1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby toy haulers. Yay or nay

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Feb 20, 2020.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you guys doing DIY toy haulers dont want to add full bathroom plumbing...look at "cassette toilets" They use them on some marine applications. A small port a potty with a removable (closed when you pull it out) cassette to the dump down a normal sewer. Easier than pulling out the whole port a potty to empty.

2. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

The Toyota Tacoma can tow up to 6,800 pounds, and the tongue load is 640 pounds

3. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

So with the dry trailer weight(no batteries, no propane, not a single thing set inside by you) you have 65lbs of payload left because the dry hitch weight is 575lbs. That's 65lbs left for your own bodyweight and whatever else you put in the truck. A good weight distribution hitch will weigh close to 65lbs on its own.

I'm far from the payload police as I was definitely over while using my Ram 1500 last year but I was probably 200-300lbs over on a truck with almost 1400lbs of payload. You will definitely be well over your 640lbs payload but it's up to you how comfortable you are with that.

My biggest concern for you as I and MotoGP69 said before is the physical size of that trailer is just too much for a Tacoma. Its going to push that small light truck around. Your tow capacity might be 6800lbs but 6800lbs of flat bed trailer is going to behave much differently than 6800lbs of giant rolling windsail.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If I were to ever downsize from our modestly capable (by today's standards) 1-ton dually to a midsize pickup, which I have considered doing, it would more than likely be for the 'Taco.
    At that rate, my hauling expectations would also downsize. (Sometimes the obvious has to be stated.)
    IMO, regardless of tow capacity, maxing out a TV (tow vehicle) is just too stressful for the driver and the TV. I can't see myself putting more than 4500lbs behind a 'Taco let alone having to use a WD hitch. ~3500lbs is the average trailer weight I envision for my usual hook-ups.

Our Grand Cherokee has a tow capacity of 7500lbs w/ a WD hitch, but it also has a length restriction of 26' for the trailer.
    Our 30' camper weighs 6500lbs, give or take, and I don't like hauling that behind our dually. It does it just fine...on the flats. Start hittin' hilly backroads and its an exponential load of stress. No frickin' way I'd hook that trailer up to the Cherokee, and it ain't cuz of the extra four feet!

I once hauled over 4000lbs in our dually's bed, that's still under max. If my trip contained any more than the few hills I came across while chuggin' an hour+ down the Interstate, I would have used a bigger truck. Backroads of PA? Forget it.

Not here to tell you what to do and this is merely my opinion but, consider the max load that you ever intend to haul, then double it to reach a number for your TV's rating. I know it sounds like overkill, but the stress levels you apply to machinery takes its tolls...it ain't just the machinery that will suffer. What's gonna go through your mind if you find out the 'Taco ain't all it's cracked up to be when you haul that first empty Wildwood load? That's a fucked up thought feeling and you don't even own the trailer. :eek:

If you live in Kansas, disregard. :D

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

open & closed cell spray foam is slightly more flammable than the rigid stuff but not by much. I would suppose the gas fumes would be moreso and its proximity to the foam. For R value the foam needs a min of 2" which would be at least twice the typical trailer wall thickness. It'd work best for a floor or ceiling but then there's the cost. :D Easier to keep sheets of ready to cut foam in inventory than hiring a truck to come spray a small area and there's the day long off gassing process. Plus there is no "green building" initiative for trailers... yet. Plus trailers are a lil easier to condition :D Those little foam filler cans at the box stores cover ~8sq ft and have an R value less than 4 per inch. The rigid stuff is ~R5 or so.
    Biggest accessory Id look at would be a roof top deck. Anytime I see a trailer or camper with one for sale it gets sold very quickly. Seems to be popular with the horse and NASCAR folks.

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Tongue capacity is not payload capacity, and his Tacoma has more than 640 lbs. of payload.

*edit* went back to his original post and he said that his payload is around 2,000 lbs.

I tow my 8.5x20 toyhauler with my 2015 F150 V8. It is rated to tow 10K lbs. My trailer maxed out is at 7,500 lbs. I've probably only seen 6,500 at it's heaviest loaded for a weekend.

My tongue is rated for 500 lbs undistributed, and 1,000 lbs distributed. On average, the trailer will put 750-950 lbs on the trailer tongue depending on loadout.

My total truck payload capacity is 2,000 lbs, so with a fully loaded trailer hooked up and fully fueled truck, that leave me with a relatively comfortable 1,050 of remaining payload. I've taken my setup across the scales and I still have a comfortable amount of payload remaining at each axle as well, and the truck is not squatted in the back.......sits perfectly level from front to back.

ALL that being said, this setup performs VERY well. I don't get any drama down the highway. No sway, good responsiveness, tracks straight as an arrow even in heavy winds. Even with a few panic stops over the years I never felt like I was taking undue risk.

HOWEVER, I would never consider using this truck to tow anything bigger.

Just the overhang alone on bigger trailers is going to want to move these 1/2 ton trucks around like they're nothing with any significant crosswind or large semi passes.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  7. LossPrev

Misread tongue weight limit as payload. Well with a WD hitch and actual trailer weight with stuff, propane and battery the hitch weight will definitely be over 640lbs.

