1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby toy haulers. Yay or nay

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Feb 20, 2020.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

if you are reading the above info online, i would start looking at your door tag, and owners manual. i am doubting, you have as much as you think you do (but, i could be wrong). tongue load, reduces payload. after you hook up the tongue weight, you have 535 pounds you can put in or on the truck TOTAL. personally the trailer you are looking at is too much for your truck. Ski

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    michaelrc51 likes this.
  3. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Yep... I had to go on a wild goose chase to figure out all the details from the door tag... axle ratio etc... well worth it though. I used this calculator to help me out: https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GVWR-and-Payload-Calc.xlsx

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

It's relative. I'm willing to spend more for build quality and peace-of-mind for most everything.

I just couldn't stomach the thought of a lesser-quality toy-hauler sitting outside in the Florida elements 24/7 and potentially having to deal with leaks/rot down the road. Nearly 3.5 years later and not a single issue with the ATC, and I know it will last as long as I want to keep it.....and if at some point I want to upgrade I certainly will be better-off financial on the sale of this trailer compared to just about anything else.

Wife and I are already thinking about their smallest 5th-wheel version for when we eventually want to be doing some long-term trips after the kids are out of the house......

5. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

The ATC toy haulers are incredible. Solid build and really clever features.

I'm currently having critical analysis paralysis between a few configurations. Either way I'm going to need to buy a new tow vehicle, and now seems like the time to buy a vehicle if you're hunting for a deal...

My current top options that I bounce back and forth between:
    1. Ford Ranger + 20 ft toy hauler
    2. Mercedes Metris + small camper trailer

Ranger has 7500 lb towing capacity so that ATC hauler will be near the limit when I fully load it but should be fine. The Metris has a 5000 lb towing capacity so I could fit a bike or two in the van and have a neat and small little camper. Heck, I'd have to check the max gross vehicle weight but I might even be able to fit a bike in the Metris, then tow a teeny toy hauler with another bike in it.

I played with the idea of getting a Transit which would have more capacity in the van itself as well as better towing capacity but we anticipate using this on a regular basis for hardware store runs and whatnot and that might be too big of a boy for day-to-day use.

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

No way in hell I would pull an 8.5x20 ATC behind a ranger. Regardless of the weight and the fact it's going to be really hard to get the pin weight down enough for it to take it. The surface area is going to be well over Ford's limits. Lot more to safely towing than just the weight of the trailer. Those maximum towing figures are usually obtained with low profile trailers that are perfectly balanced on a truck that's stripped of all it's options. There used to be some 6 and 7 foot wide aluminum trailers from Quicksilver that you would have a much better experience pulling.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

michaelrc51 and NemesisR6 like this.
  7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

IMHO, there's no way I'd tow my trailer with a Ranger. If not for the payload limitations then certainly for the motor.......that Ranger will be a struggle-bus trying to move that much wind-resistance down the highway, even with the better engine options.

8. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Both very fair points about the overall size. ATC used to make a 7 ft wide toy hauler, that would at least get a lot closer to the right frontal area...

I guess what's happening is I'm trying to figure out how to get the benefits/features of a half-ton truck without the size, and I need to accept the fact that the size is a really big part of what gives them those capabilities, haha. I just keep wishing an impossible solution exists.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  9. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

^^Im with stupid

10. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Look, all I'm saying is that physically there's nothing stopping me from attaching that toy hauler onto a Ford Fiesta.

Also, physically there would be nothing stopping that when I reached the first red light.

11. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I completely agree that ATC's are built like tanks and have some great American craftsmanship. I also won't say they are a bad "value" when you consider the longevity but I couldn't justify the up front price right now. The wife wasnt a big fan of the industrial look or the lack of any slides providing more interior room.

My toy hauler has aluminum and steel framing, Azdel walls and is built well enough that it will hold up just fine for the 5 years we plan on keeping it for. I could literally use this one for 5 years, throw it in a dump and buy another to use for 5 years and still be under the price for a 25' Front Bedroom ATC.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  12. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Follow up to my dumbassery... I said "screw it, I'm just going to buy a full size Transit."

Max towing capacity? Slightly less than the Ranger.

Max frontal area? Exactly the same as the Ranger.

As with most of my posts, I don't have a real point, I was just surprised at those numbers.

13. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

There is a guy on Youtube who towed a 27' toyhauler (or just a camper?) with a diesel Colorado with no issues. Last I saw he had gotten a diesel 1/2 ton Silverado but don't have the time to invest in watching all that, I'm sure that it's an upgrade.

I guess I'm playing it safe and tow my 28' trailer with a srw 1 ton truck. It's probably 8-9 K lbs. when loaded with the dirt bikes and some gear but it's 8.5' wide and almost as tall as a stacker. Couldn't pay me to hook it up behind a 1/2 ton and get it on the highway.

14. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Much better and can be built to last when starting with the right platform.

15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

That's because it's a unibody. The E-Series and Chevy vans will pull that much though. If you are buying new, the Chevy is getting the 6.6 gas next year. Or find one of the big Duramax equipped ones used and get towing and mileage at the same time. I hauled all kinds of trailers behind my old Express with the 6.0 gasser in it and never had any issues with it.

16. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Ah, that adds up. I keep waiting for Chevy to update their vans but if it's not broke don't fix it I suppose! Thanks for the info.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Y'all seen this, right?
    Colorado + small 2900# GVWR offroad trailer + 40mph + 3' dip/whoop/whatever =
    [​IMG]
    Apparently, it doesn't matter if you're well below the tow limits when you get caught off guard.

Imagine jumping a curb maxed out on your load so you don't ass-pack the traffic that unexpectedly came to a screeching halt. (It could happen. :confused:)
    I don't think it matters what you're driving if you're maxed out on your capacity...when it goes wrong, it could be epic. :oops:

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I will add my toyhauler was purchased used 2008ish and we used it through 2014 (so they can last more than 5 years) and then it sat for another 5 years with only occasional use so I'm looking at getting rid of it. I had to reseal the roof and fix a few things, but it still has value, has a good generator, fridge, water hearer, microwave, restroom, a brand new canopy.....etc. No way I could justify the "baller" money it takes to buy the ATC.....but picking up a used 10 year old ATC, maybe I could justify the depreciated price of getting that from someone else?

19. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

if you research this story more guy was going 40 mph on a off road two track and jumped a 3 foot whoop when the frame had enough and folded when it bottomed out. supposedly it also snapped the trailer axle.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Allow me to repeat myself...by proxy. :rolleyes: