1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby toy haulers. Yay or nay

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Feb 20, 2020.

1. 713

713 Well-Known Member

2. Pete Busch

Pete Busch Active Member

Were looking at getting a toy hauler trailer and want something small for a number of reasons and was thinking about a Falcon F23 TH, here is the site. https://www.travelliterv.com/come-and-see-our-models-of--Falcon. Other than being small is there any reason to not get one or is there something better that's about the same size? I was going to do a cargo trailer conversion but honestly don't feel like it and it looks like it will cost about the same anyways.
    This will be pulled by a Toyota Tundra or even my Tacoma if it will do it. I want it small so it will fit next to my house, easy to pull at fast freeway speeds, and just don't really need all that space because my wife and I won't be in it too much other than to sleep.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

may want to check the tires load & speed rating prior to motoring at highway speeds.

4. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

That Falcon looks pretty cool! Super light. Shouldn't be any problem for the Tundra. With gvwr over 7,000 I would assume it's got D rated tires? Did not see specifically on their website. Just said it had 18" wheels which seems unusual to me

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've given up on large or 5th wheel toy haulers and started looking smaller...still can't find what I'm looking for. :crackup::rolleyes:

Travel Lite RV's AURA A-23TH is, as far as I can tell, the same thing as the Falcon. Differences are some of the standard features, packages and individual options. Could be worth a look...

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Only problem with trailers designed like that is that huge, sloping leading edge.

They do it in the name of aero (though debatable), however most don't factor in what it does to your tongue weight. At 65mph, that trailer is probably putting an additional 400-500 lbs. of additional weight on the tongue compared to stationary.

With something like a Tundra where you are already likely skirting the payload/axle capacities when loaded up (even with a good WD hitch), that can make for some difficulties in finding a good baseline setup at best, and handling issues at worst.

7. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Good point. What about once you put a bike in the back of the trailer though? Won't that lessen the tongue weight some? I weighed mine and it was more than I expected.... I think 550 pounds without the bike in it. I don't use a WD hitch and haven't had a problem. Never weighed it with the bike in it though

8. NemesisR6

Most bumper-pull trailers are set up to put 10-15% of the overall, distributed weight on the tongue. Toy haulers are typically on the higher end of that spectrum due to the fact that they are often loaded with heavier objects behind the axles (motorcycles, atvs, sxs's and the like).

Putting something like a 400lb motorcycle isn't going to change the tongue weight much. I've never tried to measure it in my 8.5x20 toy hauler, but I wouldn't expect much. Completely empty and without anything in the water/waste tanks, I think my tongue weight is right around 650-700lbs. Fully loaded up with a full tank of fresh water, bike, gear, etc. and I'm probably around 900 lbs. My max rating tongue weight (with WD hitch) is 1,000 lbs. on my 2015 F150.

[​IMG]

Lawdog78 likes this.
  9. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Do you have pictures of your setup inside? Looks SO clean

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

how do you get around tight turns with the trailer axles being so far apart? does it tow better in a straight line?

11. NemesisR6

Never had an issue at all. It scrubs a little bit more, but the trailer is only 7,000 lbs fully loaded to the gills.

Trailer is rock solid down the road. Never have any issues with sway, but at this length with a good WD hitch I wouldn't expect it to, either.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. NemesisR6

These are old back for when I got it 3 years ago, but the "clean" and "minimalist" aspect is one of the big reasons I went with it......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....and this is how I made a custom plate to utilize the pit-bull hardware with the existing l-track:

[​IMG]
    IMG_1335 (1).jpg

IMG_1874 (2).jpg

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Nice set up. If I ever have space to park a 20' toy hauler many of the ones with the Kitchen / Bath up front are no good for my Touareg TDI. 700 lb tongue weight max (rated to tow 7700lb).
    The ones like that Falcon with mid bath/kitchen have less tongue weight, but interesting point about the Aero. But keep in mind wedges are not nearly as good as a properly shaped wing or ground effects at creating downforce. If the air over the top of the trailer isn't moving significantly faster than the air underneath, you won't get much downforce at 65 mph. In fact that shape might actually slow down the air over the top and create some lift.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You may have that backwards. The Bernoulli effect says that the faster air will cause a low pressure and hence a lift effect.....ie the way a wing works to lift a plane.

16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Thank you for the correction. I still doubt it creates a significant amount of downforce or lift.

17. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

18. NemesisR6

That trailer in the link is absurd if they're really charging $25K for an aluminum 7x16 box trailer with a few amenities.

My 8.5x20 wasn't much more and it has a full, usable bathroom, 100/50/50 fresh/black/grey tanks, full kitchen/stove/microwave. Plus it is top-to-bottom aluminum, including the flooring, not just an aluminum frame with wood floor.

I'm sure they have wiggle room with pricing (as all trailers/rv's do), but their starting asking price is shocking, TBH.

19. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Interesting to hear you say that, I found the pricing of that unit pretty comparable with Intech and ATC trailers of similar size/amenities. Obviously those manufacturers are on the higher end of aluminum trailers as far as pricing goes though.

For what it's worth I believe it's all aluminum considering the empty weight is about 2500lbs. I have a towing capacity of 4000 lbs and need to be able to pull my 1200lb Morgan, so weight is a huge sticking point for me.

What brand is your trailer? For that level of amenities and size I'm definitely intrigued!

20. Pete Busch

Pete Busch Active Member

Ok guys after re thinking this for the 1000th time I decided I don't want to buy an actual toy hauler and want to convert a trailer, or at least buy one converted. We really don't need the bathroom and definitely don't want a kitchen or HUGE fridge. We will never cook food in this thing and actually like grilling outside, our fridge can be just a cooler with ice. All those things take up room and add weight.
    Who can guide me to a trailer dealer that does this? I'm working with a local trailer dealer right now and will see what they come up with but just wanted to know where else to look.