1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby toy haulers. Yay or nay

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I am interested in something like this, but I currently have a CX9, which can only tow 3,500 lbs. Would an SUV with a 5,000 lbs tow capacity be able to handle this with one bike and gear? I am seeing dry weights for these types around 3,100 to 3,300 lbs.

2. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I've got that same trailer and I would expect it would be quite a handful towing with a CX9. Not to say it can't be done...I"ve seen way bigger trailers being towed by small SUV's. Still, gross weight is a little over 5,000 which you probably would not hit with just 1 bike and gear. The trailer is over 10 feet tall though and 7 feet wide and the wind will likely pull your SUV all around like you are dragging a parachute. Also what is the tongue rating on your hitch? I weighed mine without the bike in it and tongue weight was like 550 pounds. I towed mine previously with a Tundra and now an F-150 and they pull it fine but even with a half ton truck the wind can be an issue sometimes. Plus stopping it as well. My .02

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I towed it with a 5.7L Ram 1500 and it towed very easily. I have seen lots of folks who tow these with the smaller tow vehicles use a weight distribution hitch and swear by them.

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

For a mid-sized SUV to tow that Wolf Pup, pick up a used Touareg, preferably a diesel. As others stated, watch that tongue weight.
    Another option is a 4-Runner. Cayenne or Q7 if you have deep pockets.
    Mid-sized SUVs with a 5000 lb towing will work, but those listed above (and a few others) will work better.

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Panamera (Even the v6) have 8800 lbs tow Rating ;)

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

We are talking about SUVs here, not hatchbacks. ;)

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

oh, i thought appropriate tow vehicles :D

8. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Resurrecting this since this thread made me look seriously at lil' toy haulers.

I don't know if it counts as a baby toy hauler but I just took delivery of an 8.5x20 ATC toy hauler and holy hell, why did I wait so long. I love this thing. It has everything.

StaccatoFan and Ducti89 like this.
  9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Pics or it didn't happen.

maslov likes this.
  10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Congrats! What tow vehicle did you end up with?

11. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

I didn't take many photos but here's a couple I snagged:
    [​IMG]

Look at this smug nerd who loves his trailer:
    [​IMG]

Drop down happijac bed in the garage area:
    [​IMG]

Wound up with a fairly nicely equipped Silverado 1500 as a third vehicle. I borrowed an 8.5x18 trailer a few times from a friend and it towed like a dream so I can't wait to pull the ATC with it.

wera313, NemesisR6, LossPrev and 8 others like this.
  12. SuddenBraking

Awesome looking trailer - congrats!

13. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Wow that is awesome, love the look inside and out.

14. SuddenBraking

@Knolly What's the wet and dry weight of that trailer? Looking around online and get all kinds of variation in the reported weights.

Asking because my tow vehicle is only rated for 7K.

15. Lawdog78

If that's the 20 foot model dry is estimated 4500# If by wet you mean the gvwr, it's around 7700# according to the ATC website

16. SuddenBraking

How much heavier is the 24'?

17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Awesome man, congrats. It seems ATC is incapable of making anything that doesn’t look absolutely cool.

18. Lawdog78

GVWR on the 24' is 11,440. Base weight though is 5000# so only 500 pounds heavier. Both of them are pretty heavy on the tongue weight

https://www.aluminumtoyhauler.com/models.html

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

I believe my dry weight is about 5000 lbs for a heavily optioned 20 footer. When it comes to wet weight, keep in mind the fresh water tank is HUGE. Filling it with 100 gallons will add quite a bit. I also have the generator and fueling station, so there's another 30 gallons of gas in the tank. Next time I get it loaded up I'll check the tongue weight and maybe swing by the scales at my work to check fully loaded weight. I have about 9000 lbs of towing capacity and it tows fantastically with the 1200 lb Morgan loaded in there.

Took it to my first track day last Monday, I can't believe I waited this long. It is SO nice having an A/Ced room to chill out in. I didn't sleep in it this time but will fairly soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolutely in love with this thing, it does everything I need so well.

20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Congrats on the ATC!

Coming up on 4 years owning/loving mine......

IMG_2737.jpg

wera313, Knolly and maslov like this.