How the hell does a Tacoma have 2000lbs of payload? Google said the newer models are 1620 max but most will have options that lower that. Minimum is 1120 so you should be ok payload wise, in a weird way they have more payload than my 2019 1500.

Nemesis your setup is ideal for a half-ton. Perfect weights and trailer length. I would even be fine going to 25ish feet.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I know it's a "part" of payload (i.e. the weight on the tongue factors into your payload capacity calculations). I think it was just a typo on his (and maybe my) part.

My truck is a 2WD XLT crew cab, so it's at the higher end of the payload spectrum for this model. And the aluminum body gives it about a 400 lb advantage over a similarly-sized truck with a steel body. One of the reasons I bought it.

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My last ride was a Toyota FJ cruiser. It has the same motor and many other parts as a Tacoma and i pulled a 6x12 v nose with it. I can tell you it did not want any more than that. With the trailer fully loaded with 2 bikes and gear i could maybe get 10 or 11 mpg and the range was about 150 miles. It sucked going a long way like Barber or Roebling. If you're towing anything bigger than a 6x10 get something with a V8.

10. LossPrev

I edited my post, I misread where he said "tongue capacity". But I went back to his original post and he is talking about the CCC of the trailer has 2000lbs remaining because its GVWR is 6800lbs. Dry weight was 4700. We dont know what his payload is yet.

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Is this a cargo trailer that's been converted or a built toy hauler? For what I need I think a 8.5x20 would be perfect for my 2016 Sierra.

12. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I had a ‘07 Tacoma. Towed a low profile 6x10 with two bikes, gear, one bike in the bed and 3 people in the cab... it ran great. But I too would be hesitant towing anything that is tall, long and heavy.

Upgraded to a f150 eco boost with the 3.5 V6 towing a 30’ toy hauler with 27’ box. I don’t load it to the brim and feel fairly safe as I’m below the max towing capacity and GCVWR. Gas mileage sucks though... average 10mpg in mixed hills/flats condition.

cpettit likes this.
  13. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

LossPrev likes this.
  14. LossPrev

NemesisR6 likes this.
  15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Or get a used Touareg / Cayenne TDI. My Touareg TDI tows my 6'2" interior height 6x12 loaded to 3200 lb easily and gets 16-17 mpg while doing it. It could easily tow bigger and folks tow light 24' travel trailers with them and still get 13-14 mpg. Several on the Touareg forum say they tow better than their half tons within their limits. The short distance between the rear axle and hitch ball means a shorter lever arm for the trailer to "wag the dog". The longer that distance is, the easier it is for any sideways motion of the trailer to move the rear of the tow vehicle. The anti-sway electronics are also very good on them. The biggest limitation on them as a towing platform is the 660 / 700 lb tongue weight (depends on model year).

Remember that for toy haulers, propane and water can generally be balanced with a couple of bikes behind the axle. The problem comes when you want to camp without the bikes / tools / fuel etc. behind the axle.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

10 sounds pretty good to me with that TH

17. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised. Granted this is me not going crazy with the gas pedal, traveling at about 65-70mph max and using the downhills to my advantage. When I’m constantly gassing it it drops to 8-9mpg easily... 35 gallon gas tank does help to prevent numerous pit stops.

18. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Tacoma off Road is the following:
    Towing capacity: 6400
    Tongue load: 640
    Payload: 1175

I know this option will never be ideal, but its the best compromise between what the wife wants and what I want. I just dont want to regret it for the minimal amount of times it will actually be on the road.

19. LossPrev

If you are only towing short distances with no hills, keep your speed low it will probably do it. But how comfortable are you with constantly having to keep a tight hold of the steering wheel so you can counter steer into the wind? Are you ok with the truck dancing around in strong gusts or if you hit a large "whoop" that causes the trailer to lift or push the truck suspension?

If you are ok with all of that then you can make it work. We put 3000 miles towing like this last year and while it got the job done we skipped some trips and limited any trip to about 3-4 hours away. Multiple times while towing I said I'd never do it again while swearing profusely.

20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i have a 2019 tacoma sport double cab (crew) 4x4 3.5l v6 short bed, my door sticker says gvwr is 5600 lbs. from the manual, not many are over 6000, and the 4x4 status lowers this, & long bed lowers this. anything you add to the vehicle, running boards, trim, skid plates, HITCH, topper etc... lowers these numbers. most of the 4x4 crews have a capacity in the truck (truck, bed, occupants) of 1000 lbs or less. if you have a 600 pound tongue weight, you can effectively put another 400 in or on the truck, and you are over limit. two adults, and a pet, plus luggage, and you are over. can it do more? yes, should it be done, NOPE.

although we love our tacoma's they are really a baby truck, and shouldnt haul much of a trailer, definitely not a travel trailer, or large boat. and just because you put bigger springs, or air bags on a vehicle, doesnt mean you increased the towing capacity, you increased you ability to level the vehcile with weight added to it. that, and it isnt about can it move the item being towed... IT IS ABOUT STOPPING, AND CONTROLLING THE ITEM AT ALL TIMES, ESPECIALLY IN A PANIC, I NEED TO STOP SITUATION.

i cringe when i see baby suv's/trucks hauling big travel trailers, they are an accident waiting to happen. that tail is going to be wagging the dog, when push comes to shove. your results may vary. Ski