1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beef Jerky is dead

Discussion in 'General' started by BHP41, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

That's why I hate most all store bought jerky, it's always too wet. I like it dried and tough, and want to stick a couple chunk in my pockets to chew on while I'm out fishing.

BHP41 likes this.
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How about on low temp in a smoker?

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That’s more trouble than it’s worth, IMO.

You can get this from Amazon for like 60 bucks (it comes with five trays - I’ve added on the other twelve). Handles 10-12 pounds of ground beef (I’ve cut up beef and chicken and pork but that’s too much work - ground beef is where it’s at).

upload_2019-6-24_6-10-59.jpeg

4. Dan Dubeau

Never tried it in the smoker, but I'm sure it would turn out great. Just a bit more babysitting depending on the smoker. Mines just too big and not very controllable to give it a try. Lots of people do it in the oven right on the racks too. About 150* and prop the door open a bit.

I put the dehydrator on before I go to bed, and wake up with finished jerky. I've had mine for over 12 years now, and paid ~$50 for it. It's way more than paid for itself. I use it for lots of other stuff too, like tomatoes, peppers, berries and fruit. For a cheap kitchen appliance I'm honestly surprised it's still working after all these years but it's pretty simple. Just a small heating element a fan and a switch. I've seen people make them with a cardboard box, a computer fan, and a light bulb.

TheGrouchyCat and K51000 like this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I've never heard of dried ground beef? Whats the texture when it's done? How does the fat in the ground beef end up when you're done?

6. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Works good. I make jerky on my pellet pooper which will hold at 180 degrees. You need to babysit it because of the normal hotspots in a smoker but it’s not too bad. I only use whole muscle for jerky, IMHO jerky that’s made from ground meat is nasty AF

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Venison Habernaro Jerky FTW... Smoked not dried...

TheGrouchyCat and K51000 like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This just made me realize that I never had jerky that came in the back with a name on it or any kind of markings. Not even once. I have a friend who had a source in Pennsylvania. Haven't had jerky since. Damn, it's been a while.

R Acree likes this.
  9. SuddenBraking

It's delicious - I shoot it through a gun called "the judge" and it works out great. This last batch I made is damn near too spicy to eat - through about 100 habaneros into the batch (usually do 50-75ish) and it's been lighting people up.

upload_2019-6-24_10-30-12.png

10. Dan Dubeau

I see your venny jerky, and raise you goose jerky (any flavour). About the only they're good for.

K51000 and TLR67 like this.
  11. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

K51000 likes this.
  12. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

My favorite commercial jerky is by Robert's Ham. They have stores in TX and OK. Ingredients are meat, pepper, salt..... Dried completely, but thin cut. If you bend it, it will crack.

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Best goose recipe out there ... throw it in a pot with boiling water and an old leather shoe. After an hour, throw away the goose and eat the shoe. It’ll taste better. :D

14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

What a bunch of jerky princesses! All jerky is good, some is better. Stop your whining and just eat it.

Funkm05 and R Acree like this.
  15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Send some this way and I will review it.

16. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You would. LOL.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Gun shows usually have a lot of jerky for sale.

18. SuddenBraking

PM me your address and I’ll send some your way. It’s spicy as fuck, though.

19. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

They have Buc ees other places. I've been to Buc ees other places it seems?
    Looks like they are all in TX, and I've been to most of those:
    https://buc-ees.com/locations.php