?

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

According to this

http://www.gsxr-suzuki.eu/gsxr-1000-k9.html

The pistons are 32mm and 30mm, down from 34mm and 30mm on the previous gen 2-piece calipers. R1/R6 are 30mm/27mm

16. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

I take it the locating pins in the r6 calipers have to come out?

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You either have the pull the collars out of the calipers, or out of your fork leg, either or

18. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Both the GSXR fork locating pins, and the R6 caliper locating pins must come out...

When you mount the Calipers in, drive the mounting bolts a little each side so the caliper mounts on evenly... As you tighten the bolts you press the spacers into the R6 calipers...

When you remove the mounting bolts, the the spacers come out with the calipers... And they do not fall out...

:D Luis

19. TWF2

That is case with my spacers since they have pins built in to them.
    But if he is using calipers without spacers or just washer around pin he needs to take stock ones from fork legs out.

20. TWF2

Not exactly, stock ones have to go out. Gsxr pins are bigger in diameter than R6 and don't fit in R6 calipers.