1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Thank you for using that term. It is kinda a pet peeve of mine when people say "disposable income". There is nothing disposable about my income. :rolleyes:

SteveThompson and pscook like this.
  2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Each watch is pressure tested to 4.5 tons of pressure. It has a helium escape valve. It is still a certified chronometer with an in house movement. I think it is a highly technical achievement to have all of those things in one watch. I could see how calling it the ultimate tool watch is maybe more accurate.

I’ve actually never seen one in the wild before. I’m guessing nobody will notice it. I wear a nice watch almost every day and I get maybe 1 comment a year. Usually from a collector.

You can read more about it here-
    https://www.rolex.com/content/dam/rolexcom/e-brochures/rolex-deepsea/rolex_rolex-deepsea_en.pdf

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Steve, in my mind and my world (talking Dave K world here. lol) there are maybe 4 or 5 watches I notice and mark out for:

Rolex GMT Pan Am metal bezel - my grail watch. I love this watch, it could be the only watch I owned if #2 didn't exist. I regret every damn damn not getting one. I WILL own one!
    #2 IWC Big Pilot. I would live with just a pepsi and a Big Pilot. Maybe a timex or apple watch as a third for every day but a Big Pilot and a pan am, boner city.
    #3 IWC pilot chrono. I'll buy one sooner or later. I love this watch.
    #4 Deep Sea. A Sub on steroids! I know one when I see it across an airport. It's like buying a shortbed F350 diesel to commute 10 miles a day but, f@ck, those 10 miles would rawk!
    Longshot - White face ExpII

Other watches near the list would be an IWC Cousteau orange and blue (stupid Mayer ruined this one), Panerai 088 (had one and sold it), Daytona SS (too many cockheads I've dealt with have had them and have killed it), Breitling emergency (had one and it was a complete pile of shit. The Yugo of watches) and the Speedmaster. There are some Tags, IWCs and Pateks I'd love to have but I love tool watches and #1, #2 and my longshot, I could call it a day.

(I'd still lust after a deep sea and regret not getting one back in 2000, 2004 or 2010 if I had my three)

4. SteveThompson

I’m surprised by the Big Pilot. It just doesn’t do much for me. I did buy an IWC Chrono as a retirement gift for an employee last year. I liked it A LOT. I’ll probably have one at some point.

My (achievable) grail watch is a Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711/1A. It’s just incredible. I’m supposed to be on the list for one but I don’t know what that really means. I think you need to go in and buy $100k of diamonds to have a chance.

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/nautilus/5711-1A-010

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I can get on board with that list.

Add in an OG Seamaster 300 Big Triangle and a old Speedy Moon watch and you have a pretty solid collection.

And a Seiko Capt Willard...and maybe an Arnie...I know its got a battery but its Arnie from Predator and Commando so we'll allow it.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I loved the Nautilus and came <....this close....> to getting one a few times (usually too many beers, too good of a quarter or just too much lust) but they never sat right or felt right. Plus I'd still be paying it off. :D. Just not for me. (and the second hour hand on the dual time looks too much like a wang).

Man, I don't understand my obsession with the Big Pilot. I'm a smaller dude with big wrists and hands and it just looks weird on me, it's a pretty stupid watch size wise and it's not all that attractive but. . . it's Uma Thurman in pulp fiction to me. :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know one person with a deep sea and I hate him :D I at one point seriously considered selling a bike and buying a deep sea blue...

SteveThompson likes this.
  8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I hate what this thread has turned me into......

Went for a test drive in the new Taycan Turbo (absolutely insane, BTW) and couldn't stop staring at this guy's white Daytona.

[​IMG]

9. ChemGuy

I always feel like Im getting value when buying something from a guy wearing a $15-20-30K watch.

Kind of like using a contractor that shows up in lifted brodozer and going...there's 150K in that thing...this guy is giving me a great price....:rolleyes:

:D

NemesisR6 likes this.
  10. NemesisR6

On a side note, I may be in the final stages of securing what will likely be my first and only luxury watch purchase. My 40th birthday is coming up, and I'm looking at something that I've lusted over for many years.

I'll be sure to update here if I am able to make it happen.....

Jedb likes this.
  11. SteveThompson

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

12. SteveThompson

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, right. :D

What's your gateway watch gonna be?

Jedb likes this.
  14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I got a Tudor Tiger chronograph for my 30th. All my relatives pitched in.

I got an Omega Seamaster “Bond” special edition for my 40th.

I got a Panerai Radiomir GMT for my 50th.

While “first and only luxury watch purchase” is a nice goal, be prepared for the rabbit hole.

And happy birthday.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  15. NemesisR6

LOL. I knew that part of my post was gonna get some flak. You gents never disappoint.

Really, I've looked at most everything in a similar/lower/higher price range and the only thing that keeps me coming back and even considering spending that much on personal luxury item is the Omega Speedmaster professional moonwatch. Been obsessed with space exploration since I can remember, and it's the only watch series that "connects" with me at all. Everything else just seems too impersonal........though many are very marvelous to look at and admire their craftsmanship.

I've decided on the sapphire sandwich version. I realize that purists will contend it's not a true moonwatch, but honestly that doesn't really matter to me. Neither does that fact that there is very little chance it will ever be a true collectors item. This is something that I could see owning for the rest of my life, and someday leaving to my son, who is cut from the same space-crazy cloth. Again, I can't say the same for anything else I've looked at.

I've been in contact with a dealer that is hoping to have one available within the next couple weeks. I've considered buying online via other popular gray market retailers, but he is able to match gray market prices and it is shipped directly to me via a small network of AD's that he works with.

I'll update here if it comes to fruition......

j cal, OGs750, Jedb and 2 others like this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think you're going about getting your gateway watch 100% in the right way and you did your research. :up:

What piques your interest, you're going to keep it and give it to your kid and not giving a rat's ass about the watch as an investment. Nice! :up:

Gray market I like for certain, lower dollar watches. When a watch gets above a dollar value and some other "ideas in my head" I'll only go AD. That's me. :)

NemesisR6 likes this.
  17. ChemGuy

Annnnnddd so it begins.

Next it will be a seamaster co axial..cause they're awesome.

Then a vintage 145.012.....or a snoopy.

Then you'll want another space watch..like a nice Seiko Pogue.

And the infection will spread.....bwaaa haa ha

j cal and NemesisR6 like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dan, I hope an elephant f@cks you in the ass! You had go and mention a snoopy. Now I'm going to be googling and checking for a preowned one for the next few weeks to see what they are going for.

An elephant! In your ass! :crackup:

SteveThompson, ChemGuy and Phl218 like this.
  19. ChemGuy

LMGTFY....
    https://watchcharts.com/watch/1350/overview

Phl218 likes this.
  20. SteveThompson

The Speedmaster is a perfect choice. I don't know all of the models very well. Is the one you are looking at an automatic?

NemesisR6 likes this.