1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backyard Dirt Tracks

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Jul 12, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Where the F do you folks live? I'll just create a mile long track in my backyard :eek::bow:

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Cmon Powerball!

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You guys are welcome to say Missouri sucks, but it's easy to find 20+ acres for sale within 30 minutes of a decent sized city, and for a reasonable price if you're not planning on building a mcmansion on it.

stk0308 likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Oh wait...you said Missouri..I think I'm ok where I am then :D

G 97 likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You don't know what you're missing!

BigBird likes this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

You live in NYC right? head north and there's all kinds of areas that could have a backyard track.
    A guy near me has this in his backyard
    pic.jpg

XFBO, Phl218, masshole and 1 other person like this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

wow. just getting to the house you can clip some apexes...

8. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Robby-Bobby. Thanks for sharing the info! I just bought a tractor with a FEL and a rear blade...i will be picking up a box blade too in the spring. I was hoping to build a small flat track like the one Herrin had next spring. I would like to do a road course section that ties into it also. The soil here in SE WI is VERY sandy. I have a flat 8 acre hay field and a large creek in the back. I was going to get some sort of a water tank trailer and use a gas water pump to fill it....pretty much unlimited access to water. Will the sand allow me to create a decent track? or should I look into trucking in clay.? My neighbor is an excavator/landscaper and offered to help with the grading and trucking if needed. I would guess that trucking in clay could get expensive pretty quickly.

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Depends. The sand is fun and will give you a cushion type track but it will get rough quickly.

I'd suggest making a chain fence drag on the cheap. That'll smooth it out and easy as pulling it behind a truck tractor or quad depending how big you make it.

Those types of tracks teach great front end steering as it's always pushing you you gotta learn to control front wheel tucks and slides.

If you're wanting a more consistent and hard surface, clay is the way to go. It'll pack and after a while you'll form a "blue groove"

However, to rework the clay you'll need lots of water and good equipment.

Kinda just depends on your needs and the equipment you plan to keep.

10. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Cool thanks. I'll just start with what is there and see how it goes. Maybe I will tell my neighbor to watch for someone looking to get rid of clay fill on a project.....might be able to get it for free if I don't have a timeline.

11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Ryan make sure you invite us locals when you get it set up :cool:

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Invite me too!! I love wrecking people on 100's

13. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

The more the merrier!

G2G likes this.
  14. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Track 2.0 will be ready if the snow and rain ever stop long enough to dry out a bit so i can get the drag back out. track.jpg

Ryan79 and eggfooyoung like this.
  15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

This is what I'm thinking. Not too big. A key hole or two, some off camber. Huge giggle factor.

16. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Its a non stop circus with a few bikes out there. Last year two bikes went for the same line and one guy end up getting pulled about 20ft with his leg stuck between the muffler and the rear wheel of the other bike until it pulled his leg in far enough to stall the bike. I had never been paralyzed by fear and laughter at the same time until then.

G2G and Ryan79 like this.
  17. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a good picture of their drag? I am curious how to build a good one.

Speaking of 100s. That is what I plan to run at my track. Do they handle better with the 19" or 16" front? I have to buy another set of rims anyway....so it wont be saving me any coin to stick with the 19". I plan to incorporate a road course section that ties into the oval. I was going to just run a knobby front and one of my BT45s on the rear. I have one set of rims with BT 45s (16" front and rear), a set of rims with ice tires (19" front and 16" rear).....I just plan to build a set of dirt wheels and I should have every combo i need.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Is that in the middle of a soybean field ?

19. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

what do you think of roughly this dimension? maybe a little slower track is better? This is about the size I imagined......but the whole point is to get better road race skills....I do not plant to ever race flat track

20. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Would it be crazy to think you could build a small ice oval inside the dirt one for winter? scrape off ~4 inches of top soil...throw down a rubber liner.....pump water from the creek into it...its only about 200' from where the track will be.