1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brembo calipers gsxr

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mpp12, Dec 20, 2011.

1. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

good point.. may as well upgrade to 320mm rotors from a k1 while your there, add some 10mm spacers to the k9 calipers, throw in a ducati brembo master, galfer pads and speigler lines, a dash of rbf 600, and your good to go.... past the bike 150ft after it stops!

i wish....lol

cheers.joe.

2. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

It's strange my '04 already has 320mm rotors but the calipers look stock, well except they are black. But I moved rotors over from my '00 750 and all fits up fine. Maybe I can just throw the '09 Tokicos on with spacers then.

Already has 18x19 brembo, carbon carrier wave braking rotors, RBF 600 and SS lines. Tired of how the Vesrah SRJL pads dust and figured I'd cange calipers when changing pads this time.

3. Tractionless

What calipers are in the attached pic? Ad says '09 1k but they differ from the ones in post 67 pics.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  4. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Those are 08+ CBR1000RR Monoblocks. They use a different pad and from what I hear they are slightly heavier than 09+ GSXR 1000 monoblocks.

5. Tractionless

:beer: Thanks, glad I didn't bite on the misprint!

6. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

The pads on the gsxr 1000 04-08 are diferent from the 09-11.

I put the 11 calipers on my bike stock pads, came from R1s with versahs.....
    I was thinking of using a set of SBS pads I have on the shelf and decided not since the stock pads have lots of life.

And love the brake power and modulation, they are incredibly better than anything I have used....

Rode the new zx10r, that uses tokiko also, and brakes are same power more less fell, its like they are more abrupt...

7. Tractionless

Great info. I currently run the stock '04 750 calipers with SRJL-17 pads and the intial power is overwhelming, but more on-off than I'd like, not to mention they dust BAD! I figured I'd change calipers when its time to change pads. Think I'm leaning toward the SRJL-XX's but need to do some more research.

I love the OEM Brembo pads in my 1098 and after 2 sessions a month ago there was 95% less dust than with the Vesrah's. The pads through Ducati or in the $330 range and for the GSXR in the aftermarket $260'ish, so I'm still undecided. I know I want something with good initial bite that won't crap out as they get hotter.

8. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Every application guide list the same pad for late radial gsxr tokicos. I put them in mine.

9. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Alocker this is for the stock ones suzuki....

Traccion less... just put the new tokiko calipers with stock pads.... for me they are excelent...75usd each caliper

Rode a 1098, excelent brakes also.

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Did you try Galfer 1300?

11. Tractionless

Thanks, worth a try I guess. Ya I love the 1098 brakes and can't figure out why anyone installs other MC's on them. The only upgrades I have to them is floating buttons on the stock rotors and ATE blue brake fluid. I also have aftermarket lines but only to make tire changes easier without the double banjo at the rt. caliper. Being the 1098 comes with SS lines it's not really an upgrade though. The combo. hauls it down just as good as my race bike with Brembo 18x19, lines, RBF600, floating-carbon carriered- 320mm wave rotors, magnesium wheels, and SRJL-17 pads.

Now I just have to hunt down the '09+ calipers, only thing I'm finding is on ebay for $230 which I guess may be decent considering just the OEM pads are $150 a set.

Is that a pad type?

12. TWF2

Their race compound.

13. mike27

mike27 Mike

I am having a caliper problem on my 04 gixxer 750. Just added the Brembo RCS and there is still too much play in the lever. Just heard about the option of swapping my stock calipers with R6 calipers. So, what year R6 calipers will work and what else do I need to make this work? Spacers, etc. Thanks

14. TWF2

You need 320 rotors with spacers or you will have to cut calipers to work with stock 300 rotors.

15. mike27

mike27 Mike

Sorry, I'm dumb. :( What do you mean cut the calipers? Do you mean shave down the bottom of where they bolt to the forks?

16. TWF2

17. mike27

mike27 Mike

How much do you have to cut down?

18. TWF2

~8 mm

19. Syd

Syd Utah SBA Club Secretary

Since Galfer 1300 compound was mentioned I thought I would share my experience with them.

My first season on my 2006 gsxr 750 I used the galfer 1375 pads and I experienced all the same issues poeple complain about. After about 3 or 4 laps my brake lever had way too much travel and by the end of a sprint I was getting concerned. After switching to the Galfer 1300 pads I have never had that problem again. The brakes will still feel good after 20 laps in an endurance race.

20. Tractionless

Do the 1300's take a long time to come in to operating range? I'm probably much slower than most and experienced wooden feeling from SBS dual carbons as I could never get enough heat in them to work.

The fact that the Vesrah SRJL-17's work very well in low heat ranges (as well as high) is the primary reason I've stuck with them for so long. The dust is just getting on my nerves lately. Damn fork legs where the seal rides keeps getting crapped up seems to be causing seal leaks. Not to mention cleaning Marchesini wheels isn't very fun.

Like I said above the stock Brembo pads on my 1098 work just as well as the SRJL-17's but deposit almost no dust.