1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beef Jerky is dead

Discussion in 'General' started by BHP41, Jun 23, 2019.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Curing salt? Or a marinade?

2. speedluvn

Do you regularly prepare jerky in it? Do you have to rotate the trays with your model?

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yes and yes, but the second yes is mainly because of the fact that I've added so many damn trays. Out of the box at five trays, there wasn't a ton of variation from the top to the bottom. It's only "supposed" to be rated for 13 trays, but I like to live dangerously.

speedluvn likes this.
  4. SuddenBraking

Almost all recipes that I've tried use soy sauce as the primary ingredient - it serves the same purpose.

YamahaRick likes this.
  5. speedluvn

Yeah I’m struggling to cut my salt intake. So I would probably consume more dehydrated meats and fish. I don’t want all that extra salt

6. SuddenBraking

If you google "low sodium beef jerky recipe", you get about a half million hits. The salt (IMHO, but I'm certainly no expert) is more needed for people who make jerky and want to store it for long periods of time at room temperature. My jerky is all consumed within a week of making it (and stored in the fridge), so the curing/salt process isn't needed.

river rat likes this.
  7. speedluvn

That’s what I’ve been reading. I was also attempting to locate a starting point with the beebers here with what they have tried and liked with low salt alternatives.

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I have made plain, no marinade, just beef, jerky before. It was "ok", wouldn't make it again, but it was edible.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and a splash of maple syrup. Or a mix of Worcestershire and low sodium soy.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've done it with eastern NC style BBQ sauce and it was pretty damn good.

YamahaRick likes this.
  11. speedluvn

Thanks for the reference point :beer:

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My friend in Canada sent me pic of jerky they sell. Not those little strips in a bag we get here but a fkn slab the size of your chest. Said they have beef, elk, deer, moose, bear...

Fk. Canada ain't so bad.

13. SuddenBraking

I've been really into chicken jerky lately.

90% as good (not going to pretend like beef jerky isn't marginally better) for 20% of the hassle (can cut up 20 pounds of chicken in 20 minutes).

I'm currently eating a habanero teriyaki batch that came out fantastic.

14. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Grew up eating landjaegers - not jerky but everything slimjims and soft jerky want to be.

renegade17 and Phl218 like this.
  15. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Nice to know 'cause I"ll be making jerky soon. Is that called 'jerk'n'? LOL. I like jerky b/c high protein/lower carb.

I did a little research lately. I'm just using my oven. It's gas anyways.
    Then I realized, not only is it convection oven- like a turbo, but it has a 'dehydrate setting too!!

[​IMG]

So OP, Jerky ain't dead!

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Curing salt is not the same as salt-cured. Soy sauce typically does not have sodium nitrite/nitrate.
    Most recipes for beef jerky do not use curing salt.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

TMI! TMI! :crackup:

18. SuddenBraking

[​IMG]

19. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

This thread, as a chef is making my head spin with all the wrong answers and clueless advice over 5 pages. It's just dried meat

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Back home there was an ancient german hillbilly that made that. Pricey and a tough dude to deal with but worth it.