1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 Reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

There is a recall on valve shims.

The current tuning that is going on is quite limited. I don't think anyone has truly cracked the ECU yet, most are tuning with some kind of piggyback system. Everyone is staying tight lipped. My buddy just got an ECU to open up, they will see what kind of processor is in there and how best to communicate with it.

It's critical because the Ride By Wire uses a torque map and a fuel map- so adjusting the fuel map during a build won't necessarily change the power curve if the butterflies are still trying to change the torque curve to suit the torque map that Aprilla designed- based on the grip of a stock tire? Who knows. It's never going to come off the corner hard if the butterflies aren't full open at lower RPM.

That's why it's important to find a tuner that can actually communicate with the ECU and see what the butterflies are doing. Modifying the torque map (which was partially designed for traction control) will also mean all that traction control stuff may get messed up too.

#new bike problems.
    It wasn't a hose.

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Was it fuel or water?

3. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

That is certainly interesting. The pump housing or the actual head?

I guess the Italians are having a hard time ramping up production in the current times. New bike problems indeed.

At least if mine blows up, Aprilia parts are cheap and plentiful....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Circacee likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Watched race 1 last night, was ready to retract my reliability skepticism...until I ready the above. BTW good ride Parrish!

Didn't seem to me like they had any power advantage, I think they swept the podium because the fast kids and good teams are on them. What struck me the most was the lack of Yamahas...so much for them putting the SV out to pasture.

Badger911GT3 and RRP like this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The yamaha superbike engine is awesome but the chassis sucks from what everyone in the know says.
    It seems like the ape is a proper frame and chassis, and it's lacking on the low end in the stock engine setup, it'll be interesting to see how it fairs at other tracks and if they allow modifications

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I thought the chassis was good but like any superbike, triples and linkage are needed. But you're right that the Aprilia is like an actual sportbike chassis whereas on the SV and Yamaha you can definitely feel it as a starter bike cheapish feel.

stk0308 and noles19 like this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Do you have any info on the valve issue?

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I dunno. I know that the shims are different and thats it. The recall is about the shims, not the valves. But who knows. maybe there was a bad batch of shims because they don't afffect all the bikes we've sold.

noles19 likes this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Wow.

Attached Files:

10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

So what’s the verdict? Are these things blowing up under racing conditions? Are the failures stock engines?

Senna likes this.
  11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Newyork, motion and noles19 like this.
  12. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Senna and MyWayGuy like this.
  13. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Must be a launch device

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Monsterdood likes this.
  15. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

105 Hp and 337 pounds claimed? That’s crazy talk!

16. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

105 CRANK so 93-94rwhp. It's a 5hp bump.

337 DRY so roughly 370-375lbs topped off with fluids. 25-30lb weight loss from stock.

rice r0cket likes this.
  17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

We're seeing 343 on the MA scales with a gallon of fuel in the tank. That's with Dymags.

5axis, Monsterdood and Shenanigans like this.
  18. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

impressive!

Thats 360lbs topped off if it’s a 3.6 gallon fuel tank.
    Dymags are responsible for how much of that - 5-6lbs less than stock for the set?

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A. Barrister likes this.
  20. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Whatcha reckon? About 15lb of wiring on them things?