1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best bang for the buck or best deals out now for a truck

Discussion in 'General' started by Lavana, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I think "purchase" is a strong word. Most vehicles are being financed for 7-8 years and traded in for the next shiny object without ever paying anything off.

crashman likes this.
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Low interest rates and 84 month terms

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I wonder what percentages banks are allowing people to finance over the sale price of the car?

This is a huge bubble and is in no way sustainable. Cars just aren’t worth what people are paying for them.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well as high as prices are that makes sense. Our last kid just graduated college, and Mama said she would wait until that happened, before getting a new car. We thought she was going to get a Tesla, for car pool lane availability on her commute. Well after driving one, she decided they are no fun. She likes sportier cars, wants to hear the engine, etc. She ended up buying a C43 AMG, with a nice interior and other goodies. The payment is approximately $1300 for 5 years, I think a lease is around half that, so you can make an extremely good argument for leasing. However, we tend to drive more than 12k miles a year out here, plus if she likes it, and it doesn't have typical German electrical issues, we will keep it for more than four years.

Now instead of putting a kid through college, we are paying to put a car through college. Our first house payment in California was less. I know, "get off my lawn". :crackup:

motion likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

In our case, we could have financed the entire transaction, including the sales tax. They didn't offer 120% financing or anything crazy like that.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The mere thought of a $1300 a month car payment makes me slightly queasy. I don't car if the car has a automated masturbation device that will pleasure me while I drive if the dealer even mentioned a $1300 car payment that would be the end of that.

418, Str8-Lurkin, R1Racer99 and 2 others like this.
  7. Boman Forklift

I don't disagree, I would have loved something less expensive, but she has wanted a nice car forever and makes good money now. A new Tesla, would have been much more, but we didn't get that far, the used ones we were looking at were more money versus her car new.

My most expensive new car I've purchased prior to this, was a new M3 when they first came out again in 1993 and it was $38K plus tax.

EDIT...just remembered I bought a used Viper in 99 and I think that was around 50.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is more than I pay for my house. Damn near what the RV payment is.

9. Boman Forklift

Yes, it is more than any other house payment I've had in my life, except my current house. I bet your RV payment was over 20 years though.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, 20 for the RV, house was originally 30 but last refi was 15 so we're paid off in another 6.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

We do some 84 month loans, but I'd say 60 and 72 are still the norm. I don't think there's a bubble of any kind. Economy is as strong as its ever been, consumer confidence is high, stock market is high. Folks are doing fine with their auto loans. Y'all make it always sound so doom and gloom, but everyone's situation is different.

12. Venom51

Isn't that what they all say while claiming there is no bubble...right before it pops?

Jesse likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Who is buying all these $50-60-70k+ vehicles? It seems like EVERYTHING worth driving is over $40k. A 60 month loan on a $40k vehicle is $700/mo. On a new $60k SUV that jumps to over $1000/mo. That's nuts.

G2G, SpeedyTide and sharkattack like this.
  14. Venom51

People who can't do math and have no concept of depreciation....?

crashman likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same people spending half a million on a 4 bedroom mcmansion when they have one kid...

16. Venom51

What if your McMansion has 5 and zero kids...and you payed less than a half million?

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Still, I make decent money and while I could buy something like that, it would be the ONLY thing I could buy, ever. I make almost double the median income in my area and I wouldn't dream of spending 70k on a truck or 500k on a house. Yet I see them rolling around EVERYWHERE.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A friend of mine was telling me about his woman client who would not drive ANYTHING but a BMW. Of course she didn't get to drive them much because it seemed they were in the shop for warranty repairs. Anyway...he secretly replaced her Bimmer with a loaded Kia sedan blacking out the badging inside & out. Guess it took her a few weeks to warm up to it... eventually she fell in love with it to the point she wont drive anything else! :D

19. Venom51

Me either but I have a wife that just had to have a McMansion. I was perfectly happy with the 2600 sq ft. I built. I pointed out to her while we were paying off the last 145k on this one that her other house would have been paid off for more than a decade and she'd have another large chunk of money in the bank. Of course we are typical guys and point out the $1300 a month car payment we would never make whle having previously spent about 2k a month racing for wooden trophies and bragging rights. We are idiots. :D

Gino230 likes this.
  20. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I hear ya! Truth be told, I just bought a 2007 Mazda 3 iTouring for my son; $4300. Original owner and receipts for EVERYTHING. I love that little car. I'd be happy driving it. I don't really care what I drive. I'd rather spend the money on bikes and woodworking tools. No matter what my income is, I just can't justify spending $50-60K for a vehicle that has 4 wheels.

418 likes this.