1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best bang for the buck or best deals out now for a truck

Discussion in 'General' started by Lavana, Jun 13, 2018.

1. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

They are far more motivated to discount the 6.4L Hemi because the mileage is so awful. Look at the used market for those, they are all over the place and relatively cheap when compared to the diesels. Most people can't stomach 16 mpg unloaded hwy mileage for very long.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Anyone buying a full size pickup and then bitching about its fuel mileage bought the wrong vehicle.

Razr, crashman, code3ryder and 2 others like this.
  3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Right on. I get like 7 mpg with my V10. 16 would be awesome

Gino230 likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My V10 gets plenty of smiles per gallon. I stopped worrying about what it gets in miles per gallon.

5. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Agreed, they should've bought the diesel but didn't want to pay the $9k premium for glow plugs.

6. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

You can get a Chevy or Ford Crew Cab, 2wd, V8 pickup for $30k. Cloth seats but so what. That really is a lot of truck for the money. Just because you CAN spend $55k on a new 1/2 ton doesn't mean you have to or should.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Better than I get in the Ho right now... :D

8. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Not a pickup, but my new project....2015 Explorer 115k, Ex CHP - $1650.

Attached Files:

ungwaha likes this.
  9. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Laramie 4x4. 16 highway and towing I get 9-10.

The truck I traded in a 2010 f150 limited 2wd was 16 unloaded and 6-7 mpg with the 5.4l

Both towing MPG towing the same toyhauler except with my Z125 extra wheels more tools my family now comes with and all there crap so another 1000 pounds give or take.

Towed the same toyhauler unloaded with a 2013 f250 4wd once in between buying trucks and I got 11-12

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Its not like the diesels are knocking it out of the park for mileage either...

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Valid observation, but I doubt people that appreciate their hauling capability have a use for a gasser. They prolly tune their diesels, too, getting upwards of another 4mpg.

12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Had a PIU. message me if you need help "depolicing it"

I ended up putting leather seats from a flex and a center console from a civvie explorer.

khill likes this.
  13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Bite your tongue! I realize the EcoDiesel may not be as popular as it's Cummins cousin but that bad boy gets me easily, 26mpg highway and roughly 12-13mpg when towing my 16' enclosed v-nose trailer (oddly enough, it doesn't matter if the trailer is empty or loaded) and anywhere from 19-22 combined.

As for truck deals, I just saw GMC offering something like $13500 off their new trucks. If you're also open to buying used just be sure to do your research first, back when I was looking 1 or 2 yr old trucks were priced higher than my brand new truck wound up costing me with all the factory discounts and I managed to get another 1500 knocked off the price when they found out I had visited another dealer.

14. Price of trucks is high for sure, I work as the General sales manager for Hamby Automotive in Perry, GA. If you ever see anything that interest you let me know, will be glad to price one out.
    Right now GMC SLT crew cabs have great deal going through the end of the month.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Is that really good though? I have a friend with a pre emissions lifted big tire diesel Ford Excursion that gets around 26MPG highway by itself and about 22MPG towing a trailer. Surely we should be able to do better than that with the new vehicles but my work truck (F350 with a Powerchoke) struggles to hit 20MPG downhill with a tailwind and when the system goes in to regen it gets about 3 MPG. No skin off my nose as I do not pay for fuel but I certainly would not buy one.
    IMO the baby diesels should easily get over 30. But I guess it is job security. :D

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Well, when compared to it's competition I think it's better than the rest, at this point anyway. I KNOW it destroyed my Honda Pilot, which struggled to get 17mpg highway, roughly 13mpg City. Chevy offers a diesel in their Colorado that doesn't match what my full size truck gets so yea I'm happy so far with it. Mind you, it's completely stock, at the moment, since I don't want to risk voiding out my warranty I might entertain one of those reworked ECU's to see if I can improve on that mileage.

17. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

My 2017 ram 2500 with a Cummins and a 6speed will get 18-19 highway and I get between 12 and 15 towing my 7x16 enclosed. Just depends if I'm going over lots of hills or flat ground.

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Fair enough. They should all be getting better mileage but that conversation will likely get someone a ban hammer in the face if we discuss it in General...:D

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I've had my '15 F-150 XLT crew cab, 2WD w/3.55 rear end and 5L V8 since new.

I'm amazed at how much more efficient this truck is than my '05 F150 w/ 5.4L it replaced.

On the same driving cycle, where the old truck did 16mpg the new one has averaged 20.3. On long highway trips, it will easily do 23-24mpg while cruising at 70mph.

Towing my 8.5x20 toy hauler, it will get from 8-10mpg, but with a good tailwind or keeping it under 60mph can get 11-12.

I'd be really interested to see how the new light-duty Powerstroke coming out right about now would do in those same scenarios, but right now the price/performance benefit is way too far off for me to consider an upgrade......

20. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Ended up with a used one.

I went to gmc. The discounts are a joke; I qualified for one of them for $1000 off.