1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 Reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Oct 12, 2020.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Looks like these reviews are starting to pop up on youtube. Seems like an awesome bike considering it's competition (SV650/FZ07?). The reviewers all seem to really dig the important bits (frame, gearbox, engine). I REALLY wish Ducati would make something in this realm. Hopefully in a few years these Aprilias will be relatively plentiful and parts won't be on perpetual backorder.

Visually I think it looks awesome, but man, I wish the frame was polished like the concept. I've always loved that touch on the RSVs.

[​IMG]

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Yes it’s gonna murder that twins class.

I predict that motoamerica will have to let the ktm in and the fz and Sv will be dinosaurs.

As for parts, I don’t see that as a problem. Aprilia is very very solid for filling orders. At least in my experience

3. nlzmo400r

The KTM is a 790 or 890 though right? Aren’t current limits 700cc?

Maybe let the Ducati SS 821 run as well and just impose a weight penalty for displacement. All that sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

MotoAmerica aside, do these actually sell in the market? The "sporty but not hypersport" 600s?

Honda has the CBR650R as well, can't say I've ever seen one.

5. nlzmo400r

No, but to be fair aside from this RS660 when has there been a truly racey LWT? This is kinda a new thing/alternative to 600cc 4cyl

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

In CCS SVs will still be able to hold Ultralight Superbike, the RS is 8.5cc too big for the class.

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Has Aprilia released the US pricing yet?

8. nlzmo400r

No, but it looks like $12k-ish is to be a expected.

9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I asked the MA Tech Director about it this weekend and I was standing next to a fellow Twins rider that has some of these Aprilia's on order. The Tech Director commented that the bike fits within the existing rules and it is in the right range on price and that most of us need to work on our riding more than what we ride :crackup:. He's not wrong, Rocco would have qualified 14th in Twins this weekend if he was on his ~50HP 400cc JC bike. At the pointy end of the field, I think the M4 and Robem SV's and the fast FZ's will be just fine against the Aprilia, but the Aprilia will hopefully need less money and less development to get there! It would be nice to be able to compete up front without spending 20-30k+ on an SV / FZ / EX.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Lets see 12K ish for bike...suspension work, bodywork, race parts, exhaust... yep about 20K.

But you will have eye-talian cams so you got that going for ya...

Circacee and Ducti89 like this.
  11. Monsterdood

LOL.. right, I have it in my mind that you will do less stuff to this one to be competitive. When I built the Kawi originally, it was 7k OTD and then I had 5k into the engine work to get around 90HP (at the wheel) so maybe it's about the same... I'm just happy to see new entrants with modern designs for both the National series and club racing too.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I never saw one until Covid. Now, there's a bunch of them around here on Sundays. Cheap, fun and people could actually buy one off the showroom floor.

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

It sounds like if it does what it supposed to, you wont have to do motor work..but even 'normal' prep of street bike to AMA level race bike would be...what about 4-5K minimum.

But maybe a midpack guy could get one and be closer to the front due to its superior straight line skillz...:D

14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

This picture above is actually an RS250 SP.

15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

That would be the worst thing MA could do unless they want 10 bikes on the grid. If MA does their homework, they'll get the rules package figured out and limit mods on the Ape to level the playing field. My prediction is they will let it in, but limit it to stock bore and stroke initially, then adjust accordingly.

Robby-Bobby and 5axis like this.
  16. Monsterdood

Agree. The KTM was outside the rules and they evaluated an exception or a rule change and decided no. The Aprilia is inside the current rules so it's probably more a matter of committing to the homologation process. I think that falls on the OEM not the teams but some nudging from a team or two would probably be good unless we already know Aprilia USA intends to pursue homologation.

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

At current exchange rates, it’s looking like ~$13K. That’s a pretty big ask, I think.

4D56EB84-05AF-44D0-80B7-B968BCB9DA78.jpeg

Pollyden and 418 like this.
  18. nlzmo400r

They don't always come over for exact exchange rates, but valid point. Either way, for a LWT twin, what other choices do you have? This appears head and shoulders above the SV/FZ07/CB650 out of the box.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I completely agree, it’s a step above. But, for the general population, I think, it’s going to be a big ask. And, that’s the market the bike needs to sell to, in order to justify its future.

20. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

This bike has my interest but the nearest dealer being 4 hours away gives me pause.