1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backyard Dirt Tracks

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Jul 12, 2017.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sometime in the next 2-3 years we intend on buying some land and building a house. I'm almost certainly going to build some sort of dirt track for personal use. I know some of you already have setups. Lets see some pics and hear some ideas for what to do and not do.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Build the layout on flat ground, then pave it.

Banditracer likes this.
  3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Build the house way off the road, lay out the driveway with some s-turns, pave it with a circle at each end, instant Grom track.

Wade Parish and Banditracer like this.
  4. dtalbott

If the land had any clay in the soil, you could do a flattrack oval and race Groms.

5. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Contact Jason Baker of Dream Traxx

6. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

With a rented dozen and a weekend I built this 1.1 mile practice track when I was racing dirt. I think it cost me $750 for the weekend.

Wade Parish likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm thinking I'd like to build something more like they use at Colin Edwards' camp or cornerspin, or like Rossi's ranch. Not an MX track, but a dirt practice track to improve roadracing skills.

8. dtalbott

Does it need to be built or just lay out cones and start riding until the basic layout is set?

Wade Parish and BrianC636 like this.
  9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Subscribed for sure. I was actually researching how much it would cost to build a kart track for racing minis a couple weeks ago..........

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I figure it'll take a little bit of dirt work to smooth out, remove any big rocks, get rid of things like trees in impact zones, and so on. But otherwise it would follow the flow of the terrain.

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hey a tractor, a sheep's foot, a road grader and some pea gravel, and have at it!

12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I cut in a little oval in the field behind my house every fall when the crops come off. Straights are probably 75ft long, 8ft wide and total track width is 35ish feet. Small Kubota tractor with a scraper blade to get rid of the crop debris and level everything off then i take an old piece of fence loaded down with cider blocks and drag, drag, drag and try to run it in with the truck if its not too soft. I prefer to let it get rained on before we ride it but sometimes we just gotta settle the bench racing as soon as its done. Get it flat and drag it is the best advice I can give you. On a decent day we will get a little dust buildup on the top and thats when the sliding, crashing, and laughing begins. Knobby front tires with Bt045 rears on Honda 100s or TTR 125s followed by ibuprofen.

Attached Files:

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Why didn't you bring that over to my house??

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

If the weather cooperates I will give you a shot at the title this year, two men enter, one man leaves.

5axis and Wade Parish like this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Rossi's track

[​IMG]

Wade Parish likes this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You will need gapman789 cash for something like that. :D

scottn, BigBird, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

No paving, dirt track for small bikes will teach you more.

XFBO likes this.
  18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Let me know when you're ready. Fly me there, give me food and drink for a weekend and get the equipment and I'll build you a GNC quality track for Minis.

XFBO, BigBird and ekraft84 like this.
  19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What's the minimum amount of land and what's the ideal amount of land?

20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Depends on how big you want. I've got an 1/8 Dirt Track and 9 acres and the track takes up 1-2 acres but generally think of a high school running track for size comparison.

Obviously you don't need a 1/2 mile track for Minis.

I have a track behind my house I built long at and it was an exact replica of Daytona short track. My guide land is 3 acres and that trac took up 2