1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beef Jerky is dead

Discussion in 'General' started by BHP41, Jun 23, 2019.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Why is it so hard to find good beef jerky? All you can get, even at these “beef jerky stores” is that fake mush they label beef jerky.

Jerky needs to be dried. If it’s soft like a GD SlimJim stick for .69 at the Kwiki Mart, that’s not beef jerky.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I disagree. I don't like my jerky to be like leather. I cut mine across the grain and about 1/4" thick.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

Vermont jerky company ships. Yum.

Try your local farmers markets.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Local meat market here makes great jerky.

5. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Jerky isn’t and will never be dead. In point of fact it’s alive and well and preferably starts life as something you’ve dragged out of the woods.

969 likes this.
  6. BHP41

Is it dried or like that BS they sell in stores nowadays?

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It is dried, but not paper thin making it like shoe leather, so it is chewy

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I hope it's dead! I like my steak rare, but not that rare :D

9. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

10. BHP41

That’s okay. Is it stringy when you pull it?

11. BHP41

I need more than a website. I do appreciate the link but will need a Beeb review.

Is the texture like that of jerky you get in the 7/11 or more like Josey Wales?

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Get a dehydrator and make your own. It couldn't be simpler. Just slice up some meat and put it in a marinade over night. You can make it as chewy or dried as you want, in any flavour you can imagine. I like mine dry and the pic has a teryaki, original recipe, and buffalo wing sauce I mad a couple months ago for a fishing trip. Started as 18lbs of eye of round roasts (6). The wing sauce one was the first time trying it, but it was awesome. Can't wait to make it again.
    [​IMG]

13. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

I was able to eat Katie's jerky when she was just getting the business going about 4-5 years ago - she was bringing her daughter to Blues jams to sing. I liked her jerky then. Think Jack Links before they sold out - nice thickness, and enough moistness. She had a couple of flavors then, which seems to have grown to several now. She has a welding engineering degree from OSU so her foray into this is born from passion. How it is today, I cannot tell you, I have not seen her in at least 2 years. But I should buy some myself online.

14. This is more information than anyone needed :eek:

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

You are welcome....

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  16. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Was it that much better before? Jack Links is the only store bought jerky I can stand to eat.

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

18. :stupid:

There is only one kind I like. I can’t remember the name, but the name is in a large orange stripe around the top.

I like it because it is tender. At least most of it is. About 1/3rd of the bag will be harder; I eat the soft ones and shitcan the rest.

19. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

don't try wild joes. yuk! i'm in the minority with a few of you guys. I hate hard tough jerky. I want it soft and chewy.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I agree with your disagreement. I prefer it to be slightly moist and have some chew to it. If its dried up like leather me no likey. Just like I don't like an overcooked steak.