1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby toy haulers. Yay or nay

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Feb 20, 2020.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yea, my 8.5x20 isn't as heavily optioned as yours, the big thing being the fuel tank/station and onboard generator yours has.

Completely empty mine puts about 700-750 lbs. on the tongue, and loaded up for the weekend with 3/4 tank of water, gear, and a single bike that comes up to around 900-950 lbs. I have a WD hitch rated to 1,000 lbs.

Across the scales while fully loaded, I'm still plenty under the axle/GAWR/GVWR/etc of the truck.

With your setup having the onboard generator (those Onan's are awesome, BTW), you'll probably be pushing 900-1,000 lbs on the tongue dry. Adding water/fuel/etc. will push that well above 1K, so keep an eye on your axle weights in the truck........having the Morgan (beautiful, BTW!) in the back will certainly help offset that a bit.

These trailers are built like a brick fuckin shithouse, and tow like a dream. Have never had a single bit of drama, and the F150 V8 handles it just fine. Sure, it's no diesel, but it does the job admirably well.

Again, congrats........they're amazing units.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Knolly likes this.
  2. NemesisR6

Here are my weights with the trailer loaded up with maybe 75 gallons of water, gear for a short weekend, and 3 occupants in the truck:

IMG_3586.jpg

As you can see, I'm well shy of the ~7,000 lb rating at the trailer axles (7,700 lbs total).

Max axle ratings on my F150 super crew 2WD w/V8 are:
    Front - 3,150 lbs
    Rear - 3,800 lbs

Payload capacity is just south of 2,000 lbs, so with this setup I'm still comfortably within the acceptable ranges.

Phl218 and SuddenBraking like this.
  3. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more on how great these trailers are. I got lucky finding a nicely optioned one. Unfortunately I didn't consider the effect of it having a 4 inch lift so loading the Morgan requires race ramps, but live and learn...

The Onan generator is great. As far as the generator itself, obviously it's not as nice as a Honda/Yamaha inverter, but having the big gas tank and a push button start just makes the convenience factor amazing.

Next time I have the Morgan loaded up and all of the fluids I'll check the tongue weight. I've towed it empty with a normal hitch but fully loaded with a WD hitch and in both cases it towed great with the plain ol' gas Silverado 1500.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  4. NemesisR6

Oh, and if you can manage to get the rest of those decals off I’d recommend doing so. Looks like the front is already deteriorating.

Taking them off was the first thing I did when getting mine home......just more trouble than they’re worth.

If they leave the paint behind a little darker, a quick pass with a machine polisher should even it out since it’s baked enamel on the aluminum exterior.

Knolly likes this.
  5. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Good timing, I started working on that earlier today. The front decal looks terrible at the moment and just needs to come off altogether.

6. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I’m envious of the ATCs. They look to be really nice. Rented a toy hauler for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was a Gray Wolf 22RR. Towed with Cayenne. Used a weight distribution system that made it ok. Was missing my old 2500 Ram though. Cayenne did ok through the mountains though. Much better than a class C motor home.

Wife and five year old daughter both had fun. Considering whether to get a 8.5x20 or front bedroom 25 ATC model. Experience says the bigger model would be better. But that would mean a new tow vehicle too...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BigBird, TurboBlew, ducnut and 3 others like this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

9. SSIGator

SSIGator Member

I want to give some follow up...

I finally bought an ATC TH. Was shopping for a 8.5 x 20, but came across a well-optioned 2020 8.5 x 24 which is only 500lb more (no gen). Really like this thing. Had my Yamaha wr 250 and 3 Honda 110’s in it this weekend...it slept 3 kids (on the Happijac) and myself (on convertible dinette bed) rather well.

I keep it at or below 65 mph and it tows great with my 2015 Sequoia (with fresh water 3/4 full). Using an Anderson WDH. I can go faster but my gas mileage takes a big hit... I get around 9 mpg when I keep it below 65. But this is pretty flat terrain in GA.

Super solid construction...glad I got it...wife even likes it, which I didn’t expect!

LossPrev, BigBird, ducnut and 5 others like this.
  10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Pics?

11. NemesisR6

Welcome to the club!

What I like most about mine right now is I could easily sell it for more than what I paid new back in late 2016.......practically unheard of in the RV/trailer market.

Wife and I are budgeting an upgrade to possibly their smallest 5th wheel farther down the line when the kids are out of the house, as we really want to spend some time on the road for extended durations. With the ability to work remote becoming more viable/accepted, this is something that may not have to wait till retirement......

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What's that rig weigh? Seems like a LOT to pull with a Sequoia

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

the beeb is still alive. Asking for pics of the wife in the next post :beer:

SuddenBraking likes this.
  14. NemesisR6

24 footer is around 6K lbs dry, with another ~4K lbs carrying capacity, so it could push 10K fully loaded.

IMHO probably a bit much for a Sequoia (I think it maxes out at 7,600 lbs or so), but if he's not hauling fully loaded up it should do OK.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Bah. Those darn engineers put a safety factor in. Kind of like a if the red limiter doesnt kick in till after redline....then its OK to push it over. Safety factor.

16. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Plus it helps that they went ridiculous and really bumped the price up for 2021 models.

I was all geared up to buy a new 2021 20 ft until I found out that with very light options it was over 60K. No thanks.

17. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Yeah i was kind of bummed to see that also. We just bought a FSX 260RXT platinum for literally 1/3 the cost. Too bad i am going to spend a lot of time being pissed at it and fixing it....

LossPrev likes this.
  18. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I think we need a "non-baby" toy hauler thread.

I just realized I have more posts in this thread than probably all others combined, I should just sell the motorcycle and focus on my toy hauler haha

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You still liking the one that you picked up recently?

20. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

I loved the 20 ft that I had but it had an elevated deck which grated on me every time I used it since I had to carry around three huge race ramps to get my Morgan in.

I shopped around and replaced it with a 2020 25ft model that has a bedroom. A bit less garage space but it's nice to have a dedicated sleeping area and storage, plus the previous owner put in vinyl plank flooring to make it feel a bit cozier. Plus the deck is 7 inches lower than my old one so I can load it without ramps.

I had a laughably quick turnaround on that first trailer, but it probably says something that the only thing I wanted to replace it with was of the same brand.

NemesisR6 and SuddenBraking like this.