1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attn car salesmen

Discussion in 'General' started by Funkm05, Apr 11, 2021.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

$500/week draw, 70 hours a week. You do the math. YOLO.

In all seriousness if you're one of those people that have never met a stranger this might a job for you. If you're a true salesman you will make bank and probably enjoy it as well. I think a lot of people don't make it due to the fact that their income is directly dependent on their production, this is a bit of a shock for most people coming from hourly/salaried positions where you get paid regardless. That's why salesman turnover is huge.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Whatever you do, if you make this career change and someone asks you the price of a vehicle do not respond with "what do you want the payment to be". For me that is the most annoying part of dealing with auto sales people.

OldGuyOnBlu, BigBird and burnham like this.
  3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Seems like the consensus is that I have a one in a million chance of loving being a car salesman. Yesssss!

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

upload_2021-4-12_11-2-7.png

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

When I'm like 68 years old and DGAF about anything (even more than now), it would be a blast to try and sell new Porsches or some other high end car. That would be sooooo entertaining. I'd have to get my fake British accent down really good before hand.

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I'd suggest to work on the your Deutsch accent instead.

Unless you mean Jaguar when you say Porsche....

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sounds like we have a WOOSH situation up in here.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

We go through a lot of cars. Out of the last 10 new cars we bought, i would say me 8 out of them were negotiated strictly through email with a follow-up call. Truecar really makes thing easy, just even as a point of reference, and also can be used to get an even better deal too sometimes.

Also, if you can get one of these...i know a buyer :D

[​IMG]

ducnut likes this.
  9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

was just kidding bout getting in to it. Ive been in sales for over 10 years and alway been 100% commission. My last gig was salaried though but most in that part of the industry usually is

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Never been a car salesman, but I actually like that part of the job. Now it helps if you have a good product to represent.

Started in software sales at 22 and I was a programmer so I knew the software inside and out. I think I was making 2500 a month as a programmer and would be getting a raise shortly.

Moved into sales in Sept of 86. I don’t recall if I sold anything before December, but in December I closed 6 deals and that would have paid me around $12-18k, depending on the size of them. I got the $2500 base and $1k bonus/commission.

So I asked to go straight commission. They did end up giving me a draw against commission at some point. I grossed just over 100k a year for the next few years with them, but I had to cover expenses, which was airfare, hotels and rental cars. Still was a great deal for a 23-26 yr old kid.

Well then you need to go sell Jaguar, McClaren or Range Rovers.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    418 likes this.
  11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I work at a used car dealership although I'm not in sales.
    F car salesmen. That is all.

BigBird, Raceless man and Phl218 like this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea f..k those guys that pay your salary.....that’s the spirit...the American way, baby

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Well ... turned it down. I guess I’ll continue on with the hell I'm in now for a bit longer.

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  14. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I can front you a kilo so you don’t have to suck dicks bruv... I gotchoo

motoracer1100 likes this.
  15. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

Serious ask as you are in HR. Is anyone enjoying their job right now. I’m in Agriculture and it’s tough sledding out there right now. Seems to me there’s folks that are busier with more work they can get done in 80 hours a week and then guys who ain’t doing squat. And everyone is hating whatever the quirks of the jobs are and circumstances are not getting easier

GRH likes this.
  16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

@nigel smith Do Not accept anything from
    him! You’ll never be able to repay him. At worst, he’ll make you his pit “bitch” and you don’t want that.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

No to your first sentence and yes to the second.

bigtime likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

plus he probably has a shark on retainer...lol

19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I do need a new coffee table....

crashman, Jed and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Best I can tell, no. No one is enjoying their job and it’s all my fault. :crackup:

For me, I just don’t have the interest in putting up with this same crap or worse for the next 20 years. Between the govt regulations coming down the pike, and the whole “it’s always someone else’s fault” mentality, I’m just over HR ... especially in manufacturing. Just honestly don’t know what else to do after 20 years of this already.

bigtime likes this.